Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Greg_OR
Greg_OR

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

netoperek wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 17:45
At this point either can be right and hopefully we can verify somehow, someday.
Very well written mate, and others too, many well-weighted opinions.
I assume that RK can make better progress in the current cars/tyres than others (Stroll, Siriotkin) and that Williams rates him higher as a driver but is struggling with budget. So I hope that Williams is now working hard to find new sponsors and other financial sources, and if they are successful then they can announce Robert, if not then they will need 2nd pay driver to accomplish 2018 targets. And I won't be surprised if the whole story will take more time and the final decisions will be done after pre-season tests where both (RK and SS) could take part.

netoperek
netoperek

santos wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 19:07
Williams is not being silly. They need Money. And if it wasn't the Money, maybe they would be in a worst position then Sauber was. I would really love to see Kubica again in F1, but most of the people thinks about what he was before the crash. I still don't know if he is able to run a full season now. And if he is ok, why didn't Renault choose him to replace Palmer?
Because they could switch their engine supply to McLaren instead of Honda, which is good for business and publicity plus got Sainz for free. They have a very decent lineup with Hulkenberg as #1, which I personally rate just tad below the very best and capable Sainz as a solid #2. It has been official news, that Kubica has been thoroughly tested in simulator, where he was reportedly "no slower than Nico", which even prompted Nico's response - first that simulator is not exactly real life and then after some more real mileage that he understands that Renault must get the best drivers there are and later that he is looking forward to some rivalry, either with Alonso or Kubica as teammate. That was obviously before Honda deal materialised and before Alonso decided he won't drive a crap of a car :lol:

Greg, I hope that's exactly the reason for delayed decision

Mr Brooksy

Personally I'd prefer Williams to test both drivers head to head and then choose which is best. Let's face it, the car should be pretty reliable straight out of the box, so the laps should be available to both of them.

Give the better driver the ride. Don't choose the driver before preseason starts and get the data needed in real life over the simulator!
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

zgred

Greg_OR
Greg_OR

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

#@$%&*^ !!! - and another line of censored words.

**** williams, they won't get any sympathy from me in any way, whatsoever.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Greg_OR
Greg_OR

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 20:53
#@$%&*^ !!! - and another line of censored words.

**** williams, they won't get any sympathy from me in any way, whatsoever.
"Always look on the bright side of life" :)
I assume that they did what they had to, not wanted to. And Robert DID IT, he is back in business, with no stress he will get familiar with new cars and rubber. It is not a jump but a huge step in right direction.
A year ago nobody but only hardcore fans dreamt about this. He is not a youngster but in this case age doesn't matter, with his character, commitment and enthusiasm he can be a top driver for next 4 or 5 or 6 or ... years. And who knows, maybe he will have a chance to race this season.

ringo

netoperek wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 17:45

I understand Your point of view and it indeed seems logical from one perspective. I even told I feel sorry for SS as he must probably achieve more than drivers with less support to prove his worth. His critics may also be unjustly too hard on him.
The problem I see in this situation is that it is not obvious. No one really cares or wants to make it more clear as well. It's all speculative. In such conditions, it's virtually impossible to judge real performance or potential.
Kubica had one real shot on 2018 hypersofts, one lap to prove everything. In a new car, on new tires, with not so much of a preparation, with team deciding on how much of true pace they want to show (PU setting, fuel level, etc) He obviously had not made it a perfect lap (Mark Hughes pointed out his purple mini sectors would combine into a much better laptime). This single try is currently used as the only benchmark of Kubica's ability, as he had no chance to make a flier in Hungaroring at all. Rest of his latest test driving would have to be calculated with numerous situational factors in mind to be even somewhat representative. Something that cannot be done without a knowledge only Williams and Renault have, but are reluctant to share. As SS and RK were apparently doing different programs it's even hard to compare their drives on other compounds. SS have not driven a single lap on Ultrasofts (iirc), yet now its a common theme that he had managed new tires better and is all round faster. Without even driving them! See how fishy it seems from different perspective?

