R.I. P. Dan Gurney

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

R.I. P. Dan Gurney

With one last smile on his handsome face, Dan drove off into the unknown just before noon today, January 14, 2018," Gurney's wife Evi and family said in a statement. "In deepest sorrow, with gratitude in our hearts for the love and joy you have given us during your time on this earth, we say 'Godspeed.'".
:cry:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bill shoe

Re: R.I. P. Dan Gurney

Rolling out of the garage for practice at his home race at Watkins Glen. Won Spa a few months earlier.
Last edited by bill shoe on 15 Jan 2018, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Facts Only

In my view the greatest ever. A huge inspiration for me. He did so much, over so a varied career and had success everywhere.

The word legend is bandied about too much but Dan Gurney definitely was. When most drivers are long forgotten we will still be fitting Gurney flaps and spraying champagne.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

strad

I can't begin to tell how hard this hit's me. He was a truly nice man.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

May he rest in peace.
Was the Gurney flap named after him though?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

flynfrog

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 03:02
May he rest in peace.
Was the Gurney flap named after him though?
Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_flap

Tommy Cookers

thanks for the footage

great days ! - 50 ish years ago something like a merging of European and American racing interests
D S G at the heart of that eg getting Lotus to Indy etc

btw the 'Gurney flap' goes back to the early days of flying - a length of cord doped onto the TE to correct lateral trim

D S G won in the F1 Eagle on AgriCastrol oil (oil for farm vehicles)

maybe he missed out, reaching his driving peak during the 1.5 litre F1 era - this surely better suited to smaller lighter drivers
the reason he was outstanding on the faster circuits ?

TAG

Dan handed Porsche their first and only F1 win.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत