McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1

Re: McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

"Expect to see something quite evolutionary conceptually at launch," advised Prodromou.

But by the season start in Australia, the MCL33 will look different. "In truth, we have spent the last two or three months focusing on a race one upgrade," added the former Red Bull designer.

It seems that the onus during winter testing will be centred on evaluating the Renault engine and its compatibility with the MCL33's packaging, before all the new aero bits arrive for Melbourne
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

the EDGE

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 18:44

"Expect to see something quite evolutionary conceptually at launch," advised Prodromou.

But by the season start in Australia, the MCL33 will look different. "In truth, we have spent the last two or three months focusing on a race one upgrade," added the former Red Bull designer.

It seems that the onus during winter testing will be centred on evaluating the Renault engine and its compatibility with the MCL33's packaging, before all the new aero bits arrive for Melbourne
It’s probable that Melbourne’s race package will be tested in the last couple of days of Barcelona, assuming it is ready in time and all else is going well

the EDGE

Also from that article in sky

“Some teams have seen their monocoques crack under the 15-tonne test and have had to redesign the halo mounting points at the steering wheel position and at the two bases either side of the drivers' head.”

Any guesses as to who Morris is talking about?

bauc

the EDGE wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 18:57
GoranF1 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 18:44

It’s probable that Melbourne’s race package will be tested in the last couple of days of Barcelona, assuming it is ready in time and all else is going well
Its a obvious choice after such complex change from one PU to another so I expect the MCL33 to be very basic at Barcelona and one of the main focus of the tests to be the cooling. I still remember RBR drilling holes in their body to keep the engine cool
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

djones

I guess I am generally a negative person.

But I see this whole Renault thing as 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

Edit Thunder: deleted some Off Topic

GhostF1

I'm more concerned about the McLaren boys having to find 0.5+ seconds in the chassis and this is compared to the 2017 Red Bull. As they claim 1 second from the PU alone, the rest will have to come from somewhere. And it's made even harder by them having to redesign the rear suspension for the engine, a major chassis component which will have to be relearnt as opposed to evolved..

Edit Thunder: deleted some Off Topic

Mansell89

My guess is a white and orange McLaren for 2018.

Racer X

Mansell89 wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 01:38
My guess is a white and orange McLaren for 2018.
They pointing out the moments in History where they gambled big. To win big I think what they are saying is specially since it's a learning year with a new PU. That they are going to try do something radical. I mean if it doesn't work they can learn from it and adapt their design.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

the EDGE

Countdown timer on the McLaren website suggests the launch will be at 7am

I'm guessing that means pre-recorded online only & not live... very unusual for them

trinidefender

the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:44
Countdown timer on the McLaren website suggests the launch will be at 7am

I'm guessing that means pre-recorded online only & not live... very unusual for them
7am in what time Zone?

Mat-tes

According to the countdown, launch will be at 8:00am for west continental Europe (France, Spain, etc), so that would give 7:00am for UK and 2:00am ET. I'm really not sure who they are targeting with such a launch, in Japan that gives 4:00pm (yeah for me, great way to end the week), but they don't have any relationship with Honda or Japan anymore so I'm confused. Launching at 10:00am UK time would have make more sense.

Maybe they want to get the car back in the factory to work on it "early" in the morning. There is a fascinating bit about this in the amazon documentary, launch car was basically closed up and livery applied with the internals far from being completed.

If there is one speculation for this season, let's hope they remedied their production slump of last year and get ready on time.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Alonso Fan

It sounds beautiful!

But then again I also say that about diesel trains :P
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Vladimir