Just after the test, whole Williams team gave Kubica a standing ovation. After Hungaroring everyone was impressed. During "rehabilitation process" driving he has shown speed in everything he drove. What's more important, Hungary test (I haven't found comprehensive info on Abu dhabi test, so can't really tell it's story progress-wise) has shown progress with each successive stint. Test which took place because Kubica impressed in Valencia, where he has been directly compared to SS. If he has been slower then, would Renault give such precious testing time to a "expired" driver? After Abu Dhabi, Lowe said Kubica was at work not on show and his comments like these "[His feedback is] very good. He is a driver of tremendous experience and very knowledgable around his work. His job is a professional racing driver so he has that confidence and you can feel it in the garage – so everybody’s happy with Robert.” and many other similar, may suggest he did a pretty decent at that.

I don't mind Williams picking a better driver. I'm actually all for it. Problem is, there is no clear indication which one is it. Williams is in a position to shape opinion on the subject as they please, regardless of what is true. And when money and politics come into play, combined with information embargo, wildest theories can thrive. After all F1 is a business not a sentimental play. Kubica is still probably a risk and Sirotkin is probably an instant profit. I personally would still respect Williams if they admitted they foremost want or need cash (if that would be the case, of course), but I imagine it can't happen in today's PR obsessed world.

TL;DR
With nothing certain and everything open for debate, I still think Kubica is the better driver as I haven't seen enough evidence to prove me wrong. You are absolutely free to have a different opinion and it's as justified as mine.
At this point either can be right and hopefully we can verify somehow, someday.
Maybe the just felt sorry for him and was doing lip service to the media to make things look better than they really are. No one would say something negative about Kubica Bravery to try. Even if he drove like crap, neither Renault nor Williams would say "oh yea he did all he could to come to this point but it's not good enough". It's better to say ambigous positives that don't really conclude any like those same words you mentioned from Williams and Renault. Carlos Sainz selection and even taking pain in losing a customer in Torro Rosso shows you how much they didn't think Kubica was ready.
For Sure!!

ringo

What if Sirotkin is good?
I guess all the bashers will apologize to Williams?

I think these modern cars may be so much easier to drive that having more money to make a very good car with an average driver gives better returns than having an underfunded, underdeveloped car with a good driver. It's probably just down to the realities of business case of F1 these days.

Best of luck to Sergei. :lol: The Russian Money Missile replaces the Torpedo.

edit: in some ways i think it's a blessing in disguise that Kubica is the test driver. I hope he uses the year to get back on top form, even if it means it puts him in another team as a full time driver.
For Sure!!

marmer
marmer

If he impresses during some fp1 he could replace Kimi at Ferrari if they can't get Danny ric

bauc

marmer wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 08:59
If he impresses during some fp1 he could replace Kimi at Ferrari if they can't get Danny ric
Yes, If Kubica manages to impress he may get a seat, maybe not at Ferrari but in some other team yes.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

santos
santos

marmer wrote:
I don't remember the last time Ferrari changed a driver in mid season. And there's even more... Ferrari always choose experienced drivers. Drivers that already delivered... i don't think Kubica would be an option.

marmer
marmer

santos wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 14:18
marmer wrote:
I don't remember the last time Ferrari changed a driver in mid season. And there's even more... Ferrari always choose experienced drivers. Drivers that already delivered... i don't think Kubica would be an option.
was thinking at the end of the current season so not mid season swap. if he proves he is still near the level he was at when last in f1 that would be similar to kimi on a good day at the moment. perfect for vet

netoperek
netoperek

marmer wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 15:10
santos wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 14:18
marmer wrote:
was thinking at the end of the current season so not mid season swap. if he proves he is still near the level he was at when last in f1 that would be similar to kimi on a good day at the moment. perfect for vet
Kubica had an agreement with Ferrari prior to the crash, so i guess if he can show that he still have it in him, I wouldn't write that option off completely.

PlatinumZealot

Whay are some people angry though? This is great news for Robert! Look how far he's come from!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