Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bosyber

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Why would Merc. do that, then lie about only using 0.6 in subsequent races anyway (They clarified they were only using that somewhere after Monza/Spa)?

I don't say we should buy everything that Wolff says, but Sieper, you seem to be harping a bit much on the 'Merc, Ferrari cheat with oil' thing, when the alternative is that it's just not all that Horner has made it to be, which would not actually be that big a surprise, as he's certainly not less opportunistic in what he says than Wolff.

bosyber

Also, the answer to why Williams, Force India didn't have the same "Q3 effect" as Mercedes was given by Perez this week: they already use those modes from Q1 onwards to get to Q3, while Mercedes (better chassis) usually didn't need to until Q3.

CLKGTR

CLKGTR wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 01:36
Three Renault teams, three different fuel suppliers - if 2018 PU is designed for BP/Castrol which factory Renault team uses (which makes sense), does Red Bull (Esso) and McLaren (Petrobras) have less power compared to Renault? What do you think?
Toto Wolff and I thinking about the same thing :mrgreen:

http://classic.autosport.com/news/repor ... ostpopular

godlameroso

I think 3 different large powerful petrochemical companies working together on the fuel would make better fuel than just one. I think the stuff that gets burned is the same in all the Renaults, the lubes maybe are different.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

Mclaren aren't using Petrobras until 2019, it's just branding this year.

Sieper

godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:02
I think 3 different large powerful petrochemical companies working together on the fuel would make better fuel than just one. I think the stuff that gets burned is the same in all the Renaults, the lubes maybe are different.
Ofcourse. What gets burned in the mercs also has nothing to do with petronas. The fuel is developed in exactly the same place as the engine is. It will be no different for Honda or Renault or Ferrari.

I am not harkening, it is worth 20hp, exactly the limit was being burned and merc immediatelly placed the 0,9l allowed using engine at the last chance (Monza) and used it until brasil. These facts speak much louder to me then Any Horner or wolff semantics.

toraabe

At least the engine now has got the power to be up in the front.

iichel

Some pictures I took at the Geneva motor show yesterday. There was a R.E. 18 Power unit on display, but I'm a bit skeptical about Renault showing their current power unit before the start of the season.

Right-click open in new tab to see a larger version.
https://imgur.com/a/4Ae5t

Blackout

Nice pics. Thanks. Thats an RE17 with fake exhausts.
Is it a twin entry turbine or a single one like in 2014>2016? not clear in the pics

iichel

it was displayed with a single entry turbine

godlameroso

What if Renault moves next year to a split turbo layout?
Saishū kōnā

baybars

I think RE18 need more cooling than RE17 or team increase cooling for reliability

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13479 ... g-headache

Bell said Renault has "pushed like hell" on the chassis, and not made compromises to its package to aid cooling despite new engine rules clamping down further on how many components can be used this season.

Asked about the new rules' impact on its 2018 car design, Bell said: "It can effect some of the thermal conditions we have to meet on integrating the power unit into the chassis, but not to any great extent.

Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 18:51
I just get the impression that Renault are not necessarily being aggressive with the PU development as they could be. I think they're trying to synchronize with the chassis development with the PU. They probably won't give that push until they feel the works team is ready to challenge for the title
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

gandharva

godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 18:51
Not going to happen. They would have done this years ago.
baybars wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 19:16
I think RE18 need more cooling than RE17 or team increase cooling for reliability
First and foremost it's for reliability as only 3 engines are allowed now, but also for performance. It was already clear at the end of last season that the renault engine demands more and more cooling to unlock power. While Renault itself and RBR could keep up, TR struggled to meet the increased cooling demands.

I think this is why RBR completely re-designed it's cooling devices and RB14 now features 2 massive intercoolers that solely aid the turbocharger. Feeding cooler compressed intake air leads to an increase in efficiency, horsepower, and torque because of lower intake temps. This is even more important as Renault kept with a classic layout instead of switching to split-turbo like Merc/Honda. On the other hand a better intercooler also leads to lower exhaust gas temperatures that massively aid the engine’s internals.

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 16:18
IMO one of the reasons that intake plenum is so swept forward is the need to free as much space as possible at the back of the V for the new compressor air duct... The new turbo seems to be much compact and closer to the PU, and the new compressor's intake has been placed inside the V, à la Ferrari, IMO (while it was outisde in 2014-2016)...
And maybe that plenum hides a small air-water intercooler too... or a diaphragm-like system :P
So I was right... except for the red part :mrgreen: As you can see, the compressor's airbox is now located forward of the engine's rear mounting points. That means the whole turbo hase been pushed forward. The red-capped disc-shaped airbox seems to hang inside the V.. well almost.
And the intake plenum bends forward to clear the way for the airbox... A 2014-2016 plenum would sit on the 2017 compressor inlet.
Couldnt find a good pic, but the 2014-2016 PU had its airbox aft the v6 mounting point so outside the engine.
So 2017 engine "2nd gen" is shorter/more compact.
Which, on paper, brings some benefits regarding weight distribution, pipework/lag, gearbox size/aero etc