Brake Bias - Balance Bar Issue

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jimcroisdale

Brake Bias - Balance Bar Issue

Hi all,

Designed a balance bar brake bias system for my gravity racer. Finally got it all hooked up and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FApsRy7TE90

I can only think that the cylinder pushrods are allowing too much non linear motion (im using cheap quad bike cylinders) but looking at the design of Wilwood/Girling type cylinders they look very much the same - pushrod with domed end sitting against the piston and held in place with a washer and circlip.

Looking at it, what the balance bar is doing seems perfectly reasonable - moving up and down at the ends rather than pushing against the spring. But what makes my system so different and how do other systems stay so linear?

Any ideas?

Jim

Jolle

Re: Brake Bias - Balance Bar Issue

jimcroisdale wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 11:06
Hi all,

Designed a balance bar brake bias system for my gravity racer. Finally got it all hooked up and this happens:

I can only think that the cylinder pushrods are allowing too much non linear motion (im using cheap quad bike cylinders) but looking at the design of Wilwood/Girling type cylinders they look very much the same - pushrod with domed end sitting against the piston and held in place with a washer and circlip.

Looking at it, what the balance bar is doing seems perfectly reasonable - moving up and down at the ends rather than pushing against the spring. But what makes my system so different and how do other systems stay so linear?

Any ideas?

Jim
I would limit the motion of the point on the brake lever itself. no up and down, just left-right.

gambler

jimcroisdale wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 11:06
Hi all,

Any ideas?

Jim
The tube in the pedal is too narrow, it needs to come all the way out to where the pushrods are strait , minus the thickness of 2 swash plate washers (like hard medium thick fenderwashers) look at a pic of a wilwood twin pedal assembly. I set them up with about .090 gap total) They will always flop a little, just keep adjusting untill you get the feel you want. You may also want to make sure the center line up and down is strait.

jimcroisdale

Yes, you are correct. After looking some more at setups online I realised that the master cylinders were spaced too far apart. Ive moved them closer so that they are almost touching the central tube and it works a treat now. :-)