2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bisonas

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st81nY9rpUY

Nice details of the Mclaren in this video.

zoroastar

marvin78 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:35
Andres125sx wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:52
Not specially interesting article, but I think this bit is:

(Sorry for my poor and free translation)
Alonso wrote:We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1
That´s after saying they perfectly know if they´re 10 miliseconds faster or slower at each corner, what are each team tire pressures, etc. so they perfectly know how they perform at each department

https://as.com/motor/2018/03/16/formula ... 00624.html

As an Alonso supporter, I can say Honda adventure made me assume Alonso would quit, and I was conviced about that, but at some point he decided to stay so to me this statement makes me understand the reason and makes me also more optimistic for the season :D

Why is that? Alonsos last decisions were not that good. So you cannot say: if Alonso says it's good and I continue, it will be good. He often was very wrong. There is no causation.
how is that? the fact that he left ferrari? his reasoning behind leaving ferrari were the fact that they could never give him a car that gave him a fair fight for a title bid. 2017 was the first year ferrari have even been close to a title winning car. he dragged ferrari to finish second 3 out of the five years he was there, with his teammate, each year, way behind him in the standings. alonso had every reason to leave for mclaren honda. at the time, nobody would have dreamed it would end up the way it did.

diffuser

Re: McLaren MCL33

Alonso Fan wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 13:06
techman wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:57
Not specially interesting article, but I think this bit is:

(Sorry for my poor and free translation)
Alonso wrote:
We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1
That´s after saying they perfectly know if they´re 10 miliseconds faster or slower at each corner, what are each team tire pressures, etc. so they perfectly know how they perform at each department

https://as.com/motor/2018/03/16/formula ... 00624.html

As an Alonso supporter, I can say Honda adventure made me assume Alonso would quit, and I was conviced about that, but at some point he decided to stay so to me this statement makes me understand the reason and makes me also more optimistic for the season :D
i would like to know what you think about the mclaren car, and where it would be in aus come qualifying?
Considering they have a big aero upgrade for Australia, it's hard to tell. But definitely right now what seems correct is that they are 4th or thereabouts with similar pace to Renault (which is still a vast improvement on last year)

However they do develop very well throughout the season. So it will be interesting seeing their progression for sure
Lots of low and medium speed corners in Australia. Aero doesn't play a large part. We'll find out how good the chassis is with regards to traction and braking. Depending on the temperature, cooling might be a test as it also tough on the PUs.

The straights are short so passing is difficult making qualifying key.

Monster Hesh

From what could be heard from the tweets that McLaren made of the MCL33 setting off, it never sounded smooth or controlled. They had alot of learning and map implementing of the Renault engine, especially wet mapping.

Wonder if the Honda engine enabled them to have supreme driveability out of corners and they they will really miss that aspect. Or if during winter testing they got enough data to gain the control of the Renault engine out of corners.

zeph

Monster Hesh wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 17:19
Wonder if the Honda engine enabled them to have supreme driveability out of corners and they they will really miss that aspect.
:wtf: Yeah, I don’t think so.

Monster Hesh

zeph wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 20:17
Monster Hesh wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 17:19
Wonder if the Honda engine enabled them to have supreme driveability out of corners and they they will really miss that aspect.
:wtf: Yeah, I don’t think so.
It was a "wonder". Care to enlighten me? As I would like to know if an under powered engine is easier on power deployment control, and they had great mapping to do so. Comparing to what you hear with the new Renault engine during testing and film days, where neither traction or power seemed controlled.

carisi2k

As for the weather in Melbourne. Victoria are having bushfires at the moment so don't expect it to be cold if you are coming to Melbourne. I'm in Sydney and we are still in the mid 30's Celsius.

ollandos

carisi2k wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 23:57
As for the weather in Melbourne. Victoria are having bushfires at the moment so don't expect it to be cold if you are coming to Melbourne. I'm in Sydney and we are still in the mid 30's Celsius.

