[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa
69
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:01 am

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by rjsa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 pm

LVDH wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am
Page is fixed
Downloaded V11, same result. I uploaded the case on the Le Mans upload link.

I didn't change anything really from the last body that was running (that's the file that changed) nor in the workflow. My inspecting of the STL shows it fine.

Thanks for looking.

LVDH
26
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by LVDH » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm

rjsa wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 pm
LVDH wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am
Page is fixed
Downloaded V11, same result. I uploaded the case on the Le Mans upload link.

I didn't change anything really from the last body that was running (that's the file that changed) nor in the workflow. My inspecting of the STL shows it fine.

Thanks for looking.
Funny enough just yesterday I had a case with exactly your issue. The stl file names have to start with a letter. One of yours is called "2018"... Change that and you are running again.
I guess at least implementing a warning into the software will be no problem.

rjsa
69
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:01 am

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by rjsa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

LVDH wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm
rjsa wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 pm
LVDH wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am
Page is fixed
Downloaded V11, same result. I uploaded the case on the Le Mans upload link.

I didn't change anything really from the last body that was running (that's the file that changed) nor in the workflow. My inspecting of the STL shows it fine.

Thanks for looking.
Funny enough just yesterday I had a case with exactly your issue. The stl file names have to start with a letter. One of yours is called "2018"... Change that and you are running again.
I guess at least implementing a warning into the software will be no problem.
Oh, that did the trick.

Good, I was like WTF did I break, did I forget how to do it over the holidays?

machin
171
User avatar
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by machin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 pm

variante wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 pm
During the first year of this competition I was attending the 4th year of high school (out of 5 in Italy).
Now I am also involved in the Formula Student (SAE) competition, in the team from Milan, of which I was technical director last year. I must say that I brought aero knowledge from MVRC to Formula Student, not the other way around.
This is a great story, and just shows what people can get out of this championship... it will be great to follow your career progress after University... =D>

...Maybe one day you'll be writing a book and you will be able to say that this is where it all started!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice
27
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm

machin wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 pm
variante wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 pm
During the first year of this competition I was attending the 4th year of high school (out of 5 in Italy).
Now I am also involved in the Formula Student (SAE) competition, in the team from Milan, of which I was technical director last year. I must say that I brought aero knowledge from MVRC to Formula Student, not the other way around.
This is a great story, and just shows what people can get out of this championship... it will be great to follow your career progress after University... =D>

...Maybe one day you'll be writing a book and you will be able to say that this is where it all started!
Yes, I can't wait to see Variante in a F1 team. I am too old for such a target but I will be proud to have challenged him.

I also had at least a couple of customer that asked me for a consultancy after knowing about CAEdevice results from Linkedin or Google search. On my website there is trace of one of this two jobs ( http://www.caedevice.net/progettazione/ ... mping-cfd/ ). Maybe this will be a good reason for engineering services providers to join the challenge.

machin
171
User avatar
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by machin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Ah nice! Imagine if we could have a nice video of the races... You guys could sell advertising space on your cars!!!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Zynerji
42
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by Zynerji » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 pm

rFactor 2 import with all ai drivers!

CAEdevice
27
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 pm

machin wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm
Ah nice! Imagine if we could have a nice video of the races... You guys could sell advertising space on your cars!!!
Soon you will see something on the track. Starting from my 2017 car and data (much more cfd data than used in MVRC), GaryPaterson and another important name of driving simulation are creating a MVRC car model for AssettoCorsa. Importing all the cars seems to be huge effort: Gary has been working on it since July.

garyjpaterson
14
User avatar
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:59 am

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by garyjpaterson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:33 am

CAEdevice wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 pm
machin wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm
Ah nice! Imagine if we could have a nice video of the races... You guys could sell advertising space on your cars!!!
Soon you will see something on the track. Starting from my 2017 car and data (much more cfd data than used in MVRC), GaryPaterson and another important name of driving simulation are creating a MVRC car model for AssettoCorsa. Importing all the cars seems to be huge effort: Gary has been working on it since July.
It does take a lot of time and effort, but I have had plenty of other projects between then and now too :D

But yes, I'm now getting some extra help on the physics side from an expert really should ensure this is a top quality mod for AC, one of a kind for sure! Lets hope the 2018 rules allow for even more creative ideas, would love to add more cars to the roster :)

etsmc
5
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by etsmc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 am

So started developing a new car from last years rulebook, I am looking to design this car and then refine it for the new season if it happens. I want to have a car that i can understand so rather than trying anything radical like previous cars it will be keeping it simple.

In my initial testing, I am finding the front wing elements are currently have a cl/cd of 5.3 now I remember a post a while back saying the good team should be producing a cl/cl of 7.5 on the rear wing.
Anyone care to share their front wing cl/cd??

I have always found this style of the car hard to balance front to back and looking at the numbers if I have a rear wing that is even close to the top teams my car is going to be unbalanced again obviously this is not taking the floor/diffuser into account yet..

variante
88
User avatar
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 am
Location: Monza

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by variante » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 pm

etsmc wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 am
So started developing a new car from last years rulebook, I am looking to design this car and then refine it for the new season if it happens. I want to have a car that i can understand so rather than trying anything radical like previous cars it will be keeping it simple.

In my initial testing, I am finding the front wing elements are currently have a cl/cd of 5.3 now I remember a post a while back saying the good team should be producing a cl/cl of 7.5 on the rear wing.
Anyone care to share their front wing cl/cd??

I have always found this style of the car hard to balance front to back and looking at the numbers if I have a rear wing that is even close to the top teams my car is going to be unbalanced again obviously this is not taking the floor/diffuser into account yet..
The number on the "Front Wing" is not so relevant because what I identify as front wing might be radically different from what your front wing is. Anyway, my number for its efficiency is 7.42.
The Rear Wing is much more identifiable as such; my number for it is a rather unsatisfactory 3.96. Yes, it does help the diffuser, but I think it is still one of the two weak points of my car.


machin wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 pm
This is a great story, and just shows what people can get out of this championship... it will be great to follow your career progress after University... =D>

...Maybe one day you'll be writing a book and you will be able to say that this is where it all started!
Thanks for the faith in me, but I fear you'll need to live a couple million years just to witness me taking the degree #-o

etsmc
5
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by etsmc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 am

variante wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 pm
The number on the "Front Wing" is not so relevant because what I identify as front wing might be radically different from what your front wing is. Anyway, my number for its efficiency is 7.42.
I get what you are saying.. what I have considered the "Front Wing" is the 2 elements between the front wheels. I guess I should have included a highlighted image.

7.42 at the front of the car is impressive.

CAEdevice
27
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:10 am

I have two proposals for the next challenge.

1) The possibility to use a "volume mesh control" for a refined mesh inside rear diffuser instead of putting the strakes surfaces into the "HR folder" (there many interesing things - vortices - quite far form the strakes surfaces)
2) A new "10mm thickness" rule: winglets can be as thin as you want, but with a minimum 2mm thichness over the whole section (in the picture a 2mm radius has been added to the original trail edge)

Image

CAEdevice
27
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi, just a a brief awakening from hibernation to ask if people from South America and Australia have received the book.

etsmc
5
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by etsmc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 am

Yes thankyou have received it.
Was a great read and very interesting. i am not a very literate person or a strong reader but an interesting book made it easier.
=D>