Quality of FOM coverage.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BeeSee
BeeSee

Re: Quality of FOM coverage.

Sieper wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 23:50
Also, I think the graphic sizes are now designed for 65 inch and upwards screensize. I still have a 50 inch which was large for a tv when I bought it but my next screen will be a minimum of 65, rather a 77 so going for smaller graphics isn’t too weird of a decision, on langer screensizes these will be just fine.
I have a 49" which seems to display ok, not sure if that's to do with viewing in UHD or not though

BeeSee
BeeSee

zac510 wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 00:01
I found some of the animations distracting - I would look away from the main point of action to look at the animation and then find the animated infographic was not useful for me (ie it was just the driver's name, which I already had worked out).

By all means show the infographic, but don't do it with an animation.
Think it is certainly clear which coverage of Motorsport Liberty has drawn inspiration from, in terms of style of graphics.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

From my hour watching the free practices so far, the new Graphical User Interface is too small for me, Last Years one was the best for a on screen GUI. As for the team markers against each driver, really??? The colours were enough for me last year.

I have one final complaint, has anyone herd the new zoom 'car passing' sound at certain points? The thing is distracting and poorly implemented.

Yes i know that they are trying to put their stamp and branding on the sport, but some things are best left alone, or just tweaked.

I am waiting on the new camera on the halo, however we are a year away from it, as i think it will be redesigned *again* for next year, lowered and that daft central collar deleted with two pillars each side of where the wing mirrors are attached right now, with the mirrors attached to them. The Halo is a interim and temporary solution, but the shoulder cam needs deleted, its useless now. The nose cams and T Cam is enough.

Ill give it a year of tweaks till i pass a proper judgement, however without proper and swift adjustments within 5 races, i reserve the right to pass a judgement quicker.

As for the App, that has many nice things added like the no spoilers thing addition. However, apart from a iTunes or AppStore purchase, you now need a F1 account to use it. I pay £20 a year and have still an additional registration? They have that wrong! At least they aint asking you to sign in with facebook these days... ...As id be screwed as i don't have one.

zac510
zac510

BeeSee wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 00:19
zac510 wrote:
I found some of the animations distracting - I would look away from the main point of action to look at the animation and then find the animated infographic was not useful for me (ie it was just the driver's name, which I already had worked out).

Think it is certainly clear which coverage of Motorsport Liberty has drawn inspiration from, in terms of style of graphics.
Is it Formula E? I haven't watched a lot of that. I thought the animations borrowed a lot from modern web design that is designed to catch your attention. However on TV we don't want our attention caught so much as just want information available if we need it.

However I'm comforted that Liberty showed last year that they're not afraid to say "that didn't work" and stop trying a new idea if it didn't really work out. Thus I'm happy that they're trying things, as long as they recognise when it doesn't work and fix it or change it back.

Sieper

BeeSee wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 00:17
Sieper wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 23:50
Also, I think the graphic sizes are now designed for 65 inch and upwards screensize. I still have a 50 inch which was large for a tv when I bought it but my next screen will be a minimum of 65, rather a 77 so going for smaller graphics isn’t too weird of a decision, on langer screensizes these will be just fine.
I have a 49" which seems to display ok, not sure if that's to do with viewing in UHD or not though
I sit almost 5 meter from the screen, I can just read it but comfortable it is not (on a 50 inch).

BeeSee
BeeSee

ESPImperium wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 00:26
From my hour watching the free practices so far, the new Graphical User Interface is too small for me, Last Years one was the best for a on screen GUI. As for the team markers against each driver, really??? The colours were enough for me last year.

I have one final complaint, has anyone herd the new zoom 'car passing' sound at certain points? The thing is distracting and poorly implemented.

Yes i know that they are trying to put their stamp and branding on the sport, but some things are best left alone, or just tweaked.

I am waiting on the new camera on the halo, however we are a year away from it, as i think it will be redesigned *again* for next year, lowered and that daft central collar deleted with two pillars each side of where the wing mirrors are attached right now, with the mirrors attached to them. The Halo is a interim and temporary solution, but the shoulder cam needs deleted, its useless now. The nose cams and T Cam is enough.

Ill give it a year of tweaks till i pass a proper judgement, however without proper and swift adjustments within 5 races, i reserve the right to pass a judgement quicker.

As for the App, that has many nice things added like the no spoilers thing addition. However, apart from a iTunes or AppStore purchase, you now need a F1 account to use it. I pay £20 a year and have still an additional registration? They have that wrong! At least they aint asking you to sign in with facebook these days... ...As id be screwed as i don't have one.
Yes that "zoom car passing" sound is awful!

BeeSee
BeeSee

zac510 wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 00:42
BeeSee wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 00:19
zac510 wrote:

Is it Formula E? I haven't watched a lot of that. I thought the animations borrowed a lot from modern web design that is designed to catch your attention. However on TV we don't want our attention caught so much as just want information available if we need it.

However I'm comforted that Liberty showed last year that they're not afraid to say "that didn't work" and stop trying a new idea if it didn't really work out. Thus I'm happy that they're trying things, as long as they recognise when it doesn't work and fix it or change it back.
Was thinking more about Amercian motorsport coverage. Sure we'll get used to the on screen displays soon enough - think so far Liberty have got the minority of tweaks right.

Sieper

BeeSee wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 01:19
ESPImperium wrote:

Yes that "zoom car passing" sound is awful!
They use that each and every time they cut to a different scene. Horrible. The sound has a post apocaliptic kind of ring to it for me, eerie. It reminds me of the soundscore of the book of eli.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ESPImperium wrote:

That'd be the attempt at attracting the USian market. If you're not USian, please ignore the sound effects. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

muramasa
muramasa

The new graphics is not good at all

- animation effect for the sake of animation, only distracting info digestion
- "designer font" makes it hard to comprehend the info
- highlighting the driver on the verge of elimination is totally pointless and just annoyance when the order keeps changing fast esp near checkered flag. Just put border and show laptime clearly will do.
- what's the point of hiding laptime quickly and only showing driver name (and team logo) when time info is all that matters in this sport?

overall typical "coolness just for the coolness sake" graphic.

Well at least I didnt hear that super annoying live/replay transition sound effect in qualifying at least..

rich1701
rich1701

the need to get rid of the annoying swooshing sound every time there is a transition. It’s intrusive and pointless. There are cars on the track making that sound anyway, only much better.

Sieper

They already did, the swooshing sound at cutscenes was gone today. They do listen!

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

I don't know if FOM have changed their track side cameras this year or are doing different camera movements but there is an awful amount of rolling shutter jello effect going on.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

I'll be happy enough if they get rid of the driver in danger / team logos and just show us the times and which tire a car is on.

adrianjordan

What's with the "Major Incident" graphic now when we have the Safety Car out??

Sick of things being dumbed down. F1 is a technical sport and I would imagine the vast vast majority of viewers can understand "Safety car" without the need to resort to phrases like "Major Incident"....

Doesn't help that I work for the emergency services and major incident have a very serious meaning to me....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️