Honda Power Unit

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
No343NoLife

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by No343NoLife » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

Snorked wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 pm
Honda received an unexpected power boost: http://members.f1-life.net/report/64994/

Was this known prior to testing or was this boost noticed after anaylasing the testing data?
TR gave Honda extra space to redesign the exhaust manifold and as a result they gained 10Kw.

Source F1GP News(FujiTV)

ispano6

Post by ispano6 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 am

McMika98 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 pm
Snorked wrote:
Honda received an unexpected power boost: http://members.f1-life.net/report/64994/

Was this known prior to testing or was this boost noticed after analysing the testing data?
It would be marginal. Cant believe they are using the same engine as last year. That Ted guy is looking very smart now. He did say this in his rambles when every report was saying its got new innovations.
Anothe
Once again the preseason speculation and dreams were enthralling. With reality kicking in next week, eagerly waiting for 2019 speculation to begin.
I wouldn't be so absolute in your conviction with so much speculation as the basis of your conclusion. Especially when the season hasn't started! But being realistic and pragmatic will help keep your blood pressure down.

McMika98

Post by McMika98 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:47 am

ispano6 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 am

I wouldn't be so absolute in your conviction with so much speculation as the basis of your conclusion. Especially when the season hasn't started! But being realistic and pragmatic will help keep your blood pressure down.
Thanks for the consideration and my BP will be fine. My point was that i enjoy the speculation and lofty goals pre-season more than the actual race which more or less has been a dull affair for a few seasons unless one is a Mercedes fan. On topic the Honda preseason event had a good turnout as always and its clear they are concentrating on the second half of the season. No triple for Harltley this year.

ispano6

Post by ispano6 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 am

No343NoLife wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am
Snorked wrote:

Was this known prior to testing or was this boost noticed after anaylasing the testing data?
TR gave Honda extra space to redesign the exhaust manifold and as a result they gained 10Kw.

Source F1GP News(FujiTV)
Yes it was reported by Yoneya Mineoki-san that the extra space of the STR13 cowling and exhaust area intended for the Renault allowed Honda to revise their exhaust resulting in a 10Kw increase. He also mentioned some concern regarding race simulation pace -while on fresh tires their pace matches Renault but appear to be suffering more tire degradation possibly due to set up or driver skill. The early season strategy will be to let the front end of the midfield battle and suffer failures and stay close enough in the points paying positions to get bumped up after a few Renault DNFs.

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks good job translating that for us!

Can you guys get profile pictures please so i can recognise your posts better. It's like reading a continuous wall of text whithout connecting it to an author. Dont know if it's just me?

Wazari

Post by Wazari » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 pm

ispano6 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 am
No343NoLife wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am
Snorked wrote:

Source F1GP News(FujiTV)
Yes it was reported by Yoneya Mineoki-san that the extra space of the STR13 cowling and exhaust area intended for the Renault allowed Honda to revise their exhaust resulting in a 10Kw increase. He also mentioned some concern regarding race simulation pace -while on fresh tires their pace matches Renault but appear to be suffering more tire degradation possibly due to set up or driver skill. The early season strategy will be to let the front end of the midfield battle and suffer failures and stay close enough in the points paying positions to get bumped up after a few Renault DNFs.
The extra space did allow the exhaust to be revised but most of the gain was allowing the revising of the compressor to intake routing.
If you can make the opposition flinch, you have already won.

bigblue

Post by bigblue » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Wow. If 10kW is accurate, it's not insignificant, from a relatively minor (?) change. I mean, sure it's not massive, but it's not the single digit gains we sometimes hear about with various refinements. I wonder what the total bhp gain in Australia will be compared to the end of last year ?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:43 am

Uhmm guys this is going way Off Topic again. This is a technical Topic about the PU itself. Not what Teams may or may not Run it in the Future. HPD's Post has been moved to the Team Thread, some OT Posts have been deleted.

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm

last year it was estimated the HPD power unit was 40kw down at Abu Dhabi to the 2017 Mercedes. This new spec is probably 20kw closer.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm

We should see bigger and wider exhaust pipes on the engine.

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm
You mean the manifolds? Just routing and merging the runners can have a big influence on packaging with no change in pipe diameter.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Wazari

Post by Wazari » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:53 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm
You mean the manifolds? Just routing and merging the runners can have a big influence on packaging with no change in pipe diameter.
I think Mr. PZ wants to see three 15 cm exhaust tips like the "Ricky Racer" kid's Civics..... :lol:
If you can make the opposition flinch, you have already won.

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:24 pm

All the cool Honda kids do hood exit exhausts now. :lol: They also have no bumper, or bumper support, or a hood.

GhostF1

Post by GhostF1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 am

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:24 pm
All the cool Honda kids do hood exit exhausts now. :lol: They also have no bumper, or bumper support, or a hood.
Can confirm this is definitely the trend^^^ :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yd7gjcP8Xw

What a sight and sound that was.

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 am

Oh. I actually meant the overal size and width of the exhaust bundle not the individual pipes. Words just came out wrong back there.