Points for everybody but with elimination

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

Points for everybody but with elimination

Random idea to improve races with a little more drama.
Everyone gets points 1 for last and +1 for every place above. If the lead car laps a car they lose there points. No blue flags so defending is allowed.

Now you might be thinking well teams will just stop once they have been lapped I have thought about this. Any car that laps another be it on track or due to passing them in the pits or an accident gets a bonus point. You lap ten cars you get ten points added. If you are a lapped you get no base points but if you also managed to lap someone you get points. This would make teams run until the last lap in hope that someone retires.
Extra action because defending is allowed.
Less cars would be lapped as the defending would slow faster cars down slightly.

Would be quite amusing to see a lead car stuck behind there teammate due to not wanting to eliminate them.

Elimination could be undone. Car would have to maintain the overtake for 3 sectors. For it to count in the first place and if that car retired later in the race as long as the eliminated car did more laps it would gain its place back and base points if no one else has also passed it.
Blue flags are only used for a car being lapped twice.

Edit also a previous retirement could re enter the race if they fix what was wrong and can then chase down the laps of another who hasn't been able to get out again from a crash or permanent failure
Last edited by marmer on 20 Feb 2018, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

Moose

Re: Points for everybody but with elimination

What benefits do you think this has over just racing, as we do today?

proteus

marmer wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 13:54
Random idea to improve races with a little more drama.
Everyone gets points 1 for last and +1 for every place above. If the lead car laps a car they lose there points. No blue flags so defending is allowed.

Now you might be thinking well teams will just stop once they have been lapped I have thought about this. Any car that laps another be it on track or due to passing them in the pits or an accident gets a bonus point. You lap ten cars you get ten points added. If you are a lapped you get no base points but if you also managed to lap someone you get points. This would make teams run until the last lap in hope that someone retires.
Extra action because defending is allowed.
Less cars would be lapped as the defending would slow faster cars down slightly.

Would be quite amusing to see a lead car stuck behind there teammate due to not wanting to eliminate them.

Elimination could be undone. Car would have to maintain the overtake for 3 sectors. For it to count in the first place and if that car retired later in the race as long as the eliminated car did more laps it would gain its place back and base points if no one else has also passed it.
Blue flags are only used for a car being lapped twice.

Edit also a previous retirement could re enter the race if they fix what was wrong and can then chase down the laps of another who hasn't been able to get out again from a crash or permanent failure
Why, why and why? Who would bother to keep the track on such complicated system.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

roon

I like the idea of racing for points throughout the grid. I'm not sure what you mean by 'elimination', as described. Can you say it in a different way?

marmer

They lose their base points that they would earn from their finishing position. But keep any earned from lapping others. Maybe elimination is not the correct word not sure what works best describes it sorry.

It wouldn't be that hard to keep a track of. The FIA already shows how many laps down a car is to the lead car.
Once a car is lapped by the lead car they don't lose more points by being overtaken again by 2nd place.
2nd would earn a point for lapping the car though. But this could be a simple calculation done at the end of the race basically if lead car and the top ten all manage full 70 laps of a gp only cars who managed to lap get bonus points. If the top 5 passed everyone up to tenth they would get a point each per car passed. Wouldn't be hard to calculate. If you running and slightly ahead of a car trying to lap you but you have already been lapped by someone else. When the race ends you would cross the finish line infront of a car on the lead lap who didn't lap you. So that's where people stop getting points for lapping you. Just a case of repeating it for all cars that have been lapped by lead car.

I know written down it's complicated but it wouldn't be hard to follow as it would be covered well by TV as it is actual on track action. Basically you lap someone you earn a extra point doesn't matter how it happens. On track or in pits.

Would be great to see teams like Williams and force India on good days pounding round for extra points trying to catch a slow sauber for example. Instead of just sitting in 5-7 place not doing anything other than saving fuel

zac510

Why don't you build an AI logic model, rent some cloud computing, run one million random simulations and then get back to us with the results?

roon

marmer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 00:42
They lose their base points that they would earn from their finishing position. But keep any earned from lapping others.
Still not quite following you. What are base points? Why would they be deducted? I get the part about points for passes, I like that.

