Quality of FOM coverage.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BeeSee
BeeSee

Quality of FOM coverage.

There are a few variables here which I want to add as a caveat to this statement, having recently moved house I now have a much better TV setup (Sky UHD as apposed to HD previously) and improved room acrostics for my audio setup (5.1). The FOM coverage seems to my eyes and ears as least, vastly improved! there seems to be a greater sense of speed to the cars and the sound is far more representative of what these hybrids actually sound like (I'll say Technical rather than good/bad) the only downside is the awful behind the shoulder camera angle as the HALO obscures most of the track!. be interested to hear what others think?.
PS. this is my first post.

Sieper

Re: Quality of FOM coverage.

Plus for you 👍 I am also pining for uhd coverage but we’ll have to wait over here.

I saw a lot of timing problems (times not updated correctly or at all), no tire compounds shown (but rather a team logo) and indeed the halo covering our field of view is a tragedy.

RZS10

And there was some random switching between cameras ... they wanted to show external track cams and an onboard and instead went with two halo covered onboards which weren't even in sync ...

BeeSee
BeeSee

I think the directing is a little messy but the sense of speed comes across on the broadcast now, something thats been missing for a few years now. have not noticed the timing issues - these were just my initial thoughts having watched the first 2 practices .

Ennis
Ennis

BeeSee wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 16:09
I think the directing is a little messy but the sense of speed comes across on the broadcast now, something thats been missing for a few years now. have not noticed the timing issues - these were just my initial thoughts having watched the first 2 practices .
Yeah, the sense of speed was lacking for a long time. I have zero idea how people who were paid to do this stuff couldn't realise that long, panning camera shots did nothing for anyone. That, at least, has been vastly improved.

BeeSee
BeeSee

I think they may have also narrowed the FoV on the roll hoop cam? glad to know it is not just my new set up making things appear better. Am very much looking forward to the rest of the weekend/season based on what i have seen so far. =D>

proteus

Problem of coverage is also the Halo. TV cam and sholder cams are practically useless now. They should have thought that trough, but aparently noone really bothered to think how to position the cameras with Halo in the way...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

bauc

proteus wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 17:12
Problem of coverage is also the Halo. TV cam and sholder cams are practically useless now. They should have thought that trough, but aparently noone really bothered to think how to position the cameras with Halo in the way...
This was mentioned so many times, but the stupid FIA did not want to adjust the rules for the on-board cameras as the rules state that this must be done before June 30th, and I don't think we had a 100% confirmation of the HALO at that moment. Now, they can ''fix'' it in time for 2019 but I doubt it will be much better. The best thing is to replace the HALO with the ''shield'' screen like we saw what is planned for the Indycar
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

dans79

bauc wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 17:53
This was mentioned so many times, but the stupid FIA did not want to adjust the rules for the on-board cameras as the rules state that this must be done before June 30th, and I don't think we had a 100% confirmation of the HALO at that moment. Now, they can ''fix'' it in time for 2019 but I doubt it will be much better. The best thing is to replace the HALO with the ''shield'' screen like we saw what is planned for the Indycar
The shield is even uglier, looks like someone plopped a cut-down motorcycle screen in-front of the driver. I'd prefer a full canopy.
197 104 103 7

Dashy902
Dashy902

I'll chime in with my own 2 cents as a Canadian who gets the Sky coverage:

Pros so far:
As others have mentioned, sense of speed is drastically improved
some graphics much simpler and easier to read (e.g. the new on track/off track one)
Halo has certain shots where it doesn't stick out so much, and those seem to be the ones used most often (Worst shot for it seems to be a head on, wide angle shot. Best seem to be the ones where it quickly flashes into then past the picture.)
T-Cam could be worse, IMO, as it still shows driver, steering wheel, wheels, and half of FW
New fonts look O.K.

Cons so far:
critical data missing (tire information of each driver)
some elements are too small to read properly (e.g. team logos next to the driver names)
shoulder cam is actually useless
that new F1 logo is still trash
Complete lack of onboard telemetry as far as I've seen

Overall, I'd say the changes aren't as bad as they could have been with a major rebranding like we had from Liberty. The cons that I've managed to spot so far in my viewing of the FP sessions can also mostly be easily fixed (with the exception of the logo).