for weekend 70% of rain from weather.com ...good news mclaren has most laps on wet in test if come true the wet race ..for me its high chance for podium :twisted: :twisted:

carisi2k

Surely you guys can't be blaming the Renault engine for Mclaren's issues. No hiding this year for Mclaren when they can be directly compared to Red Bull. If the Renault engine is reliable in the Renault and Red Bull then the size zero philosophy will be shown to be faulty. In any case when you have a look in the car comparison thread you can see that while the Mclaren is easily the shortest car on the grid. Many of the other cars and especially the RB14's sidepods are much narrower then the MCL33's. Even the STR13's are slimmer and more aerodynamic then the MCL33. Surely it is time for Mclaren to refine it's philosophy in regards to chassis design.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27033&p=749092#p749092

carisi2k

ollandos wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 00:09
carisi2k wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 23:57

for weekend 70% of rain from weather.com ...good news mclaren has most laps on wet in test if come true the wet race ..for me its high chance for podium :twisted: :twisted:
Try something more accurate. http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

70% just means it will rain at some time during the day. It doesn't mean it is going to be cold.

makecry

carisi2k wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 00:12
Surely you guys can't be blaming the Renault engine for Mclaren's issues. No hiding this year for Mclaren when they can be directly compared to Red Bull. If the Renault engine is reliable in the Renault and Red Bull then the size zero philosophy will be shown to be faulty. In any case when you have a look in the car comparison thread you can see that while the Mclaren is easily the shortest car on the grid. Many of the other cars and especially the RB14's sidepods are much narrower then the MCL33's. Even the STR13's are slimmer and more aerodynamic then the MCL33. Surely it is time for Mclaren to refine it's philosophy in regards to chassis design.

Time for some facts :

All three cars had issues. Mclaren had a bit more. We would have liked more but It's not the end of the world. I would wait till Spanish GP before we write McLaren off.

All three cars had battery issues. Renault attributed it to a bad batch of batteries and even said it had NO relationship to installation/packaging.

Turbo issue that stopped McLaren on last day could have been prevented had Renault not given the green signal to use that turbo. Abiteboul said it was a mistake on their part because it showed some irregularities on diagnostics the night before.

All three cars had various other issues. McLaren had teething problems, it's obvious that it would happen if a team takes aggressive approach unlike STR 13 which is extremely conservative.

STR13 is no where close to MCL33 in terms of packaging, that car has massive sidepods and huge opening in the back, you are talking out of your proverbial here.

PinkFloydPulse

carisi2k wrote:

Sorry to say it, even tough this is a forum where people can speak their minds openly, but perhaps you should think a bit before you speak. It has been said a million times why McLaren had issues, and they them-self said they will not be a match for Red Bull right from the start so ease of with the bashing even before the first laps have been driven.
Also regarding their philosophy, why aren't you working at McLaren if you have such vast knowledge by looking at comparison pics from the internet that are not proof in any way and cannot stand for any viable evidence? :)

If McLaren were not comfortable with their design philosophy they would have changed it by now, we are in no way suitable to say otherwise. They have terabytes of data we have pictures, and that's all we have... :)
So chill and enjoy the show!
Last edited by PinkFloydPulse on 18 Mar 2018, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Team Fernando!

ecodelta

Terra-bytes?

mclaren111

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 10:49
carisi2k wrote:

Sorry to say it, even tough this is a forum where people can speak their minds openly, but perhaps you should think a bit before you speak. It has been said a million times why McLaren had issues, and they them-self said they will not be a match for Red Bull right from the start so ease of with the bashing even before the first laps have been driven.
Also regarding their philosophy, why aren't you working at McLaren if you have such vast knowledge by looking at comparison pics from the internet that are not proof in any way and cannot stand for any viable evidence? :)

If McLaren were not comfortable with their design philosophy they would have changed it by now, we are in no way suitable to say otherwise. They have Terra bytes of data we have pictures, and that's all we have... :)
So chill and enjoy the show!

Well said !! =D>

PS. Love Pink Floyd !!

Andres125sx

carisi2k wrote:

So.... you´re bashing McLaren because of size zero philosophy, and two lines after you bash McLaren because even STR packaging is slimmer?? #-o #-o #-o

I know haters gonna hate, but this is too absurd man