Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Honda Power Unit

ringo wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 05:09
Can someone explain what Hasegawa is saying about the turbo bearing and oil tank and oil blowing?
Trying to understand how their poorly designed oil tank affected the turbo lubrication.
I am sure it has to do with the scavenging of the bearings rather than the oil feed.
Had there been an issue with the oil supply, the main/big end bearings would have failed first.

The scavenge lines (for all cavities except the crankcase which doesn't need one) run from the 'air' side of the oil tank. They only exists so that the cavity can 'breathe' as the scavenge pump pulls the oil out. If for some reason oil starts coming through from the oil tank the bearings can get flooded. The last thing you want is a 125k rpm shaft running in oil.

godlameroso

Does this mean different lift and duration for each intake and exhaust valve? Are these head channels supposed to act as variable ports? That's very clever, I'm impressed if so.
Saishū kōnā

roon

godlameroso wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 00:56
Does this mean different lift and duration for each intake and exhaust valve? Are these head channels supposed to act as variable ports? That's very clever, I'm impressed if so.
Yeah, might be a reference to asymmetrical camshaft lobes. I'm not sure what this would have to do with "complex" ports, though.

godlameroso

roon wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 01:43
godlameroso wrote:
Yeah, might be a reference to asymmetrical camshaft lobes. I'm not sure what this would have to do with "complex" ports, though.
Since there's no variable cam timing or lift then with unique cam profiles and variable ports maybe you could get the effect indirectly.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

roon wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I think he means the axis and movement of the valves is not perpendicular to the axis of the camshaft and also not paralell to its sister valve.
In other words, the valves are splayed out wide to give some sort of desired flow pattern into the cylinders. Special cam followers would need to be used if this is true and the cylinder head would indeed be slightly taller maybe 1cm taller...?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

63l8qrrfy6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 16:48
roon wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I think he means the axis and movement of the valves is not perpendicular to the axis of the camshaft and also not paralell to its sister valve.
In other words, the valves are splayed out wide to give some sort of desired flow pattern into the cylinders. Special cam followers would need to be used if this is true and the cylinder head would indeed be slightly taller maybe 1cm taller...?
Correct - the pad on the finger follower is ground with a '3D' surface profile to maintain the desired contact with the valve end. They've been doing this ever since compound angles became the norm.

63l8qrrfy6

Wazari wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 22:45
"Tanol" = butanol.
Oil tank issue was attributed to shape, PU location and mounting angles. This led to intermittent cavitation causing air to go into the supply line for the MGU-H. Slosh dynamics is very difficult to mimic.
Camshaft design is part witchcraft and voodoo. This version of camshaft is slightly unique due to a very complex intake and exhaust passages in the cylinder head. One reason for a slightly taller and heavier head. Point to ponder: think BMW motorcycle engine camshafts.
I hear dyno testing to date is no comparison to same time last year. Both in terms of power and reliability.
Would the main/big end bearings not have failed first? Or is there a split oil circuit with multiple oil pumps ?

Normally cavitation on its own doesn't cause air in the oil system as vapor bubbles collapse very fast.

Wouter

Wazari wrote:

I hear dyno testing to date is no comparison to same time last year. Both in terms of power and reliability.
That was also the situation in Abu Dhabi. I was hoping anyone could tell me if they made progress during this wintertime in terms of power and reliability. Nevertheless thank you for answer Wazari.
The Power of Dreams!

OO7
OO7

godlameroso wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 05:04
Since there's no variable cam timing or lift then with unique cam profiles and variable ports maybe you could get the effect indirectly.
Sounds expensive.

carisi2k

Is that dyno testing good power and reliability wazari or not so good and what about economy? Will the Honda be using less fuel to go with this extra power and reliability?

hurril

Dear Mr. Wazari,

if you could change something (or a few things) in the PU rules, what would it (or they) be? Freevalves? Port injector too? Two turbos?

Nonserviam85

Wazari wrote:
Point to ponder: think BMW motorcycle engine camshafts.
Wazari, do you refer to the 1200cc boxer camshafts? The ones with the conical profile and ~20deg valve angle?

Lucky

Already the opening specification power unit in 2018 has almost completed the specification and it should not think that results will come out soon. Asaki himself said "I want time and I want about half a year."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
https://translate.google.it/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Snorked

We need a proper translation; is the author of the article saying the opening spec of the engine (which was Hasegawa's ?) is almost complete and won't see the results of Asaki's input, who says he needs 4, 5 or 6 months to implement it?

A new issue of that F1 Sokuho magazine releases on the 25th so maybe we'll get a full interview with the new Honda staff as that photo looks like some press junket setup.

dmjunqueira

Nonserviam85 wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 14:34
Wazari wrote:
Point to ponder: think BMW motorcycle engine camshafts.
Wazari, do you refer to the 1200cc boxer camshafts? The ones with the conical profile and ~20deg valve angle?
http://articles.sae.org/8444/