Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will have the better car in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda?

Poll ended at 20 Dec 2017, 18:59

1. McLaren-Renault
72%
2. STR-Honda
28%

Total votes: 105

etusch

Re: Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

They were one of midfield teams with renault PU. If everything other remains same and if we assume that Honda produced a PU has Renault level power output then they can be a midfield team again. maybe a bit upper in midfield by advantage of being only Honda user. If Honda can produce a monster I can't see any reason prevent them from being 4th fastest.

zeph
zeph

So now that we’ve done some testing, I’d be curious to find out if anyone’s opinion has shifted?
STR-Honda look sturdy, McL-Renault not so much.

dren

I'd expect Mclaren to be ahead of TR, but they might be closer than I originally thought.
Honda!

Moose
Moose

McLaren look sturdy enough to me - they've had a few minor glitches, not some catastrophic design error. My bet is McLaren are 4th or 5th atm, and STR is 8th or 9th, maybe even 10th.

ispano6

At this point in testing Toro Rosso seem to be slightly ahead in terms of package but McLaren driver pairing is probably stronger thanks to Alonso.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

ispano6 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:48
At this point in testing Toro Rosso seem to be slightly ahead in terms of package but McLaren driver pairing is probably stronger thanks to Alonso.
Ahead? Care to elaborate?

Dixo

I would really love to see STR ahead of McL [-o<

wesley123
wesley123

ivanlesk wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:38
ispano6 wrote:
STR haven't had any issues in the testing, whereas McLaren hasn't seen a single day of unobstructed testing. That's a fairly decent advantage already.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ispano6

ivanlesk wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:38
ispano6 wrote:
You know, obvious things like mileage, reliability, team spirit, team preparation, race simulation data gathering. Fred might have posted a 2ND fastest time on the final day but that's more showmanship from Fred plus some home field advantage. Fred might be faster in the early races but will probably break the car before the race weekend is over. Toro Rosso Honda look classy right now where as McLaren just looks like inmates running the asylum.

rogazilla
rogazilla

After the testing weeks. I put my money on STR scores more point by end of the season.

First 4 races, I expect McLaren hit with some DNFs where STR in the mid-field and score some points.
Next 4 races, McLaren if fixes more 'issues' score similar amount of point as STR.

Second half of the season I expect McLaren to come good but STR depends on how good the next spec Honda and how much in season developments are done I expect them to go head to head with McLaren.

I wouldn't be surprised McLaren to outscore STR the last 4 races of the season but probably not enough to over come the DNF they will have at the beginging to outscore STR.

Moose
Moose

*cough*

the EDGE
the EDGE

That Toro Rosso chassis must be terrible, wayyy too much Drag :D

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Yep, they are, as did McLaren, trying to make Honda look bad.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Can we now creating thread Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, Sauber or STR-Honda ?
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Andres125sx

There are 29 members wich should be applauded by their optimism and confidence in Honda, but reality told us today Honda is that bad

Wich also means McLaren chassis maybe not the best in the grid as some said, but it´s good for sure and it´s Honda who has been finally exposed