Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Adrian Newey says something along the lines of "if it's beautiful it will be fast" so if Newey thinks good looking cars are fast, why cant the rules be written to ensure good looking cars
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

krisfx
krisfx

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 11:55
Adrian Newey says something along the lines of "if it's beautiful it will be fast" so if Newey thinks good looking cars are fast, why cant the rules be written to ensure good looking cars
Hmm, in his book it was loosely along those lines, but does he not say that beautiful cars can be slow? I don't know if you know many engineers, but the thought process of "it looks aesthetically pleasing" is usually right in the back of the mind, especially in racing. Function > form. The recent trend towards wanting "style" is bizarre at best.

AJI
AJI

krisfx wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:08
... The recent trend towards wanting "style" is bizarre at best.
Do you mean 'recent trend' as in, 'since the beginning of F1'? or, 'since the invention of the automobile'? or, 'since the beginning of human consciousness'?

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 11:55
I think you have that the wrong way around, wasn't it "if it's fast it will be beautiful"? If anything 2017 has shown trying to write the rules to force a particular aesthetic will never work. In any case what constitutes a beautiful car for one is an ugly car for another. Cars I like include the MP4-2, BT52, FW14B, 414t2, 102, CG901... I'm not sure any of them qualify as beautiful though...

A possible way to control aesthetics I can think of would be if there was a standard FIA tub that all teams had to run - they have freedom over the front wing, nose and anything that bolts onto the monocoque. We basically have that now, there's not much freedom in the monocoque design between the front bulkhead and seat. It could be spec'd for a 185cm, 80kg driver with space for ballast around the drivers COM. But I don't think it would be a popular move with fans or teams.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

krisfx
krisfx

AJI wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:29
krisfx wrote:
Do you mean 'recent trend' as in, 'since the beginning of F1'? or, 'since the invention of the automobile'? or, 'since the beginning of human consciousness'?

In racing, which I would have thought was obvious, considering this is a site based on racing. I'm not sure when race car designers started with a sheet of paper and an aim of making the car look stylish and as someone said above, this year proved that writing regulations for aesthetics just doesn't work.

I think since 2014, we've had constant whining about the design aesthetics of the cars (Shark fins, noses, T wings to name a few), while completely ignoring the fact that they are a technical masterpiece, designed to make the most of a set of regulations.

Tim.Wright

krisfx wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 15:41
AJI wrote:
krisfx wrote:

In racing, which I would have thought was obvious, considering this is a site based on racing. I'm not sure when race car designers started with a sheet of paper and an aim of making the car look stylish and as someone said above, this year proved that writing regulations for aesthetics just doesn't work.
Considering that open wheels + wings is a purely arbitrary and aesthetic component of the rules then it's been a good 67 years that aesthetics have been a primary driver of the ruleset.
Not the engineer at Force India

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Tim.Wright wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 17:45
krisfx wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 15:41
AJI wrote:

Considering that open wheels + wings is a purely arbitrary and aesthetic component of the rules then it's been a good 67 years that aesthetics have been a primary driver of the ruleset.
Open wheels and wings were both adopted for performance reasons, not aesthetic reasons. That they might be considered "essential" components today is a different issue.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sevach
Sevach

But videogames are 95% real life cars.

AJI
AJI

krisfx wrote:
...I think since 2014, we've had constant whining about the design aesthetics of the cars...
This argument has been going on 'since forever', was my point. It is in no way recent nor is it bizarre, and like it or not it will continue to go on forever...

ringo

Not sure why some believe this "functional design" thing. The regulation boxes are based on someone's (or a group's) idea of aesthetics. The regulators already had in mind how the cars will look when they made the rules.
So it's actually the other way around, the cars are made to be as functional as possible from some guy's idea of what is aesthetic.
So i don't mind what Brawn says. If the rule makers want the new cars to look like a Tie Fighter, then the engineers will simply have to make that design as functional as possible. So i'm all for cars that look like video games.
The engineers will simply make the aero work from what they are given.
For Sure!!

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

I'm sure that FOM want F1 to be successful. They won't want to come up with a set of regulations that aren't going to allow good racing.

If they're smart they'll:
1. Come up with a design which allows for racing
2. Apply different ways of adding speed and measure the effects of the racing capability
3. Find a way to make it visually appealing and measure the effects on the speed/racing

DISCLAIMER - I'm sure it's not that simple IRL but the basic concept should be like that.

If we want a visually stunning looking car then that needs to come down to more than just the aero/engineers in the teams too. Just look at the bland Liveries that have been churned out over recent years, Sauber, McLaren, Marussia, HAAS, the list goes on and on really. I'll look at a Sean Bull design and go "WOW, that Alfa Romeo Sauber looks beautiful, can't wait to see that on track"

McMrocks
McMrocks

Sevach wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 21:03
True, I would appreciate if the cars could look like the cars in that F1 2005 Racing game.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

McMrocks wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 14:25
Sevach wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 21:03
True, I would appreciate if the cars could look like the cars in that F1 2005 Racing game.
They do if you watch low quality live streams on youtube, and squint really hard, and pretend the racing is good. :lol:

strad

They are cartoons.
Very well done cartoons but hardly real cars.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

There is also a huge difference in what one person to the next sees as a 'sexy' design.
Usually, someone who races,or watches racing with the actuality of of it in mind imagines something completely different to some one who paints a stripe and puts a big bore exhaust with wide 20inch wheels.
There seems to be more of the latter using social media and having a big influence
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.