GM7

After watching the FP1 and FP2 this morning I must say that I am a little bit frustrated by the quality of the FOM coverage and by the decisions made by the leaders of F1.

The introduction of the halo is a huge controversy among Formula 1 fans and I do not understand how the FOM could forget to change the position of the cameras ! Currently the shoulder cam is no longer usable and the T-cam is far from being optimized to highlight the halo ...

While we criticize the F1 for their too high weight, we end up with 3 cameras unusable ... While a single 360 ​​camera like in Indycar would do the work of all these cameras. In addition, positioning the T-cam in the center would help improve the aesthetics of the halo.

I really appreciate the new graphic interface but we do not know with which type of tire the driver has made his lap ...

I also enjoy the sound relayed by the new microphones, but why only half of the cars are equipped ?!? The onboard sound is different between Hamilton and Bottas's cars, it makes no sense !

We all know that the halo in its current form is temporary, we are talking about a new halo or an aeroscreen for 2021, in this case why moved the oil evacuation in the back of the cars ... it's another problem created in case of a test for an aeroscreen.

BeeSee
BeeSee

Dashy902 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 19:06
I'll chime in with my own 2 cents as a Canadian who gets the Sky coverage:

Pros so far:
As others have mentioned, sense of speed is drastically improved
some graphics much simpler and easier to read (e.g. the new on track/off track one)
Halo has certain shots where it doesn't stick out so much, and those seem to be the ones used most often (Worst shot for it seems to be a head on, wide angle shot. Best seem to be the ones where it quickly flashes into then past the picture.)
T-Cam could be worse, IMO, as it still shows driver, steering wheel, wheels, and half of FW
New fonts look O.K.

Cons so far:
critical data missing (tire information of each driver)
some elements are too small to read properly (e.g. team logos next to the driver names)
shoulder cam is actually useless
that new F1 logo is still trash
Complete lack of onboard telemetry as far as I've seen

Overall, I'd say the changes aren't as bad as they could have been with a major rebranding like we had from Liberty. The cons that I've managed to spot so far in my viewing of the FP sessions can also mostly be easily fixed (with the exception of the logo).
Agree with this summary, though I think there has been issues in the past with onscreen data.

BeeSee
BeeSee

GM7 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:16
After watching the FP1 and FP2 this morning I must say that I am a little bit frustrated by the quality of the FOM coverage and by the decisions made by the leaders of F1.

The introduction of the halo is a huge controversy among Formula 1 fans and I do not understand how the FOM could forget to change the position of the cameras ! Currently the shoulder cam is no longer usable and the T-cam is far from being optimized to highlight the halo ...

While we criticize the F1 for their too high weight, we end up with 3 cameras unusable ... While a single 360 ​​camera like in Indycar would do the work of all these cameras. In addition, positioning the T-cam in the center would help improve the aesthetics of the halo.

I really appreciate the new graphic interface but we do not know with which type of tire the driver has made his lap ...

I also enjoy the sound relayed by the new microphones, but why only half of the cars are equipped ?!? The onboard sound is different between Hamilton and Bottas's cars, it makes no sense !

We all know that the halo in its current form is temporary, we are talking about a new halo or an aeroscreen for 2021, in this case why moved the oil evacuation in the back of the cars ... it's another problem created in case of a test for an aeroscreen.
Yes, big oversight on the camera positions - I suppose the speed on show kind of makes up for those dodgy views. Perhaps the difference in engine note from the Merc's is due to running different engine modes?.

Sieper

Also, I think the graphic sizes are now designed for 65 inch and upwards screensize. I still have a 50 inch which was large for a tv when I bought it but my next screen will be a minimum of 65, rather a 77 so going for smaller graphics isn’t too weird of a decision, on langer screensizes these will be just fine.

zac510
zac510

I found some of the animations distracting - I would look away from the main point of action to look at the animation and then find the animated infographic was not useful for me (ie it was just the driver's name, which I already had worked out).

By all means show the infographic, but don't do it with an animation.