Porsche Mission E mule testing

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
aleks_ader

Porsche Mission E mule testing

I wanna to know what are those "wooden like" triangular blocks underside the car?
What is the purpouse?

Source of pictures:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/92 ... t-pictures
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

jjn9128

Re: Porsche Mission E mule testing

Looks to me like there is foam in the wheel arches, which would be to test tyre clearance. The blocks under the car look to be the same material so I'd suggest it's to test ground clearance!? Though I'm certain there are better ways to do that...
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Greg Locock

I agree, ground clearance. I don't know of a better way, I suppose I can think of much more expensive and less definitive ways.

jjn9128

More expensive is more better no? :D

I meant something which offers a more 'accurate' measure. I imagine they have some other ride height sensors to compliment the blocks.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Greg Locock

Stringpots or some other wheel displacement transducer. But that still doesn't tell you what the ground profile is under the car's entire length.

roon

Greg Locock wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 11:45
I agree, ground clearance. I don't know of a better way, I suppose I can think of much more expensive and less definitive ways.
This makes sense to me considering it's electric and may have a floor filled with batteries. They'll want to know where and how impacts might occur. Tesla dealt with a fluke fire in a customer's car a few years back; they'd run over a large metal object which wedged under the floor, spearing it and causing fire to the battery pack. The solution was to reinforce some part of the front floor, I believe (which was already armored to prevent such occurrences).

dren

Greg Locock wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 11:45
Yes, simple yet effective.
Honda!

Tim.Wright

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 11:55
More expensive is more better no? :D

I meant something which offers a more 'accurate' measure. I imagine they have some other ride height sensors to compliment the blocks.
My guess is that they laser scan the bottom surface after the test to find the ground clearance envelope.
Not the engineer at Force India

jjn9128

Laser scan or a touch probe. Doesn't look to me like they're supposed to ground out - so maybe a before and after is enough to confirm a minimum GC is conserved?!
#aerogandalf

bdr529

I see they brought 3 cars to test, along with a Tesla S, for comparison I assume
over looking all the extra black tape covering up stuff, I think they look pretty good

Edax

bdr529 wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 00:28
I see they brought 3 cars to test, along with a Tesla S, for comparison I assume
over looking all the extra black tape covering up stuff, I think they look pretty good

http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/aut ... k=2thTnYJ-
I am not to pleased about the hood which is getting flatter. I can see it is a further evolution from the Cayenne and Panamera styling, but It looks a bit bland to me. It does not really scream porsche, it is more like a cheap ferrari ripoff.

The concepts looked a lot more promising with an agressive raised hood over the weelarches, and a much more styled nose. These might not be the final headlights but I doubt they will change much on the contours.

I personally would like to try a full on electric retro 911. The retro look is combining quite well with electric and seems to fall in good taste with the yuppy crowd. But that is perhaps why I am not in marketing. :D

jjn9128

Edax wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 01:42
I personally would like to try a full on electric retro 911. The retro look is combining quite well with electric and seems to fall in good taste with the yuppy crowd. But that is perhaps why I am not in marketing.
There's a company in Wales who would make one for you :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs

JLR have done a prototype retrofit of an e-type with an electric powertrain too!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610Amyhpzzk
#aerogandalf

Edax

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 02:10
Edax wrote:
I personally would like to try a full on electric retro 911. The retro look is combining quite well with electric and seems to fall in good taste with the yuppy crowd. But that is perhaps why I am not in marketing.
There's a company in Wales who would make one for you :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs

JLR have done a prototype retrofit of an e-type with an electric powertrain too!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610Amyhpzzk
Thanks, for me I would prefer the gasoline originals anyways.

I was more thinking along the lines of these EV concepts.

bdr529

Edax wrote:

I am not to pleased about the hood which is getting flatter. I can see it is a further evolution from the Cayenne and Panamera styling, but It looks a bit bland to me. It does not really scream porsche, it is more like a cheap ferrari ripoff.

The concepts looked a lot more promising with an agressive raised hood over the weelarches, and a much more styled nose. These might not be the final headlights but I doubt they will change much on the contours.

I personally would like to try a full on electric retro 911. The retro look is combining quite well with electric and seems to fall in good taste with the yuppy crowd. But that is perhaps why I am not in marketing. :D
Concepts always look more promising, and then reality sets in :( , eg. the suicide rear door's.
As for the head lights, the black tape/panel is covering up quite a bit, I think that the original look of the lights is still the same or close to it on this car, open photo up in another window and you can see there's a lot more going on there.

F1NAC

God I hope they wont stick with those fake exhausts :wtf: