Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Re: Honda Power Unit

In the first two pictures what is the tank thing to the left of the inlet to the compressor (with the vertical flat side)?
Where does the oil tank go - in the space to the left of the tank thing I am asking about?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

wuzak wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 06:21
roon wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 01:00
I spy two actuators on the compressor. One for wastegate, one for guide vanes.
Variable geometry turbos are not allowed, so I assume that means no to adjustable guide vanes.
Only variable geometry turbines are banned, variable vane compressor diffusers and variable compressor inlet vanes are not explicitly forbidden.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

tok-tokkie wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 10:03
In the first two pictures what is the tank thing to the left of the inlet to the compressor (with the vertical flat side)?
Where does the oil tank go - in the space to the left of the tank thing I am asking about?
That is the oil tank! :))

diffuser

I was surprised by how much space the whole compressor and air intake tubing takes. In my mind's eye it was far less than that. It appears to be Half the distance from the front of the ICE to the rear. I was expecting less than from the front of the ICE to 1st cylinder.

bill shoe
bill shoe

That's a compact overall package. The engine and systems used to be sprawled over the entire back of the car. Now a much more complex power unit is packaged into a single consolidated lump (and not a very big one). I can't even see an MGU-K on the lower-left side of the block, is it located there or somewhere else?

turbof1

bill shoe wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 17:19
That's a compact overall package. The engine and systems used to be sprawled over the entire back of the car. Now a much more complex power unit is packaged into a single consolidated lump (and not a very big one). I can't even see an MGU-K on the lower-left side of the block, is it located there or somewhere else?
The whole PU is also shaped to accentuate flow towards the rear wing. Very intrigueing indeed.
#AeroFrodo

noname
noname

Mudflap wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 10:10
Only variable geometry turbines are banned, variable vane compressor diffusers and variable compressor inlet vanes are not explicitly forbidden.

Variable geometry on the cold end is allowed and is being raced since the begining of V6 era.

godlameroso

Varying cold side helps with different combustion strategies?
Saishū kōnā

roon
roon

bill shoe wrote:
It's just barely visible beneath the exhaust headers.

The intake trumpet/snorkel has a sharp 90* bend entering the compressor. The Merc PU uses a more gentle sweep.

Note the Merc compressor has an actuator in the same location as the Honda, at 5 o'clock.

Anyone know what the small Honda-logo'd box at the very top of the engine is? It's connected to the intake trumpet post-filter.

gruntguru wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 03:21
roon wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 01:00
I spy two actuators on the compressor. One for wastegate, one for guide vanes. There's two metallic ancillary tubes connecting to the intake trumpet, one for wastegate, the other for...?
Variable intake runner actuator?
How much longitudinal/axial displacement might be used in such an application? There doesn't appear to be a straight section to permit much travel. There would also need to be a volumetric change, a step, between the intake snorkel and the ID of the compressor inlet to make a variable length runner effective. I'm not sure if this is the case, though. The snorkel diameter seems to match the compressor inlet diameter.
Last edited by roon on 15 Dec 2017, 23:47, edited 6 times in total.

MrPotatoHead

godlameroso wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 21:51
Varying cold side helps with different combustion strategies?
By changing the AR of the compressor side you can increase the efficiency and range of the compressor wheel - making the efficiency island bigger.

MrPotatoHead

The pictures sure are nice - and they should remind us that everything is relative in F1. Even a "bad" F1 engine is not only a work of art but also an amazing piece of kit.
Despite all the problems I hope everyone involved int he project are proud of the work they have achieved.

We all tend to focus on the negatives of this engine program too much - myself included.

PlatinumZealot

bill shoe wrote:
Honda has the smallest MUGK they say. It was bulkier than the Mercedes one last year, but now, it's so small you thought it was a girl when it was born.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Dimi
Dimi

roon wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 22:40
Anyone know what the small Honda-logo'd box at the very top of the engine is? It's connected to the intake trumpet post-filter.
Looks very sophisticated for oil-air separator, but what else could it be?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

I think that the MGUH allows the turbo to operate in a very narrow window, therefore I am not sure that off design performance is as important as in a conventional turbo.
However I am inclined to believe that when compressor speed is 'artificially' kept high surge will inevitably occur at low flow rates (off or part throttle) and high pressure - Audi Quattro S1 was a notorious case with its umluft anti lag causing surge and grenading turbos.

Since in F1 they can't really afford compressor bypass valves due to efficiency losses, variable vane diffusers can be used to condition the flow at the impeller exit and shift the surge line further out. Efficiency wise variable inlet vanes are probably better at reducing compressor work - if I remember correctly there's more to be gained by altering the inlet velocity triangle.

PlatinumZealot

The black box at the top controls the crank case pressure and possible oil burning? You can see a black hose going from it down to the valve covers.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