McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

Structural T wings, I guess if they put enough appendages on them it'll look less like beach footwear. Anyone think we'll see miniature horns on the halo reminiscent of the the 2008 Sauber?
Saishū kōnā

Craigy

godlameroso wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 00:25
Structural T wings, I guess if they put enough appendages on them it'll look less like beach footwear. Anyone think we'll see miniature horns on the halo reminiscent of the the 2008 Sauber?
The limit is about 30mm, so no appendages. There might be sharkteeth, like on the Force India fin this year.

More likely, it'll be boomerang-shaped flow conditioners, which is what we're already seeing.

proteus

Im still waiting for better looking solutions (better looking Halo design) which Todt has promised when Halo was introduced. Aparently another lie to calm people down before smacking them on their cheeck when the season starts.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

PhillipM

Yeah, nobody is using the covers for 'aesthetics' - it's gonna be full of flicks, wings, spoilers and vortex generators, they'll be even more of an eyesore.

bauc

proteus wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 21:49
Im still waiting for better looking solutions (better looking Halo design) which Todt has promised when Halo was introduced. Aparently another lie to calm people down before smacking them on their cheeck when the season starts.
I agree, it was just a makeup to cover the story. The only thing I'm guessing is where will the mounting points be for the halo on the MCL33, everything else it should more or less the same as we see in the photo above.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

godlameroso

The main area of development will still be the bargeboards and diffuser, and tweaking the front wing so that they can optimize the function of the bargeboards and diffuser, along with the under nose turning vanes. Another area that will receive plenty of focus is the floor section near the sidepod undercut. Obviously they'll have to make compromises to fit the Renault engine, but that's mostly through chassis airflow. I expect a big improvement in drag reduction as the season moves on, as McLaren optimize the cooling package, as well as the airflow inside the engine cover and sidepods.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle

For me, one of the biggest questions will be what kind of intercooler they will run. RedBull runs air-to-air coolers and so does Renault I think. With Honda they ran water coolers and with Mercedes? Their teams all have/had their own solutions...

It's one of the few places, together with fuel, where you could make a (small) difference...

godlameroso

Perhaps the Renault engine doesn't require water charge cooling. The main aspect of an intercooler as far as performance goes is actually the end tanks. Where the layout will make a big difference is on aero performance, we don't see it since it's under the skin of the car, but believe me, that area get's just as much attention as the outside of the car in an aero performance context. The speed at which airflow enters and leaves the sidepods, the path it takes, where pressure is bled off, the temperature differences, all of these details can have profound effects on drag and downforce levels. So it's definitely extra work, and the schedule may interrupt things from going according to plan.

Luckily reliability shouldn't be as much a concern as it was this year, so they should be able to iron out any niggles through testing. McLaren has historically been able to respond quickly, I can remember quite a few times when they were able to turn around issues in testing to go on and do well in the season.
Saishū kōnā

roon

Sources say McLaren pursuing a "size-zero" concept for the intercoolers. The atmosphere around Woking is upbeat, with insiders saying they're looking forward to a competitive 2018. Hasegawa, when queried on the rumor, tweeted "We got out just in time."

Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 22:12
Perhaps the Renault engine doesn't require water charge cooling. The main aspect of an intercooler as far as performance goes is actually the end tanks. Where the layout will make a big difference is on aero performance, we don't see it since it's under the skin of the car, but believe me, that area get's just as much attention as the outside of the car in an aero performance context. The speed at which airflow enters and leaves the sidepods, the path it takes, where pressure is bled off, the temperature differences, all of these details can have profound effects on drag and downforce levels. So it's definitely extra work, and the schedule may interrupt things from going according to plan.

Luckily reliability shouldn't be as much a concern as it was this year, so they should be able to iron out any niggles through testing. McLaren has historically been able to respond quickly, I can remember quite a few times when they were able to turn around issues in testing to go on and do well in the season.
Indeed, flow under the skin is very important. But with my simple logic the cooling of the charged air will take roughly the same amount of air weather its direct with air-to-air cooling or water cooling. The difference would be, in my mind, a shorter route from charger to cylinder with a bit more weight (water cooling) vs a longer route and lighter (air-to-air). Engine response vs weight.

roon

Packaging benefits mainly, I'd say, plus some benefits to having an active element within the loop (the water pump and valves). Engine response not really an issue; the MGUH can keep the requisite pressure/volume of air in the plenum regardless of these relatively small difference in pipe lengths.

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 04:34
NathanOlder wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:26
a Turbo will weigh 30KG!! Wow, really that heavy! ?
The size of the turbo they're using, if they were using standard materials, it would easily weigh that much, plus 8kg for the MGU-H, so probably ~20kg for the compressor and turbine assembly. These are a fair bit bigger than the turbos in most road cars, in fact bigger than most tuned road cars.

I'd say F1 turbos are sized around this big.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/N_DJnotNPPY/maxresdefault.jpg

Hah u must be kidding me. Lol.

I used to collect old turbos in high school. Big truck turbos that you can stick your fist in. I could lift them up and
believe me, i aint strong. 30kg is just Impossible for F1. They use thin walled stainless steel/inconel turbine housings. The compressor hosuing is light alloy. Probably even magnesium or some fancy stuff. Nope!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

roon