Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Blaze1
52
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by Blaze1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:52 am

Kalsi wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 am
Sorry if this was posted before but...

CircusF1 claiming W09 not only retained it`s wheelbase, but it increased instead by another 63mm taking the mercedes to a whopping 3.823mm.
SF71-H on the other hand should be 120mm longer than it`s predecessor... taking the ferrari 2018 car to 3.714mm.

Here is the source link: http://www.circusf1.com/2018/03/le-f1-2 ... 9-60mm.php

In Short:

W08 = 3,760 mm >>>>> +63mm >>>>> W09 = 3,823mm
SF70-H = ‎3,594 mm >>>>> +120mm >>>>> SF71-H = 3,714mm

Notice how W08 was still longer than this year SF71-H

Anyone can confirm?
Mercedes have claimed the wheelbase of the W09 is the same as the W08. In any event an increase of 63mm would be noticeable to the eye, especially considering how long the 2017 car was already.

cramr
6
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 am

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by cramr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 am

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 am
Maritimer wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:17 pm
What kind of velocity does the air coming out of the cooling exits have? Is there any advantage to having them exit over the diffuser like that? Other than simplicity.
The air will be hot and thus lower density than ambient. Although the airflow might be slower than that immediately around the openings, the temperature induced lower density might allow the same effect i.e. to reduce the pressure difference above and below the floor at the diffuser's exit. The diffuser's job is to bring the pressure of the air exiting from below the floor back to the same as the pressure around the car (ambient). By having fast air moving over the diffuser, you reduce the pressure differences between the flows above/below the floor and there is then less drag as the flows merge. Fast air is lower pressure, as is hot air. So having hot air means the same benefits as "fast air". The teams have to dump the hot air somewhere and doing it this way helps the aero performance. That's my entirely amateur "first guess". :oops:

Oh, and having hot air blow below the rear wing would give an enhanced pressure difference across the wing too - more downforce at a given speed. Although I doubt this effect is what they're chasing here.
The cooling flow is too slow and turbulent to be used for anything that's why the teams place the exit as far away from the diffuser and RW and rear brake ducts deflectors as possible because that flow is pretty much useless

Moose
126
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by Moose » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:05 pm

cramr wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 am
The cooling flow is too slow and turbulent to be used for anything that's why the teams place the exit as far away from the diffuser and RW and rear brake ducts deflectors as possible because that flow is pretty much useless
Yes and no - yes, the cooling flow is basically useless, no, the placement *does* matter. Its placement can determine how much suction the aerodynamics provide to help drive air through the car's interior, which can allow them to shrink radiators etc.

atanatizante
23
User avatar
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by atanatizante » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Are those 2 "lips" on the second layer of Gurney flaps new?
And in addition, that air coming out of the cooling exits could help that "beam wing"? (which in fact is a fairing for rear drive axle and the lower wishbone) ...

Image
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

joeyg02
1
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by joeyg02 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Blaze1 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:52 am
Kalsi wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 am
Sorry if this was posted before but...

CircusF1 claiming W09 not only retained it`s wheelbase, but it increased instead by another 63mm taking the mercedes to a whopping 3.823mm.
SF71-H on the other hand should be 120mm longer than it`s predecessor... taking the ferrari 2018 car to 3.714mm.

Here is the source link: http://www.circusf1.com/2018/03/le-f1-2 ... 9-60mm.php

In Short:

W08 = 3,760 mm >>>>> +63mm >>>>> W09 = 3,823mm
SF70-H = ‎3,594 mm >>>>> +120mm >>>>> SF71-H = 3,714mm

Notice how W08 was still longer than this year SF71-H

Anyone can confirm?
Mercedes have claimed the wheelbase of the W09 is the same as the W08. In any event an increase of 63mm would be noticeable to the eye, especially considering how long the 2017 car was already.
You're telling me that by pictures alone you could tell if the car was 2.5" longer? If so you need to be checked for superhuman ability. That's an inch shorter than the width of a business card.
For all F1 fans interested in joining the Formula One Fans GP Club:
Formula One Fans on FACEBOOK

Joey Griffin - Owner - J.G. Graphix. Moderator-Formula One Fans on Facebook
Lifelong F1 fan from Southern Georgia, United States.

