Toro Rosso STR13 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Toro Rosso STR13 Honda

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Owen.C93

Belleville spring and a separate damper. Not often you see that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Marti_EF3

Owen.C93 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 22:44
And what advantages have this system?? I've never seen it before

Big Tea

Is that damper 'hefty' enough to be the main? It looks to light to be on a motorcycle?
Is it possible it has some other job such as smoothing or anti-chatter?

(you may have noticed, I do not know much about F1 suspension :D )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM

Yes, size and weight are king when it comes to single seaters, it's why you often saw monoshock setups on lower formula cars and why damper engineers and the mechanical chassis side are all bald from pulling their hair out. ;)

Bisonas

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-tec ... ars.html/6

Other pages of the article involving others cars are interesting also.

Just_a_fan

Owen.C93 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 22:44
I know the team used them back when they were called Minardi...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dren

Since I'm not hugely familiar with washer springs, I did a quick wiki search:
wikipedia wrote:Disc springs has a number of advantageous properties compared to other types of springs:

Very large loads can be supported with a small installation space,
Due to the nearly unlimited number of possible combinations of individual disc springs, the characteristic curve and the column length can be further varied within additional limits,
High service life under dynamic load if the spring is properly dimensioned,
Provided the permissible stress is not exceeded, no impermissible relaxation occurs,
With suitable arrangement, a large damping (high hysteresis) effect may be achieved,
Because the springs are of an annular shape, force transmission is absolutely concentric.
Honda!

bigblue

What are the gold parts on the steering wheel made of ? Seems an unusual colour. Is it anodised ?

ScrewCaptain27

bigblue wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 09:16
What are the gold parts on the steering wheel made of ? Seems an unusual colour. Is it anodised ?
Usually machined anodised aluminium.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ispano6

Perhaps this might be a 2019 topic for STR14 but I was curious if whether STR Honda had considered changing their brake system from Brembo to Akebono. It seemed McLaren had an advantage under braking and I wondered how much the partnership was made possible with Honda being in the picture. STR probably prefers to stay with Brembo but Honda might suggest trying out Akebono. I don't have any data to show if one is better than the other or how many different brake system providers there are in F1.

Big Tea

ispano6 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 05:16
Perhaps this might be a 2019 topic for STR14 but I was curious if whether STR Honda had considered changing their brake system from Brembo to Akebono. It seemed McLaren had an advantage under braking and I wondered how much the partnership was made possible with Honda being in the picture. STR probably prefers to stay with Brembo but Honda might suggest trying out Akebono. I don't have any data to show if one is better than the other or how many different brake system providers there are in F1.
With the limited testing available now, would it be worth the investment in time and tec to 'just test' something?
If there was a known advantage in moving to another manufacturer it could be worth while, but for a possible advantage is it worth the investment?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

McLaren has ran Akebono brakes for a very long time as they have been technical partners long before they paired up with Honda. That both Honda and Akebono are Japanese is purely coincidental.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

Big Tea wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 19:04
ispano6 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 05:16
With the limited testing available now, would it be worth the investment in time and tec to 'just test' something?
If there was a known advantage in moving to another manufacturer it could be worth while, but for a possible advantage is it worth the investment?
If there is braking performance to be gained absolutely. It seemed to me, in terms of Formula 1 teams, an exclusive partnership for Akebono and McLaren. Haas had brake issues and appeared to have trialed different solutions. Could Haas' performance improvement be partially attributed to better braking and tire temperature control?