Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
3jawchuck

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

All this poor airbrushing of the official launch pics just screams "look, look at this" to me. It's so bad, it is probably deliberately so. A distraction to keep people talking about something which isn't so important?

oetger

Not the best compare, because of wrong scaling ..

PlatinumZealot

The side pod are inlets are almost the same size as last years actually. What is different is the 2018 side pod is more compact at the rear.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ScrewCaptain27

3jawchuck wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 13:59
All this poor airbrushing of the official launch pics just screams "look, look at this" to me. It's so bad, it is probably deliberately so. A distraction to keep people talking about something which isn't so important?
I am convinced it’s the exact same tactic they used in 2010 with the fake exhausts. This time though I don’t really see anything to hide.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

roon

3jawchuck wrote:
Horner called it a launch livery. They've done testing liveries in the past.

The special edition livery has made its mark on the 2018 season. Knowing we were running all of our development and processes earlier to meet this early launch, we felt that ‘shift’ had to be reflected in the livery, hence the ‘digital disruption’ you saw on the RB14 at Silverstone. news/21509

roon

Eight elements on the FW main plane.

shady

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:25
3jawchuck wrote:
I am convinced it’s the exact same tactic they used in 2010 with the fake exhausts. This time though I don’t really see anything to hide.

There is a slot, whether its meaningful in anyway, or a distraction is yet to be seen.

Manoah2u

after seeing the Alfa Romeo Sauber, i'm confident this isn't close to the final-spec car we'll see. The halo of the Sauber is very detailed and 'complicated', where this looks just like some placeholder 'handle'. No doubt there will be something similar to Sauber's solution regarding the halo.

Nose and FW looks also too similar to last year's, i expect that to change just as well.

Renault has to be the most underwhelming reveal except for a fantastic livery and interesting airbox.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

lio007

There is an uncut version of their filming day available:

At 2:56 you can really see some nice aero work going on.

ME4ME

I think Manoah you and many others underestimate a sound and well exectured design. Evolutionary steps aren't as interesting but for all its bells and whistles the Sauber has yet to prove it's effectiveness. This has been shown time and time again throughout the years.

roon

Different rear brake ducts used for the two photo shoots:

The diffuser gurneys look similar to last year:

The lower front wishbones are no-longer conjoined, Merc-style components:

The upper front wishbone remains in a traditional location, no raised Merc/STR-style raised mounts:

'Legality vanes' inside the nose.

wesley123

roon wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 21:46
Eight elements on the FW main plane.

https://i.imgur.com/WF804jK.png

https://i.imgur.com/SQndfmX.png

https://i.imgur.com/uYZiwdZ.png
The final spec RB13 had eight elements there as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zac510

ME4ME wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 22:30
I think Manoah you and many others underestimate a sound and well exectured design. Evolutionary steps aren't as interesting but for all its bells and whistles the Sauber has yet to prove it's effectiveness. This has been shown time and time again throughout the years.
I agree. The cars evolve so much throughout the year these days that, in the absence of any large rule changes (ie 2016->2017) then I am not surprised to see the new year's model be simply an evolution of the last. This was a race winning car just a few months ago.

seezung

(6400x3600) High detail picture

FrukostScones

the vortices looks a bit off, but I think this blue Ferrari will slaugher the competition this year.
Maybe VES is unlucky with reliability again and RIC will be champion...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.