General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wazari

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

rogazilla wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 21:09

Maybe Wazari-san texted him and said 'hey time to update your profile, people noticed'
8)
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

McMika98

Also please tell him to go aggresive with the engines and not stay on 4.0. We want to see TR charging ahead like a Bull.
Btw James Key mentioned on his layest interview that Honda engine have found better packaging option but that was too late to implement this year. The engine is pretty compact, any thoughts on how to improve on that?

McMika98

I wonder if Honda can now interchange each of the four PU components quickly as opposed to replacing the whole PU. Renault was able to change the turbo on the Mclaren during teating fairly quickly.

PlatinumZealot

McMika98 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 23:49
Also please tell him to go aggresive with the engines and not stay on 4.0. We want to see TR charging ahead like a Bull.
Btw James Key mentioned on his layest interview that Honda engine have found better packaging option but that was too late to implement this year. The engine is pretty compact, any thoughts on how to improve on that?
It's not the engine block itself but rather the auxiliaries mounted to it. Like where oil lines and water ports are, cables, colloer mounts and such. Routing of stuff on and around the block.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

carisi2k

McMika98 wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 22:24
About blown wings i posted few weeks back about a wierd dream where Honda experimented with thrust vectoring engine. Seeing the Renault concept i am convinced the final exhaust pipe could be made to swivel within the allowed parameters to not only blow to the wing but also away when not needed. There isnt a regulation to stop in the current regs for that.
yes there is. A vectored exhaust would most likely fall foul of the movable aerodynamic device rule.

PlatinumZealot

Been thinking one could put a T wing or a duck tail on the engine cover to create an upwash to push the exhaust under the rear wing? But meh.. If the upwash is strong enough to push the exhaust might as well just use it directly on the wing...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

foxmulder_ms

Trust vectoring in F1... Love to see that haha.

PhillipM

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 17:40
Been thinking one could put a T wing or a duck tail on the engine cover to create an upwash to push the exhaust under the rear wing? But meh.. If the upwash is strong enough to push the exhaust might as well just use it directly on the wing...
They already do that with the crash structure and last year, monkey seats (although, we're still seeing a few of those in various forms).
Driving the centre of the diffuser into the wing's upwash is more powerful than just blowing the wing generally.

bigblue

Charm offensive from STR / RBR continues ...

Helmut Marko :
"I am even learning a few Japanese words, especially so that we can have dinner together in the evenings
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38273.html

dren

bigblue wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 01:15
Charm offensive from STR / RBR continues ...

Helmut Marko :
"I am even learning a few Japanese words, especially so that we can have dinner together in the evenings
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38273.html
ganbare TR!
Honda!

Phil

McHonda wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 00:49
What I mean is I'm having a hard time imagining the following..

Honda-We can sort it all out by making it a few CM longer.
McLaren-No,. but we'll swap to a bigger PU anyway and lose 75m a year on top of that instead, but thanks for the offer.
I suppose in a healthy partnership, the dialog could be indeed that simple. The problem of McLaren and Honda are of more complex nature:

This is my take:

You have a chassis-aero team (McLaren) that wanted an exclusive-works-partnership with an engine manufacture, because they didn't want to fit in an PU designed for another car other than theirs. They wanted their own customized engine, designed exclusively for them and their car.

You have an engine manufacture (Honda) that came late to party, on the backfoot, competing against other manufacturers who started development of these highly complex engines years in advance. Not only that, but they also entered a working relationship with a team that had very specific demands on what they wanted.

Shared leadership. Who overseas the entire project? A car is always going to be tradeoff of sorts. You trade size, power, cooling requirements for aero performance. There is weight. There is reliability. Cooling. Give both parties carte-blanche and both end up with parts not designed for the other. The engine either compromises the aero or the aero compromises the engine.

On some level, Honda was the one re-entering F1. They didn't have current F1 experience and with McLaren having lots of it from 2014 when they were running the Mercedes unit, they probably had very specific design goals in regards to aero and chassis. On some level, I think it's also clear that McLaren were happy to trade off engine-performance by pursuing/imposing a size-zero concept that they were hoping to equal out or more with superior aero efficiency.

For a multitude of reasons, this never worked out. Honda realized that these engines are far more complex than anticipated. The performance wasn't there and the tightly built chassis wasn't helping reliability either. With the token system in place, they also struggled big time to make quick adjustments to their engine and solve the issues. I'd assume some of these issues carried over to 2016 and 2017.

At some point, Honda obviously wanted to make adjustments to the engine which would impact the aero and chassis of the car. Probably at that point, these alterations were not possible anymore without big changes to the design choices McLaren had already made. And of course with the problem of shared leadership, you have two parties pursuing different goals. McLaren wanted to make the best possible car and Honda the best possible engine. One of them had to concede to the others wishes. In an ideal working environment, you have one making that decision and both making trade-offs to fit the overall design goal. I suppose this just wasn't possible anymore for McLaren and Honda, with the history of failing and lack of communication and perhaps trust in each others ability. And Honda lacked their own experience with these highly complex performance units to know exactly what design roads to pursue for the best possible engine for these type of F1 regulations. They needed this experience just as much to grow from it and know from 1st hand where to invest and develop their engine.

