2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

RonDennis wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 16:58
Let's wait and see. McLaren and Red Bull are always talking about how great their chassis is, but I always have a feeling that they are underestimating the chassis performance of the Mercedes.
Maybe. But we do know that Mercedes is at the very worst the most powerful engine of the lot, perhaps with the Ferrari close enough on race-day. So when a car, like the McLaren or the RedBull do a great job with a clearly and undisputed less powerful engine to keep up or even win the occasional race on performance, I do think that has a lot to do with chassis and aero efficiency.

Not saying the Mercedes isn't good - it's clearly the best car of all the cars running a Mercedes power unit, but comparing it to other cars running a "compromised" engine, well...

In other words, this season at least, we will get to compare the RedBull, the McLaren and the Renault team from an aero and chassis perspective given they are all running the same power-unit. If McLaren are not on the same level of RedBull, well, we can draw conclusions from that. Maybe they need some time to get the engine integration right or their chassis just isn't as strong as we thought... Either way, I think RedBull will be difficult to beat with the extensive knowledge they have on the Renault powerunit and if McLaren happen to be close to RedBull, well, I'd be impressed (unless RB have some issues or something, like i.e. beginning of last season).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RonDennis
RonDennis

bauc

RonDennis wrote:
Let's wait and see. McLaren and Red Bull are always talking about how great their chassis is, but I always have a feeling that they are underestimating the chassis performance of the Mercedes.
Well lets put it like this, RBR with Mercedes PU against Mercedes factory team on 21 races during the year, who wins?

If we take into consideration how big of a difference the PU makes in this new formula, then its safe to say the RBB would have been in a fair fight with Mercedes or even beating them most of the time. As for Mclaren, its too soon to tell, its their first year with Renault PU and for sure they cant be a match for RBR right away.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ennis
Ennis

kaepernickus wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:52
cplchanb wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:40
Hate the livery design...just no creativity and it actually makes them look broke without any big title sponsor.

The colour looks good tho
So the Mercedes W09 makes Mercedes also look like they are broke?

... I'll never get that "many ads on a car look good" thing.
Yes it's good for the team from a financial perspective, but less ads LOOK way better.
I agree with you generally, but this McLaren needs a livery change or a sponsor there.

To have small sponsors, then a large space with a single 'block' colour screams "something is missing here". Maybe its because my brain is programmed through years of watching F1 to need something on that sidepod, but it needs something on that sidepod. Even colour, a design.. something to break up the block. Right now it just screams sponsor space.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Ennis wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 18:15
kaepernickus wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:52
cplchanb wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:40
Hate the livery design...just no creativity and it actually makes them look broke without any big title sponsor.

The colour looks good tho
So the Mercedes W09 makes Mercedes also look like they are broke?

... I'll never get that "many ads on a car look good" thing.
Yes it's good for the team from a financial perspective, but less ads LOOK way better.
I agree with you generally, but this McLaren needs a livery change or a sponsor there.

To have small sponsors, then a large space with a single 'block' colour screams "something is missing here". Maybe its because my brain is programmed through years of watching F1 to need something on that sidepod, but it needs something on that sidepod. Even colour, a design.. something to break up the block. Right now it just screams sponsor space.
I think that is exactly what they are screaming: "For rent!!!!"

RonDennis
RonDennis

bauc wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 17:15
RonDennis wrote:
Well lets put it like this, RBR with Mercedes PU against Mercedes factory team on 21 races during the year, who wins?

If we take into consideration how big of a difference the PU makes in this new formula, then its safe to say the RBB would have been in a fair fight with Mercedes or even beating them most of the time. As for Mclaren, its too soon to tell, its their first year with Renault PU and for sure they cant be a match for RBR right away.
Because Red Bull says so? Just like they would win the championship in 2017 right. It's just cheap talk from Red Bull and McLaren.

vantage87
vantage87

Last edited by vantage87 on 23 Feb 2018, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i did a photoshop and turned the blue black. though at first i thought it looked better,
at second i realized that it also looked more 'dated' and grabbing back to older days, and a bit bland even.

the blue needs some taking used to, and i think it's not entirely prettiest the way they choose what to make blue and what not.
but it does add an interesting look to the car and i'm starting to like it. it is definately very recognisable and as such, a successfull change.

as for the vids above, nice to see, but i hate the overdoing now with the orange. come on. we know it's orange, lol.

good to see the Mclaren going. starting to get excited finally.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

Look at Alonso's face during the interviews, he's actually happy, something we didn't really see the last 3 years.
Saishū kōnā

RonDennis
RonDennis

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 00:43
Look at Alonso's face during the interviews, he's actually happy, something we didn't really see the last 3 years.
Well, after three years it must feel good to know you can actually compete with other teams.

JonoNic

Sorry, but Alonso was portrayed as 'always' unhappy by the media. That same media will change their approach this season. The plain even clean looking scheme is to attract sponsors and appeal to faithful McLaren supporters.

Always find the gap then use it.

Andres125sx

JonoNic wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 11:43
Sorry, but Alonso was portrayed as 'always' unhappy by the media. That same media will change their approach this season. The plain even clean looking scheme is to attract sponsors and appeal to faithful McLaren supporters.
So Alonso´s past seasons angry and also the smile we´ve seen just after his first run in the new car are all media manipulations?

Remove your tinfoil hat please

Andres125sx

Funny, he can´t even wait for the pit exit to test the new PU :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JonoNic

Andres125sx wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 11:43
So Alonso´s past seasons angry and also the smile we´ve seen just after his first run in the new car are all media manipulations?

Remove your tinfoil hat please
Care to explain why you think I'm wearing a tinfoil hat.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Godius