Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hurril

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

AJI wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:26
hurril wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:16
AJI wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:14

Someone help me out here. Is that square box with 12 hand written on it an enormous air-water intercooler?
And is the triangular thing behind it the compressor air intake? Kind of looks like another cooler, but maybe I guess it's filter?
Yes on the first one, the second thing is most likely the "cooler" for the intercooler.
So, the compressor intake is the tube on the side of tge IC that we see in the picture above?
It's a good guess, I don't know :)

PlatinumZealot

Morteza wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 10:15
A photo of the 2018 power unit
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... engine.jpg
Similar " fish gill" coolers like Red Bull on the sides of the airbox.

Edit : nope! Appears to be the air intake to the compressor. How cramped!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

seezung

Another pic of 2018 unit:

toraabe

Lookes like a mess in that state. Look la all the cables just dangling around

oetger

63l8qrrfy6

Is it a funny angle or that charge cooler sits really high up ?

MtthsMlw

If the smoke only goes through this small tube what's the rest of the rectangular opening for?

[media]https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/9 ... 12096?s=19[/media]

Blackout

So the 'ambient' air enters the water intercooler (which now sits on top of the intake plenum) from the bottom, is cooled and exits from the top...
Last edited by Blackout on 10 Mar 2018, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

johnny comelately

re FerrariSmokegate: do they have a throttle butterfly and where is it positioned?

FW17

Mudflap wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:39
Previously the inter cooler was a rear entry and front exit with charge air pipe would turn towards the top to meet the VLIM

This year with inclined set up the inlet into the inter cooler is in the bottom with exit on the top. The change duct then runs forward towards a much longer VLIM entry. Something similar to Renault

marmer

Just a thought on the oil burning that the engine might be doing a lot of. Is it possible that they have a hidden storage area that trickles oil into the sump and maintains the correct amount of oil so the FIA doesn't see any cheating while allowing them to burn oil

marmer

Or another thought is if they are dumping oil in the air box before going out just go help with qualification

aleks_ader

FW17 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 12:11
Mudflap wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:39
Previously the inter cooler was a rear entry and front exit with charge air pipe would turn towards the top to meet the VLIM

This year with inclined set up the inlet into the inter cooler is in the bottom with exit on the top. The change duct then runs forward towards a much longer VLIM entry. Something similar to Renault
You mean in 2014/15 PU.

Just for sake of evolution of this PU i made sumary;
  • 2014, PU model 059/03;

Pretty bold step to gain aero advantage for sake of power. This PU had "low" thermal footprint.
TC and MGUH sits pretty high. Clever short charge cooling piping and air-h2o intercooler assembly.
Remember oil tank and MGUK in bellcrank housing ˇ. Higher inertia sacrificing mechanical grip for AERO. Repeating story...
Also weird overhead exhaust. Very narrow but loong PU hence aero sacriface.
  • 2015 PU 059/04
Oil tank now in-front of engine, MGUK on the its left side and "normal" tubular exhaust piping...
Increased thermal output due to more demand from hybrid sys. So chassis designers made innovative cooling solution...
  • 2016 PU 059/05
...in 2016 they added additional intercooler. One air-air and one h2o-air intercooler infront of PU. Picture below from http://en.f1i.com there is comparison. NOTE: upper half 2016, bottom half 2015 unit.
Pictureˇ with same story (upper half 2016, bottom half 2015 unit.) just another angle and "annotations".
August 2016, look ˇ that long compressor&intercooler charge piping from back to the front...
  • 2017 PU 059/06
At beginning of 2017. Back to 2014/2015 roots how to position h2o interccoler above the ICE to reduce "lag" or piping lenght. Now just with more space for intake plenum and VLIM sys. Also tight wraping splitting air intake piping towards compressor inlet ˇ.
Haas 2017; Also as from 2016 very low deep lying TC/MGUH to offset CofG deficit from intercooler ˇ.
After Malasia (or around that time) they added triangular radiator above gearbox&TC assembly ˇ.
  • 2018 Pu 59/07
I believe is just evolution of 2017 contender.

Indeed at first glance very cramped setup, but they make clever use all of that space somehow. Kudos to them.It is impressive to see how much it evolves from chassis requirement and also for pure chasing for PU thermal and total mechanical efficiency. I m impressed because this unit keeps Mercedes honest. All that without split turbo layout. I m loving it. The diversity and engineering behind all those units on the grid is mindbending.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Mr.G

Can somebody well known of the regulation explain what exactly is "bannned" regarding the oil "consuption"?

Would it be possible to "bleed" the oil trough the turbocharger? I mean is TC in the same regulations about oil usage as the ICE?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

godlameroso

Mr.G wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 14:57
Can somebody well known of the regulation explain what exactly is "bannned" regarding the oil "consuption"?

Would it be possible to "bleed" the oil trough the turbocharger? I mean is TC in the same regulations about oil usage as the ICE?
Nothing is banned, they can still burn oil just the amount the ICE consumes is regulated to .6 liters per 100km or .7qt per 60mi. Which is still a ridiculous amount. Most road cars that have oil consumption issues are burning a liter per 1,600km not per 160km like is allowed in f1. That's a 1,000% difference.
Saishū kōnā