General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
etusch

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

At first races they can do more laps but a few race later it will change. This is just my expectation. Especially Renault and Honda users.

Strax

I do not understand why a team should only use 3 engines and jeopardize it's regular running and preparations. In a championship with so many races, there will certainly be an opportunity to introduce a 4th engine, such as a poor qualifying result (say because of rain) or another technical problem (maybe gearbox).

ivanlesk

Teams didn't run PU-s with 100% of power, especially first week of testing.
A lot of milage were installation laps, inlaps, laps with aero devices atrached etc.
So definitely milage is not representative atm.

McHonda

Strax wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 15:43
I do not understand why a team should only use 3 engines and jeopardize it's regular running and preparations. In a championship with so many races, there will certainly be an opportunity to introduce a 4th engine, such as a poor qualifying result (say because of rain) or another technical problem (maybe gearbox).
The problem will be matching it up with upgrades. You won't want to take a new PU that's the same spec as the old one as it's supposed to last 7 races, 5 if you take another.

If the upgrade isn't ready you'd be reluctant to waste your allocation on it so it's got to be ready and that's the tough and unknown bit. Mercedes got one over on Ferrari because of this last year at Spa. Theirs was ready so they could beat the oil limit and Ferrari's wasn't. And it cost someone his job (Though it worked out for him in the end as he's at Mercedes now).

JonoNic

I don't have an issue with 3 PU limit. However, punishing a team if a PU is damaged in an accident does not encourage more daring overtaking opportunities during the season.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

ispano6

JonoNic wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 23:39
I don't have an issue with 3 PU limit. However, punishing a team if a PU is damaged in an accident does not encourage more daring overtaking opportunities during the season.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Agreed, a PU and gearbox change caused by a shunt due to another team should be a penalty on the team that caused it. There also need to be more clean starts. I can remember at least three times when McLarenHonda got shafted first lap after bringing new developments to a race. TR will need to stay clear of getting caught up in the opening lap mayhem since only two cars provide race telemetry to Honda. I would not be surprised to see TR forced or bullied into giving way or avoiding more aggressive moves from the McLaren, Force Indias and Haas drivers. Hopefully Hartley and Gasly will be level headed and choose their battles wisely.

Zynerji

I think the Honda engine is going to be a huge surprise success of 2018. I just hope that STR have the money to keep the chassis development moving forward to keep pace with this engine package while they are the only focus of Honda. Even if RBR steal the Works status for 2019, the deeper STR gets this year with Honda, the more they will get from being a customer team in the future.

ispano6

I presume not all upgrades need a new PU switch (including fuel upgrades from Mobil). An engine should be allowed to be serviced and maintained with it being taken apart and inspected between races. As long as the main componentry are retained and problematic or suspect individual parts such as bearings, belts, seals and gaskets are replaceable then a single engine might be usable for 7 events. The key is knowing when to stop before any irreversible damage is inflicted on the components that do have finite restrictions. I believe this is what Honda saw in the anomaly in their data analysis. Now they need to investigate if it will be a recurring issue and whether it can be addressed on site during a race weekend or if the team will have to take a penalty on a component.
STR now have the full dedication of the engine manufacturer team to help issues on the fly, which bodes well for them compared to last year. As long as Honda and STR work together to compliment each others design and engineering philosophies the package should gradually look tighter and be more efficient very soon.

bigblue

From the Honda Power Unit thread,
HPD wrote: We are leaving the main theme.

But when reading the Japanese forums, they say that Christian Horner is not as interested in using the Honda PU. Unlike Helmut Marko, who wants Honda in 2019. It could be true..
For what it's worth there's an article at grandprix.com including the following,
No May engine deadline for Red Bull says Horner

"What we understand is that May is when you have to give an indication to the FIA, but that does not mean a commitment," he said.

"It will be decided at the end of the summer. That's the realistic timing of when the decisions have to be made."

[...]

"Honda has had a fantastic start with Toro Rosso," agreed Horner.

"Obviously, we're in a good position to keep an eye on their progress in the first half of the year. We're going to follow it with great interest," he added.
Doesn't sound too downbeat about it there, assuming the reporting is accurate !

jagunx51

foxmulder_ms wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 23:27
Steven wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 12:35
This is 2018. Can we all stop now discussing if McLaren's engine switch was right or wrong, and focus on what Honda is doing now?

Discussions on why the switch happened I think are still fine, but personal opinions about if that is right or wrong don't matter. The teams decide based on a lot more facts than we have.
So the juiciest topic in current F1 affairs should not be discussed in an F1 forum under a "General Honda F1 Topic".. OK.. =D> =D> :wtf:

Honda burning Mclaren will be one of the most satisfying stories ever in F1 especially if they partner with the "real" redbull team.
then it should be "General Honda F1 Topic 2018"

:D :D
............!!!!

HPD

bigblue wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 22:44
Doesn't sound too downbeat about it there, assuming the reporting is accurate !
I hope you are right!

dren

I see sparks flying between RB and Renault over the PUs in May.
Honda!

techman

if redbull join s with honda. it will be the best news for me.

munudeges

With Ilmor's involvement, it's pretty much inevitable. This is not the unit produced by the same people over the past three years. Red Bull must have rubbed their hands together when McLaren dropped them, although McLaren didn't have a choice. They absolutely needed to have a known quantity in the back of the car.

nzjrs

munudeges wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 19:36
With Ilmor's involvement, it's pretty much inevitable. This is not the unit produced by the same people over the past three years. Red Bull must have rubbed their hands together when McLaren dropped them, although McLaren didn't have a choice. They absolutely needed to have a known quantity in the back of the car.
Are we back at the Ilmor saved the day hypothesis? Puh-lease.