2018 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 HAAS F1 Team - Ferrari

dren wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:45
Yes, from that point of view, it makes more sense. I see Alfa as having old racing heritage in F1, where Dodge/Chrysler is more tied to NASCAR or sports car racing in the USA with the Viper. The Fiat group moved the Viper into its own brand before it finally got the axe.
True.
However that proves that FCA are willing to do anything they want and don't care how harsh it is.

It's an interesting argument though.

Big Tea

Do the company not also own MoPar, the spares and 'bolt on' company?
Could there be a niche for this to represent a USA based company?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

marmer

What about ford from 2021 using help from cosworth to power Haas

bblundell72

marmer wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 15:47
What about ford from 2021 using help from cosworth to power Haas
Until any solid specs come for what the new PU formula will be I don't believe you will see any interest from Ford. Even once the PU formula is finalized I would be shocked to see Ford take another bite of the F1 apple.

Look at their current motor sports efforts. NASCAR, drag racing, some rally, and GT. Not even any official support for Australia Supercars Championship.

SteveRacer

I get that Haas in an American team but I dont see the logic in a tie up with an American brand like Chrysler. F1 has a global following and that is who the sponsors should be catered to. The "home" of the team won't help Chrysler sell any more cars in America.

Manoah2u

SteveRacer wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 19:32
I get that Haas in an American team but I dont see the logic in a tie up with an American brand like Chrysler. F1 has a global following and that is who the sponsors should be catered to. The "home" of the team won't help Chrysler sell any more cars in America.
than you seem to miss the point that Chrysler is part of FIAT, and as such, it could make sense for Marchionne to see the potential of branding the Ferrari engine as Chrysler as it's essentially under the 'same' umbrella.

Alfa Romeo is now represented, Ferrari itself has it's representation, and there has been discussion about potentially adding Maserati to that group. I understand that Maserati is still a rather 'untouched' 'gold' mine to start digging in, and it is true that Maserati is popular in the states, but at the same time, Chrysler and FIAT share a lot of car platforms nowadays, and exposure of Chrysler in F1 would greatly improve the connection of American brands with F1, which is still rather abscent bar offcourse HAAS and some mostly international brands, and some american.

rebranding the Ferrari engine in the HAAS to Chrysler would, again, change that even more - after all, even though Haas rightly so uses the team as a business platform, and actually has gained success with the team from the get-go, the 'normal' or 'regular' viewer doesn't have HAAS CNC machines in their garage, or has any potential use for such.
That is different with chrysler.
it would 'connect' chrysler-owners immediatly with Formula 1, and for those who are not driving a chrysler, they atleast see something touchible in the form of a chrysler in F1. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would make americans buy chryslers, but it would surely have a positive influence in F1 fanbase in the states, especially with the ever-growing market of F1 in the USA thanks to the US owners through Liberty Media.

There's a lot, a real lot of potential there, if adressed correctly offcourse.
Let the drivers and important team figures drive Chryslers. Add Chrysler in big words to the trucks.
Have HAAS-themed promotianl material at Chrysler dealerships. Let a HAAS CNC machine cnc the chrysler logo.
Let's see if the Chrysler 'factories' have or could use HAAS equipment. A big expansion of the partnership.
Add some HAAS Liveries to some sporty chryslers and promote it in events in the USA, ESPECIALLY when the USA GP is nearby and on the event calender, let Magnussen and Grosjean do PR work.

Offcourse the only cork in the bottle might be the fact that HAAS uses a ford partnership in the states with the NASCAR side through Stewart-HAAS racing. I don't think however there's much pain as long as they simply keep NASCAR and F1 fully seperated in their events/PR works. Also, there's no Chrysler in NASCAR, only Ford, Chevrolet and Toyota so i wouldn't see the conflict there.

So again, businesswise, the HAAS-Chrysler 'partnership' would make sense.
HAAS could never do that same level of PR and partnership with Maserati. It would only be somewhat in a name label.
I fully doubt Maserati is waiting for HAAS CNC material or that there is a potential profitable CNC partnership - ALLTHOUGH it must be said HAAS generally has aimed for a european market, and Maserati after all IS european.

So really, what do i know.

Still - Chrysler HAAS F1 Team does make sense.as long as both parties are open for it.
I'm sure Liberty Media would praise it. If Bernie still would be rolling the dice, i'm sure he'd actually make it happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SteveRacer

You make several good points. My argument isn't that Haas is not a good candidate for this sponsorship. It is that just because they are an American F1 team it doesn't mean they are the only team that could carry a sponsor like this.

nokivasara

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 23:12
SteveRacer wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 19:32
than you seem to miss the point that Chrysler is part of FIAT, and as such, it could make sense for Marchionne to see the potential of branding the Ferrari engine as Chrysler as it's essentially under the 'same' umbrella.

