2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Raleigh

Re: 2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

Force India has had a lot of success in recent years by developing what is effectively the same car over multiple years, spending their money on extensive upgrades to a stable platform where rivals on the same budget come out with a new car every year.

So yeah, was working great till the Halo forced them to come up with 2 chassis in 2 years.

ScrewCaptain27

Team has only a month to find “vital funding”, according to Formulapassion.
(Article in Italian): https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 75541.html
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

santos

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 12:47
I would really love to know what Damon Hill have to say about this. Force India needs Money, and it was Williams who vetoed the prize Money advance.

ScrewCaptain27

santos wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 12:54
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
I would really love to know what Damon Hill have to say about this. Force India needs Money, and it was Williams who vetoed the prize Money advance.
He should just keep his mouth shut. One of the very last people who should talk, given he only drove for half a season for a customer team. Even Arrows had works engines.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

BloodLad91

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Seem like usual cashflow problem cause of late payments from FOM.I don't think it's major issue.

IamLegend

BloodLad91 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 15:41
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Seem like usual cashflow problem cause of late payments from FOM.I don't think it's major issue.

Same news from another source (English), I really don't understand how other teams can veto lifelines like payment advancement? This sort of impotence is what is making this sport lose it's spectator, but at the very least Force India has the integrity to pick talent instead of whoring out it's seat for a paid driver, Williams can go to hell and I have a suspicion they soon will the way things are headed!

http://en.f1i.com/news/298850-williams- ... india.html

Samraj_official

Very hopeful FI will turn things around!!!

bill shoe

IamLegend wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:49
BloodLad91 wrote:
...but at the very least Force India has the integrity to pick talent instead of whoring out it's seat for a paid driver, Williams can go to hell and I have a suspicion they soon will the way things are headed!
I also hope FI continues and thrives.

But look, in what world is it not a "major issue" to lack money to continue solvency over the coming year?

If Force India spent more money than they could afford to buy good on-track performance (via drivers, car development, whatever), then is that Williams' fault? I don't like pay drivers, but I do respect teams making careful decisions to preserve their own viability. If a team fails at this existential obligation, then all else is irrelevant.

Mr Brooksy

How many times in recent years has FI needed FOM to advance them cash? Off the top of my head... 3?

Seems FI has VJ running the financial Dept.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Samraj_official

Mr Brooksy wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 00:50
How many times in recent years has FI needed FOM to advance them cash? Off the top of my head... 3?

VJ is a bad business man, looked at how he turned his father's empire into bankruptcies,some one rather more efficient is running the team,hence “most affordable racing" team on grid status.

Sidhartha.techie

Samraj_official wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:57
Mr Brooksy wrote:

VJ is a bad business man, looked at how he turned his father's empire into bankruptcies,some one rather more efficient is running the team,hence “most affordable racing" team on grid status.
His father's business is doing fine, the Kingfisher Airlines is the main cause why he is in this condition.
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

IamLegend

bill shoe wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 22:47
IamLegend wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:49
BloodLad91 wrote:
...but at the very least Force India has the integrity to pick talent instead of whoring out it's seat for a paid driver, Williams can go to hell and I have a suspicion they soon will the way things are headed!
I also hope FI continues and thrives.

But look, in what world is it not a "major issue" to lack money to continue solvency over the coming year?

If Force India spent more money than they could afford to buy good on-track performance (via drivers, car development, whatever), then is that Williams' fault? I don't like pay drivers, but I do respect teams making careful decisions to preserve their own viability. If a team fails at this existential obligation, then all else is irrelevant.
To be relevant in a sport where there's no cap on spending, these things are common and it is one of the reasons the midfield teams are demanding a spending cap. What I don't understand again and let me rephrase is, what right does Williams have in interfering by stopping the administrator in advancing money that is owed to a team in the first place? It's not like they are giving away a part of Williams share, unfortunately some of these legacy teams have to find ways to stay competent by resorting to cheap shots like this, because they can't be competitive on the field.

You're from the US, you should know a lot of the American national sports seem to be in contention because of having spending caps something Liberty media should prudently work on.
Last edited by IamLegend on 30 Mar 2018, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

IamLegend

Samraj_official wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:57
Mr Brooksy wrote:

You got to love it when people don't know half the story but want to comment on things, alright what are you talking about? The business actually flourished under Vijay's control, it was the airline venture coupled with the bureaucratic redtape from the government of the day that grounded the airline which piled the debt, think of it like not paying off your mortgage and watching that interest + penalty build up. Also, there wasn't any bailout and there could've been in the interest of saving jobs and paying workers their due, but instead the politicians sought to make an example.

If there needs to be more proof of how an F1 team with such a small budget has stayed relevant, that's because of VJ's business acumen and if you don't think it's true, let's compare apples to apples. Virgin and Air Asia who's owners both owned F1 teams are nowhere in the sport today and not to mention didn't achieve anything in it when they were competing either.

NAPI10

Hope for retaining 4th is diminishing. Even if FI take next step with Spanish GP upgrades; bridging points gap will be tough with Mclr, Renault & Haas. There will be 8 cars fighting for coveted 4 spots in top 10.FI will end-up fighting for 7th & 8th championship position.
All Mercedes engine team are struggling. Merc mfg team is losing grip on top spot.FI & Williams r no more dominating mid-field. Is it just a coincidence?

IamLegend

NAPI10 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:53
Hope for retaining 4th is diminishing. Even if FI take next step with Spanish GP upgrades; bridging points gap will be tough with Mclr, Renault & Haas. There will be 8 cars fighting for coveted 4 spots in top 10.FI will end-up fighting for 7th & 8th championship position.
All Mercedes engine team are struggling. Merc mfg team is losing grip on top spot.FI & Williams r no more dominating mid-field. Is it just a coincidence?
Now let's assume 4th place is lost for the year even though some people will call it pessimistic to say so (only 2 races so far, 18 to go), so what? It's not set it stone, there's always next season.

Edit Thunder: be nice to each other ;)