Adrian Newey book

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Greg Locock

Re: Adrian Newey book

I think you underestimate the inertia of a large and self satisfied engineering organisation. I suspect many senior engineers would rather be the big fish in a small pond than trying to motivate a big bunch of 'not invented here' careerists. I am continually amused by the attention paid to the chief execs in car companies. In reality they set approximate directions, criticise the cars they take for drives or see in the styling studio, and do zero engineering.

Chuckjr

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 16:22
Chuckjr wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 05:51
My thoughts exactly. I can't believe a person can get to a point in life to be able to turn that down. I see Ferrari as a much longer lived life legacy than what Red Bull could offer--all due respect to Red Bull.
A friend of mine turned down an offer to work at Ferrari when Brawn was there. It happens.

As for the "long lived life legacy" - what is that? Do you mean Ferrari will be around longer than RedBull? The titles that Newey has won over the years are his legacy. No one can take those away. Heck, taking the fight to Ferrari and beating them soundly 4 years in a row with a drinks company is quite some legacy. Add his titles with McLaren and Williams and he is F1's most successful designer ever. What bigger legacy is there?

The fact that he can turn down a huge offer from Ferrari shows his standing in the sport, and his own position in life.
Exactly. Exactly my thought. Ferraris will be auctioned off for the rest of time. His designs would have gone into timeless archives at Maranello with collectors still in 500 years seeking the "Newey models". Not to be.

Someday there will be no Red Bull. Someday there will still be Ferrari.

To say no to your own cars still being driven in 200...even 500 years?!? Come on. RedBull can or could NEVER offer such a legacy. All due respect but sorry this is another level in career legacy.

I think if there was any mistake in Newey's career, it was turning that offer down. Many designers have won multiple championships. Not many will have their personal designs locked into sportscar history (Ferrari history mind you) hundreds of years down the road.

Just my 2 cents.
Watching F1 since 1986.

notsofast

Greg Locock wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 00:29
I think you underestimate the inertia of a large and self satisfied engineering organisation.
In other words:
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in a war
For a lead role in a cage

noname

Zynerji wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 00:09
I read it that he would have full control over the entire Ferrari operation, road and race, and NOT have bureaucracy to deal with, as he would build the system.

I, personally, would have taken it. Not because it was Ferrari, but to take the opportunity to be successful in such a huge responsibility role.
He would not. It is Ferrari, there is sh***t load of politics going on inside. Marchionne is putting his fingers everywhere and is quite proud of that. Big Luca was not much better.

Newey would have to spend most of his time and energy fighting, instead of doing what he loves the most - being engineer.

digitalrurouni

noname wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 14:38
Zynerji wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 00:09
I read it that he would have full control over the entire Ferrari operation, road and race, and NOT have bureaucracy to deal with, as he would build the system.

I, personally, would have taken it. Not because it was Ferrari, but to take the opportunity to be successful in such a huge responsibility role.
He would not. It is Ferrari, there is sh***t load of politics going on inside. Marchionne is putting his fingers everywhere and is quite proud of that. Big Luca was not much better.

Newey would have to spend most of his time and energy fighting, instead of doing what he loves the most - being engineer.
This. Agreed.

strad

Boy there are a couple I'd like to be able to up-vote and a half dozen I'd down vote as soon as I stopped laughing. ;-)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hugobos

I really enjoyed this book, it has a lot of technical insight. also a small peek into the strange politics of F1 through the years. Fortunatly it is not a gossip book, i liked that. It helped me understand more - as the title says - how to build a car.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

Fulcrum

I think Newey wasn't so naive to believe his reign at Ferrari - however extensive it may have been - would be free from political intrusion.

The fact he refused double-pay is more interesting; a minor indictment of Ferrari's operating structure, and an indication of his satisfaction working for Red Bull Technologies.

I personally think the biggest deal-breaker for Newey would have been moving away from the UK. It's a recurring theme for him whenever potential moves are on the table.

hugobos

In the book there is a page long answer from Newey to this question.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

majki2111

Is there free pdf online to download this book??

adrianjordan

majki2111 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 13:02
Is there free pdf online to download this book??
Very much doubt it. Certainly not a legal one.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

garygph

"Is there free pdf online to download this book??"

I certainly hope not, and as a F1 fan that admires what the man has done, legally not in the criminal world, you would respect that and pay for the privilege of reading his book.

Sieper

In Any case, this would not seem to be the place to ask. The book is actually very affordable (but that concept may vary) you can also sell it on after reading.

strad

I have the audible version I suggest you contact Audible them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

adrianjordan

strad wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 21:30
I have the audible version I suggest you contact Audible them.
Please tell me Adrian reads it himself...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️