2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Redragon

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

The only thing to make them be optimistic is the improvement from last year car as it is the only reference at this stage and the data and timings from other last years teams cars. Until they don't start the winter test they won't know how much the others have improved and if they are in a great position or not. So it is useless to take Van words too seriously at the moment. He is not gonna come on record on pre session saying the car is not great but there is time for improvement for example. They will always play it upbeat.

diffuser

techman wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 10:23
l hope their mclaren simulator is telling them they made big gains. we just have to see if these gain translate to track performance, and if they cant match redbull, i guess we will all know the true picture of that simulator.
I think the simulator is more for the drivers to stay sharp than it is for anything else.

McHonda

It's to test things like set up as well. Ferrari in Singapore used Leclerc to test changes from Friday free practice in the sim back in Maranello and to try and fix some of the problems they were having set up wise and it worked, they poled it on Saturday and Seb even name-checked Leclerc's work from the night before iirc.

Joseki

Last year in this period of January I heard from a source that things weren't great in the McLaren camp. The engine datas from the dyno were terrible and the chassis was behind schedule, Fernando wasn't happy about what he tried on the simulator.
I remember posting what I heard here (I even got some "not nice" responses :lol: ) and at the end it was all true.
As things stand I've heard nothing on the 2018 car or engine, but if Stoffel is really pleased with what they tried on the simulator and Boullier is really not concerned about the engine than I'm pumped for this season.

mclaren111

I will join your optimism !!! :D :D

RedNEO

Things are finally looking good. What a difference an engine change makes. :)

OviJohn

Joseki wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 11:54
Last year in this period of January I heard from a source that things weren't great in the McLaren camp. The engine datas from the dyno were terrible and the chassis was behind schedule, Fernando wasn't happy about what he tried on the simulator.
I remember posting what I heard here (I even got some "not nice" responses :lol: ) and at the end it was all true.
As things stand I've heard nothing on the 2018 car or engine, but if Stoffel is really pleased with what they tried on the simulator and Boullier is really not concerned about the engine than I'm pumped for this season.
I also remember your post and was actually wondering if you´d be able to get some hints for this years car :wink:

#BelieveinMclaren

Thunder

General Speculation about Honda's Pre Season Progress belongs in the General Honda F1 Topic Guys. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26921&start=135
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Joseki

OviJohn wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 13:36
I also remember your post and was actually wondering if you´d be able to get some hints for this years car :wink:

#BelieveinMclaren
This time I don't really want to know if things are not looking good beforehand :lol:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... na-998134/

According to Chinchero McLaren will have two filming days on the 24th and 25th.

kenc

proteus wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 18:53
I hate this "teasers" and "coming soon" announcements... It only creates massive expectations and even bigger dissapoitments afterwards. The livery of last season was great looking to me, but performance was nowhere. I really do hope the new trio of sponsors wont be as small as the CNN logo was on the car, and i really hope they will deliver something stunning, amazing and unseen before as they are promising. And especially i hope there will be performance boost as well.
Coming soon... a Championship winning car....

Thunder

So on the Autosport Forum there is that rumour that Amazon could be one of the New Team Sponsors. Zak said February for Announcements, the McLaren Documentary on Amazon Prime starts Feb. 9th..... Pure Coincidence? :twisted:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Thunder wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 09:43
So on the Autosport Forum there is that rumour that Amazon could be one of the New Team Sponsors. Zak said February for Announcements, the McLaren Documentary on Amazon Prime starts Feb. 9th..... Pure Coincidence? :twisted:
It could be, Amazon is investing a lot in advertisement, they have The Grand Tour going as well.... it might be a good choice to be one of the new sponsors for Mclaren
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Webber2011

bauc wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 09:46
Thunder wrote:
It could be, Amazon is investing a lot in advertisement, they have The Grand Tour going as well.... it might be a good choice to be one of the new sponsors for Mclaren
Would make for a great amount of publicity at Melbourne Park for the first race too

Especially seeing as Amazon have only recently launched in Australia..

Very clever marketing by both 😉

RedNEO

Thunder wrote:
Amazon would be a major coup. Zac mentioned in an interview regarding their new sponsors that atleast one of them are world leaders in what they do so it would make sense if they were indeed one of them.
Last edited by RedNEO on 23 Jan 2018, 11:21, edited 2 times in total.

mclaren111

Pitpass:

The McLaren Technology Group has announced the creation of a Business Advisory Group

https://www.pitpass.com/60969/Martini-m ... sory-Group

First name on the list of 12, which includes Lord Sebastian Coe, is Jaime Bergel, Chairman at Bacardi-Martini SA.

Other member of the group are Michel Combes (President & CFO, Sprint), Lee Daley (Former CEO, Saatchi & Saatchi), Carl-Peter Forster (Chairman Chemring Plc, Chairman LEVC, Board Member IMI Plc, Volvo Cars Group and Geely Automobile Holdings Group), Jean-Marc Huet (Former Board Member, Formula 1), Blake Irving (Board Director & former CEO, GoDaddy), Rob Kauffman (Chairman, NASCAR Race Team Alliance), Rob Malcolm (Former President, Global Marketing, Sales and Innovation, Diageo), Richard Solomons (Former CEO, InterContinental Hotels Group plc), Greg Spierkel (Former CEO, Ingram Micro) and Keith Weed (Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, Unilever PLC).

If these people have to be paid, McLaren certainly have no shortage of money !!!