2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
604gtir
604gtir

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 22:03
diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:29
makecry wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:04

What "massive" problems? THey had a relatively trouble free running apart from a minor hiccup in FP1. :?:
If anything, this confirms, they need one of those full chassis dynos. None of these problems would have occurred with one of those.
The point is, they've had more problems than anyone else. It's not like they are the only team to have to fit a new engine in their car this year. OK, so anybody can end up with a defective part, but McLaren has had (as far as we can tell) more problems than anyone else. Whose responsibility is that?
And Boullier's career: Some success when he first got into racing, then later a couple of years with Lotus when they had that bizarre exhaust system. Any other successes?
Something is wrong with this team. You just can't keep saying "next race, "next year", over and over.
Maybe there is such a thing as a curse and Alonso can't escape it. But if you don't believe that, then what do you fix?
testing aside,
mclaren in melbourne had the one exhaust issue which took a long time to fix, but then ran problem free till end of fp2.

what made them have more problems than anyone else in melbourne?
toro rosso sat in the garage for most of fp1 with an exhaust issue too
one of the hass sat in the garage with plenty of issues
williams broke down in fp2

i think people are just over reacting, exhaust issue fixed.. what other problems did mclaren have ?

mnbvcxy
mnbvcxy

604gtir wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
diffuser wrote:
If anything, this confirms, they need one of those full chassis dynos. None of these problems would have occurred with one of those.
The point is, they've had more problems than anyone else. It's not like they are the only team to have to fit a new engine in their car this year. OK, so anybody can end up with a defective part, but McLaren has had (as far as we can tell) more problems than anyone else. Whose responsibility is that?
And Boullier's career: Some success when he first got into racing, then later a couple of years with Lotus when they had that bizarre exhaust system. Any other successes?
Something is wrong with this team. You just can't keep saying "next race, "next year", over and over.
Maybe there is such a thing as a curse and Alonso can't escape it. But if you don't believe that, then what do you fix?
testing aside,
mclaren in melbourne had the one exhaust issue which took a long time to fix, but then ran problem free till end of fp2.

i think people are just over reacting, exhaust issue fixed.. what other problems did mclaren have ?
+1

Послато са SM-A500H уз помоћ Тапатока

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 21:52
Bisonas wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 16:42

But Vandoornes BSPD3 and BEST SPEED is almost identical with the RBs. They arrive on start finish line at same speed, and they have almost identical speed on the end of the straight. Only Alonso has the abnormality, that's why i was thinking if he was running more downforce for some reason on FP2.
Ahh ok i thought they were both slower at the end of the straight. In that case in concur, its odd. But i doubt its a wet setup.

I guess we will find out what is really happening in a few hours.
Alo spent alot of time in the garage(2-3 times) changing the setup of his car. He appeared to be getting faster but since he kept using the same tires he couldn't match the traction of the first time.

diffuser

604gtir wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 22:14
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
diffuser wrote:

testing aside,

Saw Mad Max's RBR undercarriage being glued to keep it together and lost time in FP2.

diffuser

makecry wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:58
diffuser wrote:
makecry wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:04

What "massive" problems? THey had a relatively trouble free running apart from a minor hiccup in FP1. :?:
Agreed. Apparently,Honda put in one last year at Sakura and McLaren had shipped a chassis there for testing. It's a very big investment though, Ferrari spent like $50-60mil IIRC on getting one.
You sure Honda did? I though STR used RBR'ngs

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

604gtir wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 22:14
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
diffuser wrote:

testing aside,

"Testing aside."
So maybe next year they could just skip the testing since it apparently isn't important.
Don't get me wrong: I am a McLaren fan, and an Alonso fan. I want them to be better.

makecry
makecry

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 23:16
makecry wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:58
diffuser wrote:

Agreed. Apparently,Honda put in one last year at Sakura and McLaren had shipped a chassis there for testing. It's a very big investment though, Ferrari spent like $50-60mil IIRC on getting one.
You sure Honda did? I though STR used RBR'ngs
Pretty sure. Honda got one from AVL. State of art rig. McLaren shipped a chassis to Sakura. They even mention shipping the chassis in the Amazon show. McLaren even had some staff in Sakura coz of it.

Dont wanna make this a Honda vs McLaren thread but sometimes I do feel that McLaren should have stuck with Honda coz of such reasons. The $100mil/yr and a full rig dyno helps a lot and They would have if last year was not such a --- fest but yea, it is what it is.

zoroastar
zoroastar

i can confirm that F1 on ESPN thoroughly sucks so far.

ollandos
ollandos

very good pace on inter from alonso ...10-11 laps stind and it was the faster ..look like on wet races can be up there ..battles for the win .....

diegolfca
diegolfca

McLaren keeps fighting with the same issue from winter tests. Literally.Image

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk

Redragon

P11 disapointed, looked like a mistake of strategy from the team. They are gonna need more than a change of engine if they want to be at Q3

makecry
makecry

Redragon wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 08:44
P11 disapointed, looked like a mistake of strategy from the team. They are gonna need more than a change of engine if they want to be at Q3

Probably went out at a wrong time. Pace was there but positioning and then ALO Made a mistake and lost like half a second in first sector itself. 1.23.0 seemed possible tbh. It's okay, race is tomorrow!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Redragon wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 08:44
Looked more like driver error, at least on Fernando's part. He had a horrible first sector. He didn't improve on his first run time.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Driver error, but TBH, Renault Hass and McL are very close and we should see fair amount of fight between them.

godlameroso

2.5 second gap to Mercedes, the gap to the front hasn't closed at all. Looks like McLaren made no improvement with the Renault power unit, and they're out 100 million.
Saishū kōnā