Hence the working relationship that now exist with RedBull (Torro Rosso) is off to a great start. Torro Rosso probably have less of an aggressive approach, because they're already accustomed from fitting a customer engine. They effectively designed their car around the engine they are given. Changing to Honda gives both a new situation to deal with and can therefore be way more accommodating to each others wishes and limits.

My two cents.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

McHonda

Phil wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 17:51
McHonda wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 00:49
What I mean is I'm having a hard time imagining the following..

Honda-We can sort it all out by making it a few CM longer.
McLaren-No,. but we'll swap to a bigger PU anyway and lose 75m a year on top of that instead, but thanks for the offer.
I suppose in a healthy partnership, the dialog could be indeed that simple. The problem of McLaren and Honda are of more complex nature:

This is my take:

You have a chassis-aero team (McLaren) that wanted an exclusive-works-partnership with an engine manufacture, because they didn't want to fit in an PU designed for another car other than theirs. They wanted their own customized engine, designed exclusively for them and their car.

You have an engine manufacture (Honda) that came late to party, on the backfoot, competing against other manufacturers who started development of these highly complex engines years in advance. Not only that, but they also entered a working relationship with a team that had very specific demands on what they wanted.

Shared leadership. Who overseas the entire project? A car is always going to be tradeoff of sorts. You trade size, power, cooling requirements for aero performance. There is weight. There is reliability. Cooling. Give both parties carte-blanche and both end up with parts not designed for the other. The engine either compromises the aero or the aero compromises the engine.

On some level, Honda was the one re-entering F1. They didn't have current F1 experience and with McLaren having lots of it from 2014 when they were running the Mercedes unit, they probably had very specific design goals in regards to aero and chassis. On some level, I think it's also clear that McLaren were happy to trade off engine-performance by pursuing/imposing a size-zero concept that they were hoping to equal out or more with superior aero efficiency.

For a multitude of reasons, this never worked out. Honda realized that these engines are far more complex than anticipated. The performance wasn't there and the tightly built chassis wasn't helping reliability either. With the token system in place, they also struggled big time to make quick adjustments to their engine and solve the issues. I'd assume some of these issues carried over to 2016 and 2017.

At some point, Honda obviously wanted to make adjustments to the engine which would impact the aero and chassis of the car. Probably at that point, these alterations were not possible anymore without big changes to the design choices McLaren had already made. And of course with the problem of shared leadership, you have two parties pursuing different goals. McLaren wanted to make the best possible car and Honda the best possible engine. One of them had to concede to the others wishes. In an ideal working environment, you have one making that decision and both making trade-offs to fit the overall design goal. I suppose this just wasn't possible anymore for McLaren and Honda, with the history of failing and lack of communication and perhaps trust in each others ability. And Honda lacked their own experience with these highly complex performance units to know exactly what design roads to pursue for the best possible engine for these type of F1 regulations. They needed this experience just as much to grow from it and know from 1st hand where to invest and develop their engine.

Hence the working relationship that now exist with RedBull (Torro Rosso) is off to a great start. Torro Rosso probably have less of an aggressive approach, because they're already accustomed from fitting a customer engine. They effectively designed their car around the engine they are given. Changing to Honda gives both a new situation to deal with and can therefore be way more accommodating to each others wishes and limits.

My two cents.
But you'd still have to be having a leave of senses to throw away works support because you don't want to accommodate changes to the PU, and then go and change the PU anyway in the very same move. Why?

Your post makes sense. Refusing to accommodate Honda's changes, ditching them and changing the PU anyway, doesn't. On any level.

Especially after we know for a fact they "allowed" changes in both 2016 and a radical one in 2017 in an effort to find more performance from Honda.

Agree about STR being perfect for Honda, they don't need to try and build a winning chassis so there's no reason to put the type of constraints a big teams chassis department will put on an EM. That'll happen at Red Bull once Honda show their competitiveness but until then they're clearly calling the shots in this relationship which does help at this stage and it's going well, as it has since Monza.

Big Tea

And Honda did not have a Norbert Haug equivalent to patch things together
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rogazilla

McLaren do have the pressure or should I say Zak has pressure to put sponsors on the car. That may be the real reason where it is not about refusing to accommodate Honda's change but ditch them and has to change anyway.

Zak's personal interest and EB's personal interest?

GhostF1

There are definitely unstated reasons for the change and I'm willing to put money on the fact that one of the big problems was that McLaren's current team staff did not work particularly well with the Japanese.
That Grand Prix Driver series. The way one of the McLaren guys talks to the Honda engineer was disgraceful and disrespectful, talking to him like a baby slowly... I was so disheartened that McLaren, a team I've loved since I was a kid acted that way.

Piece by piece it became slowly more obvious they just didn't get along. I don't think "predicted 2018 engine performance" made them cancel the contract. I think just different ideologies and disagreements in chassis and PU design ruined it. That and the fact they are now saying 2018 will be a nothing year as they are learning with Renault, so it's not a quick fix.

Something does not add up with the scenario. Probably avoiding any potential racial allegations in the media by staying silent about their differences.
And you tell me Boullier isn't personally ecstatic about having a French supplier... Hmmm.