The flack you're getting in this thread is not well articulated. I'm not seeing any glaring errors in your logic. Competition for points at the back of the grid would add urgency for all positions.
Last edited by roon on 21 Feb 2018, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

I like the Player Killer racing idea. No Blue flags, lapped cars park it.

marmer

roon wrote:
marmer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 00:42
They lose their base points that they would earn from their finishing position. But keep any earned from lapping others.
Still not quite following you. What are base points? Why would they be deducted? I get the part about points for passes, I like that.

The flack you're getting in this thread is not well articulated. I'm not seeing any glaring errors in your logic. Competition for points at the back of the grid would add urgency for all positions.
Base points are just the points like what they get now they would be deducted if you are slow enough to be lapped. This way it would stop a manor from getting points as they wouldn't be getting any base points only bonus points from lapping retired cars but everyone would get a point so no advantage.

I speculate that in most races with defending allowed you would get a top ten finishing on the lead lap as there would be a point reached where it's much harder to overtake without blue flags.

Manoah2u

manor has not been around after 2016 anymore so manor not getting points is rather easy.

i don't see the use of giving points to non-competitive participating. there should be put some effort into racing, not just 'participating.'.
just cause a safety car situation and all teams will unlap themselves again. the amount of holes and gaps in the above theory is endless.
there was a elimination-style qually tested a while ago, it was a disaster. no need to have another embarassment during racing.

points for passes is rediculous, you already have that; you get more points! if you finish 10th you get 1 point, 9th etc. etc. etc.

also way to go, hamilton fighting for the championship with vettel close on his tail but a super slow backmarker with an arrogant driver doesn't let him pass, causing a train behind a backmarker, frustrating the much faster drivers behind him, which have no actual influence on net end championship results for the backmarker, for exactly what reason?

what's wrong with f1 right now that it needs change? if there is anything that would need 'reviewing', which is going to happen anyway as been mentioned already by Brawn, is DRS.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer

Manoah2u wrote:manor has not been around after 2016 anymore so manor not getting points is rather easy.

i don't see the use of giving points to non-competitive participating. there should be put some effort into racing, not just 'participating.'.
just cause a safety car situation and all teams will unlap themselves again. the amount of holes and gaps in the above theory is endless.
there was a elimination-style qually tested a while ago, it was a disaster. no need to have another embarassment during racing.

points for passes is rediculous, you already have that; you get more points! if you finish 10th you get 1 point, 9th etc. etc. etc.

also way to go, hamilton fighting for the championship with vettel close on his tail but a super slow backmarker with an arrogant driver doesn't let him pass, causing a train behind a backmarker, frustrating the much faster drivers behind him, which have no actual influence on net end championship results for the backmarker, for exactly what reason?

what's wrong with f1 right now that it needs change? if there is anything that would need 'reviewing', which is going to happen anyway as been mentioned already by Brawn, is DRS.
Was waiting for you and your over valued opinions. Just on the safety car situation. Cars would not unlap as they do now

Manoah2u

marmer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 14:04
Manoah2u wrote:manor has not been around after 2016 anymore so manor not getting points is rather easy.

Was waiting for you and your over valued opinions. Just on the safety car situation. Cars would not unlap as they do now
over valued opinions :lol: :lol:
what do you want then, post in a public board and expect everybody to agree with you? :?:

so let me get this straight ; you will want to do a restart with the cars all in there about to be lapped, after a race has been neutralized, which will see the fast cars overtake cars in a 'whim' so to speak. that's gonna be fast points removal then.

race start, first corner. contact between a force india and a williams. rookie hits ace. ace gets a flat tire. rookie has nothing but gets a 5 sec penalty, nothing more. ace struggles to get to the pits. with a damaged floor, driver tries to make do with all and hope for the best. p1 driver overtakes him whilst still in the pit garage.
you see where this is going?
it doesn't 'reward' drivers, only punish them.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Now now Manoah2u, lets be fair...... oh wait, yeah its not a very good idea, in my opinion of course. Fair play for taking the time to come up with the idea though.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dave kumar

C'mon, it's easy to pick holes in someone's suggestion, not so easy to come up with a new idea so at least give the OP a little credit. A bit of constructive criticism would lead to a more interesting discussion. This is a novel idea and as such deserves consideration.

Even without all the other ideas proposed here, just getting rid of blue flags would be radical - see the below discussion for some opinions on that!
forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9014
Formerly known as senna-toleman

FrukostScones

ALO raced to this last year already.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.