Toyota GR Super Sport Concept

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roon

Toyota GR Super Sport Concept

Toyota has unveiled its direction for next-generation sports cars with the global debut of the Toyota GR Super Sport Concept and test car at the 2018 Tokyo Auto Salon.

Developed by Toyota GAZOO Racing, the Toyota GR Super Sport Concept incorporates hybrid technology developed for Toyota's TS050 Hybrid race car that competes in the World Endurance Championship (WEC).

The newly revealed concept is composed of mostly the same main parts as the TS050 Hybrid, reflecting Toyota GAZOO Racing's aim to ensure that technologies and know-how acquired in motorsport are fed back into new production vehicles.

Beneath the beautifully flowing and original form are a 735kW (986hp) 2.4-litre twin-turbo V6 engine and a Toyota Hybrid System-Racing (THS-R) powertrain, which have been honed through competition racing.

With its high-efficiency electric-vehicle system and lean-burn engine, this next-generation super sports car is set to deliver both ultimate power and environmental performance.

ncassi22

Re: Toyota GR Super Sport Concept

roon

This may show up the other road cars trying to be as quick as LMP cars (Valkyrie, AMG Project One), by already being an actual LMP car. Until Porsche show up with a 919 GT.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon

This thing should be faster than a TS050 since it doesn't have to conform to LMP1 rules. Right? Optimised floor, no fuel flow limit.

Maritimer

It'll be 250+ hp down on the 050, class is regulated to 750hp while the current car is only power limited to 1000hp at LM.

roon

That's true. I was meaning to comment on the road/track car concept, which presumably the WEC Hypercar will derive from. They don't have to homologate for that class, though. I got the impression that the concept car was for something road legal.

Maritimer

Ahh okay my mistake. I dont know that the car was ever meant to actually be road legal, more concept of what they could do with the tech.

Andres125sx

...and environmental performance
I´d pay anyone asking them what the hell that means #-o