Alfa Romeo is now represented, Ferrari itself has it's representation, and there has been discussion about potentially adding Maserati to that group. I understand that Maserati is still a rather 'untouched' 'gold' mine to start digging in, and it is true that Maserati is popular in the states, but at the same time, Chrysler and FIAT share a lot of car platforms nowadays, and exposure of Chrysler in F1 would greatly improve the connection of American brands with F1, which is still rather abscent bar offcourse HAAS and some mostly international brands, and some american.

rebranding the Ferrari engine in the HAAS to Chrysler would, again, change that even more - after all, even though Haas rightly so uses the team as a business platform, and actually has gained success with the team from the get-go, the 'normal' or 'regular' viewer doesn't have HAAS CNC machines in their garage, or has any potential use for such.
That is different with chrysler.
it would 'connect' chrysler-owners immediatly with Formula 1, and for those who are not driving a chrysler, they atleast see something touchible in the form of a chrysler in F1. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would make americans buy chryslers, but it would surely have a positive influence in F1 fanbase in the states, especially with the ever-growing market of F1 in the USA thanks to the US owners through Liberty Media.

There's a lot, a real lot of potential there, if adressed correctly offcourse.
Let the drivers and important team figures drive Chryslers. Add Chrysler in big words to the trucks.
Have HAAS-themed promotianl material at Chrysler dealerships. Let a HAAS CNC machine cnc the chrysler logo.
Let's see if the Chrysler 'factories' have or could use HAAS equipment. A big expansion of the partnership.
Add some HAAS Liveries to some sporty chryslers and promote it in events in the USA, ESPECIALLY when the USA GP is nearby and on the event calender, let Magnussen and Grosjean do PR work.

Offcourse the only cork in the bottle might be the fact that HAAS uses a ford partnership in the states with the NASCAR side through Stewart-HAAS racing. I don't think however there's much pain as long as they simply keep NASCAR and F1 fully seperated in their events/PR works. Also, there's no Chrysler in NASCAR, only Ford, Chevrolet and Toyota so i wouldn't see the conflict there.

So again, businesswise, the HAAS-Chrysler 'partnership' would make sense.
HAAS could never do that same level of PR and partnership with Maserati. It would only be somewhat in a name label.
I fully doubt Maserati is waiting for HAAS CNC material or that there is a potential profitable CNC partnership - ALLTHOUGH it must be said HAAS generally has aimed for a european market, and Maserati after all IS european.

So really, what do i know.

Still - Chrysler HAAS F1 Team does make sense.as long as both parties are open for it.
I'm sure Liberty Media would praise it. If Bernie still would be rolling the dice, i'm sure he'd actually make it happen.
Could you change the title to Haas F1, not HAAS F1?

Looksie:
https://www.haasf1team.com/

Manoah2u

i'll ask a mod, good point, i never even noticed it. nice to see someone having attention for details for the smaller teams.

i'm glad Haas is around btw, i was probably the most critical on the board before it's actual race day appearance, but they have proven worthy and done very impressive work.
I hope they can become like Force India and fight high despite being 'underdogs'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

Chrysler, nahh this is a dodge, maybe even take up the SRT badge like the Viper (rip).
Saishū kōnā

roon

Gonna need a Landau roof.

f1316

Re: 2018 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

‘[Marchionne] also suggested that he was no longer thinking of using the Maserati brand in Formula E, but rather that, “it would make more sense to try it in F1 with the Haas team and to have reasonable costs.”’

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/01/ ... ar-launch/

marmer

f1316 wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 19:52
‘[Marchionne] also suggested that he was no longer thinking of using the Maserati brand in Formula E, but rather that, “it would make more sense to try it in F1 with the Haas team and to have reasonable costs.”’

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/01/ ... ar-launch/
well formula e is ultimately pointless once the electric technology gets good enough to not need a i.c.e it will just be electric formula 1

saturn13

I will be surprised if Haas ends up any better than 10th in constructors points. Sauber has the same engine. Might beat them. No aero. Maclaren will not be dropping out and Renault will be better. They say they have new people. Maybe they will be better in the wind tunnel. Haas is a US owned team only. No Americans I know, except Santucci. They need to do more in NC. Like wind tunnel work. Not an American team, but it is all we in the US have. Except Zac Brown at Mclaren. FIA has more confidence in US drivers than Steiner. It is up to them and the team of course, but FIA says the Indy-car Champ does not have to do anything for a super license.

dren

Haas needs to figure out their set-up issues. They show up competitive at some tracks and others they are off the pace. It doesn't seem to correlate with track style, either.
Honda!