F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
r101

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

I can tell you from personal knowledge, synchronizing the timing would be quite simple.

Streaming will most likely use HLS or MPEG-DASH, which both operate using 'chunks' of several seconds (usually 2-10) of video material and each chunk has its own precise timecode. Now all you need is to either split stats as well at corresponding timepoints, and show them at the same time as video, or just mark 'chapters' on a continuing stat recording and then play those alongside the correct video (not to bother you with finer details like encoder delay etc - but all of that will be factored in).

As for delay between live and streaming - this is normal as any client device will want to have several chunks as a buffer for poor/varying in quality internet connection.

ivanlesk

Any news about service?
Maybe launch date or rumors of one?

Juzh

Melbourne weekend at the earliest.

r101

The thing is I think they are on the edge of supplying the service in time because any sane person would start some beta to test out the CDN, software, etc on a big scale.
It would be very unwise to start one day before season opens without a single day of testing and some time to fix things if there is a problem.
Ahem.. Reminds you of some f1 teams, perhaps :)?

nevill3

[media]https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 3150599168[/media]

It looks like it may be live in time for the first race
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Thunder

So apparently the User will have Access to different Language Streams. For Example German Users will have access to the German (RTL *bleh*), French, Italian and English Com,entary. That makes it more Interesting for me.

https://www.sport.de/news/ne3114725/f1- ... ingdienst/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Moose

The important question to me is - who's going to be doing the English stream. Hopefully they've managed to get the Sky team to agree to give them the commentary.

NathanOlder

But it seems most people round here dont like the sky team ? Personally I think they are great, but it doesn't seem to be the same for the majority.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

bosyber

Thunder wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 15:25
So apparently the User will have Access to different Language Streams. For Example German Users will have access to the German (RTL *bleh*), French, Italian and English Com,entary. That makes it more Interesting for me.

https://www.sport.de/news/ne3114725/f1- ... ingdienst/
Pfew, that's good news. Despite possible doubts about the Sky team's approach/biases, they do in general know what they are talking about and at least care nominally about things non-German related. I had no interest in a German RTL provided OTT, then I'd make do with the same+commercials, as it would remain frustrating anyway.

Now my only thought is whether me being in NL for that weekend means getting the stream difficult (I do live in Germany mostly).

rscsr

It seems that you won't be able to watch more than one stream at a time.
They also say that the highest quality stream will be 3Mb. Hopefully they mean 24Mbit/s.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championshi ... 1/FAQ.html

r101

rscsr wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 19:35
It seems that you won't be able to watch more than one stream at a time.
They also say that the highest quality stream will be 3Mb. Hopefully they mean 24Mbit/s.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championshi ... 1/FAQ.html
If it was 24 Mbps it would say 'MB' not 'Mb'. If they bought top-notch encoders, 3 Mbps could be good enough for solid 720p, or a bit blurry but watchable 1080p with h265 codec which not all clients can play.. Perhaps they are going conservative on this because of the unknowns in the CDN (content delivery network} they chose because Netflix has shown 4k is real and available for 12 USD/month as well..
Else they might be wanting to maximise earnings by saving on bandwidth. That option would, simply said, suck.

Juzh

English commentary will be from sky. Its already been confirmed.

Jambier

F1 TV pro is becoming real, so you can see here :

https://sit.formula1.com/en/subscribe-to-f1-tv-pro.html

Nothing for the UK
8€ for countries where.... Broadcast was free.

And 18.99€ in France :lol: (basicaly what we can have when negociating with Canal+ who own F1 rights)

I thought it was a very clever idea to have this service. But it was to good to be true.

Thunder

So € 64,99 per Year to avoid Heiko, Kai and Nico. Sounds fair. :mrgreen:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bosyber

Thunder wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 10:26
So € 64,99 per Year to avoid Heiko, Kai and Nico. Sounds fair. :mrgreen:
Yep, pretty good deal, I think.