Mattchu
27
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by Mattchu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:30 pm

atanatizante wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm
Are those 2 "lips" on the second layer of Gurney flaps new?
And in addition, that air coming out of the cooling exits could help that "beam wing"? (which in fact is a fairing for rear drive axle and the lower wishbone) ...

https://s17.postimg.org/vfw4k7mjz/2018- ... 0_-_F1.jpg
There not "lips". As you can see in the image below the top edge of the diffusor splits into 2 about 150mm into the horizontal plane, then 1 then 2 again. One [the lower inside] goes straight through to the other side while the top rises up and does the saw teeth bit behind 2 winglets [which look very upright] next to the rear crash structure..

Image

Just on the 2 upright winglets, they must come under some pretty huge force when going at high speed and pretty much just block the air [like putting your hand out of a car window]. Would Mercedes do this so the diffuser central section doesn`t have a downspill of turbulent air?

PhillipM
179
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by PhillipM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Well, one it only works because the crash structure is causing blockage at one side, two they should turn enough air to help link the diffuser/exhaust/rear wing flows, and yes, you would imagine with that sharp edge they'd send a pair of small counter-rotating vortices down the side of the crash structure which might help extract the diffuser before they converge.

I think that's probably secondary though and the main effect is just to turn the flow hard, especially given the sawtooth element below.

godlameroso
235
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by godlameroso » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 pm

PhillipM wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:22 pm
Well, one it only works because the crash structure is causing blockage at one side, two they should turn enough air to help link the diffuser/exhaust/rear wing flows, and yes, you would imagine with that sharp edge they'd send a pair of small counter-rotating vortices down the side of the crash structure which might help extract the diffuser before they converge.

I think that's probably secondary though and the main effect is just to turn the flow hard, especially given the sawtooth element below.
You're talking about the vortex generators or the jagged surface where the crash structure and diffuser meet?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Sevach
695
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by Sevach » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm

W08 Abu Dhabi vs W09 test spec.

Image

"L" elements being the big difference.

toraabe
11
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by toraabe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm


Sevach
695
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by Sevach » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Image

RZS10
98
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by RZS10 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:29 am

Kalsi wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 am
Sorry if this was posted before but...

CircusF1 claiming W09 not only retained it`s wheelbase, but it increased instead by another 63mm taking the mercedes to a whopping 3.823mm.
SF71-H on the other hand should be 120mm longer than it`s predecessor... taking the ferrari 2018 car to 3.714mm.

Here is the source link: http://www.circusf1.com/2018/03/le-f1-2 ... 9-60mm.php

In Short:

W08 = 3,760 mm >>>>> +63mm >>>>> W09 = 3,823mm
SF70-H = ‎3,594 mm >>>>> +120mm >>>>> SF71-H = 3,714mm

Notice how W08 was still longer than this year SF71-H

Anyone can confirm?
Google translated portions of it to
"From our photos , which we will show here only partially and in low resolution, we have calculated" ...

So they won't show the pics they've supposedly used to "calculate" their results and they won't show their methodology ... i just took the side view of the merc from the article and did the good old pixel/cm thing (which i think ignores the fact that the car is turning etc and i would never claim to be precise) ... probably just clickbait bs
Image

Or the other way round ... if those were actually 3.82m the wheels would have to be 76 pixels ... yet they're obviously bigger

Image

Funnily enough the official F1 site claimed the opposite - that the merc had gotten shorter ...

Sevach
695
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by Sevach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:59 am

Image

Image

zibby43
31
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by zibby43 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 am


ScrewCaptain27
368
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am

S-duct inlet has a very rough finish:
Image
Looks like the older version was cut out and an updated one was crudely bonded in.
Via @AlbertFabrega
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian