2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Stoner was legendary! What he did on a ducati, no one has managed since. Comparisons to Rosberg is disgusting guys! Casey was an Alien 100%! Rosberg won a title with a big chunk of luck. Casey smashed the field in his first title. His team mate was Capirossi who finished down in something like 8th.

Casey was unbelievable on a bike. He retired way too young (26?) , yes. Rossi feared Stoner, and there are not many people Rossi has ever feared. Casey also had a few mystery illnesses which took doctors a long time to diagnose which cost him a lot of races and was racing ill.

As for MM being Stoners protégé, definitely. Stoner was at Honda for years after Marquez joined. And speaking of Stoner staying on, i remember when he tested he regularly had equal pace to the current honda riders, despite not being on the bike that much.

If Stoner were comparable to an F1 driver, it would be Alonso (if Alonso won the title for Ferrari)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 00:17
Stoner was legendary! What he did on a ducati, no one has managed since. Comparisons to Rosberg is disgusting guys! Casey was an Alien 100%! Rosberg won a title with a big chunk of luck. Casey smashed the field in his first title. His team mate was Capirossi who finished down in something like 8th.
It was more like what Vettel did in 2011 and 2013, which drew Senna like comparisons. It was just one year in Ducati, out of 4 years that he drove for them! If he was that great, he should have won every single season in that Ducati! Did he? No, it was 1st, 2nd, 4th and 4th and he left to Honda who had a better bike. Just like in 2007, he won in his first year and then finished 3rd.

I would actually go the extent to say, when the bike was developed by someone else, he won the championships and when he himself contributed to bike development, he never won!!! Is that co-incidence, twice at two different teams? If not for MM, Honda wouldn't be winning anything from 2013 onwards while Stoner was developing the bike for them.
NathanOlder wrote:
As for MM being Stoners protégé, definitely. Stoner was at Honda for years after Marquez joined. And speaking of Stoner staying on, i remember when he tested he regularly had equal pace to the current honda riders, despite not being on the bike that much.
Can you post the numbers related to the lap times? I cant' find any.

Sorry Nathan, if the following is what the relationship is, then certainly the relationship is ill conceived.

Stoner: “Marquez felt threatened”, Marquez: “Stoner only says these things for publicity”
https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... ened-by-me
"It's not the same," he told Motosprint when asked how the Ducati role would compare to his Honda position.

"At Honda I was just an occasional tester, I did not have any other role and, to tell you the truth, they never took full advantage of my potential.
Unlike Stoner, MM develops his own bike and is winning the championships!

johnny comelately

GPR-A wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:20
NathanOlder wrote:
It was more like what Vettel did in 2011 and 2013, which drew Senna like comparisons. It was just one year in Ducati, out of 4 years that he drove for them! If he was that great, he should have won every single season in that Ducati! Did he? No, it was 1st, 2nd, 4th and 4th and he left to Honda who had a better bike. Just like in 2007, he won in his first year and then finished 3rd.

I would actually go the extent to say, when the bike was developed by someone else, he won the championships and when he himself contributed to bike development, he never won!!! Is that co-incidence, twice at two different teams? If not for MM, Honda wouldn't be winning anything from 2013 onwards while Stoner was developing the bike for them.
NathanOlder wrote:

Sorry Nathan, if the following is what the relationship is, then certainly the relationship is ill conceived.

Stoner: “Marquez felt threatened”, Marquez: “Stoner only says these things for publicity”
"It's not the same," he told Motosprint when asked how the Ducati role would compare to his Honda position.

"At Honda I was just an occasional tester, I did not have any other role and, to tell you the truth, they never took full advantage of my potential.
Mate, you need to let it go, you are just plain wrong, sorry.

GPR-A duplicate2

johnny comelately wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:27
GPR-A wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

NathanOlder wrote:

If you could objectively prove me wrong, not be biased by pure emotions towards a rider, I would accept your response. But I see that, you want everyone to accept your feelings, without substantiating anything.

johnny comelately

GPR-A wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:31
johnny comelately wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 01:27
GPR-A wrote:

If you could objectively prove me wrong, not be biased by pure emotions towards a rider, I would accept your response. But I see that, you want everyone to accept your feelings, without substantiating anything.
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree then.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
If Stoner were comparable to an F1 driver, it would be Alonso (if Alonso won the title for Ferrari)
Sorry but no way. Alonso is still racing with 36, and even looking for new categories to race, while Stoner retired a decade younger. Those two minds can barely be compared

He was a great talent, I agree, but I also agree with his comparison with Kimi, another great talent with not so big passion, who need the machine to work as he like it to work to succed or he will be lost in the field

To me the difference between the greats and the rest is consistency, they´re always there, but Stoner wasn´t

And sorry but that Stoner-Marquez connection is ridiculous... two tests of the official bike make a connection between Casey and current HRC top rider? Be serious please

johnny comelately

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 08:46
NathanOlder wrote:
Sorry but no way. Alonso is still racing with 36, and even looking for new categories to race, while Stoner retired a decade younger. Those two minds can barely be compared

He was a great talent, I agree, but I also agree with his comparison with Kimi, another great talent with not so big passion, who need the machine to work as he like it to work to succed or he will be lost in the field

To me the difference between the greats and the rest is consistency, they´re always there, but Stoner wasn´t

And sorry but that Stoner-Marquez connection is ridiculous... two tests of the official bike make a connection between Casey and current HRC top rider? Be serious please
Andre the Adversary :wink:
How do you think you know what goes on behind the scenes?
Do you rely on what is in the public domain only, or are you privy to other information?
I am always serious with adversaries.

J.A.W.

Here's how Casey Stoner's Moto GP peers viewed his riding talent..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UsfFQlokiw

Casey, at the time of 'calling it a day' - went on the record - stating that the 'dumbing down'
of riding skill level due to the power cap & comprehensive 4T electronics suite - spoilt the racing,
& his only regret was that he'd missed out on racing the real-ripper 500 2T's..

Compare Casey's start/win stats with Ducati to the Spanish riders who've tried..
- let alone former champs - like Rossi/Hayden/Lorenzo..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

johnny comelately wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 09:12
Andres125sx wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 08:46
NathanOlder wrote:

Andre the Adversary :wink:
How do you think you know what goes on behind the scenes?
Do you rely on what is in the public domain only, or are you privy to other information?
I rely on reliable info, not on rumours, so when someone ask for sources to prove a rumour and the reply he gets is you cannot peove me wrong... then I cannot get that as reliable info but fanboyism toward a rider :wink:

NathanOlder

Casey was able to get results on a ducati that no rider has been able to since. Thats a fact. Rossi Lorenzo Nicky Cal CrazyJoe all failed.
Winning a title on the Honda is always something that is expected, Marquez hasn't done anything unexpected yet. Rossi had to move away to better himself and prove 'its just the bike'

As for retirement, your saying he's not as good because he retired too early is laughable. It takes nothing away from someones talent. We're not comparing records here, just skills. If it were records then Marquez is not as good as Rossi, but we all know Marquez is currently better than Rossi. Also JL is one of the best but at the moment he's a pile of crap, just another looney unable to ride a Ducati.

You guys really underestimate Casey for what ever reason. Fact is He done something none of the current riders could do. Ask yourself, how many world championships have Ducati won. Then look at how big the list of Honda champions is. Win it on a honda? Bit deal.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

GPR-A duplicate2

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 14:12
Casey was able to get results on a ducati that no rider has been able to since.
Including himself, from 2008-2010.
NathanOlder wrote:
Winning a title on the Honda is always something that is expected, Marquez hasn't done anything unexpected yet.
Correct. Including lapping an entire field, as he did in the last race of Argentina, while his team mate consistently finishes outside of top 5. :)
2015 Chassis was probably the worst they started the season with and MM had unprecedented crashes, which put him quite far behind in title fight. But he came back in second half and denied a title to Rossi, by rear gunning Lorenzo, after what happened in Malaysia.
In 2016, Yamaha was the fastest bike, unless it is forgotten. MM had dislocated his shoulder in Austria in practice that year. He still won the championship.
NathanOlder wrote:
As for retirement, your saying he's not as good because he retired too early is laughable. It takes nothing away from someones talent. We're not comparing records here, just skills. If it were records then Marquez is not as good as Rossi, but we all know Marquez is currently better than Rossi. Also JL is one of the best but at the moment he's a pile of crap, just another looney unable to ride a Ducati.
How do you measure someone's talent? For example. Fangio won everything that he participated in, almost every car he drove. Senna won everything that he participated in (including junior categories). So did Schumacher. Rossi did. Vettel did. Hamilton did. MM is doing it. You get in day in, day out and you win with every equipment you possess. To me, that is the evidence to the talent a man possess. Correct? Now compare that to 12 years of Stoner, including junior years.
NathanOlder wrote:
You guys really underestimate Casey for what ever reason. Fact is He done something none of the current riders could do. Ask yourself, how many world championships have Ducati won. Then look at how big the list of Honda champions is. Win it on a honda? Bit deal.
To me, it's like Button's 2009 BrawnGP year. They couldn't repeat it either, despite Mercedes taking over, until the regulations changed and played into their bet. I have no doubt if MM is riding that Ducati today, or even last year's, he would be winning the titles.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
As for retirement, your saying he's not as good because he retired too early is laughable.
Probably that´s the reason I never said that :P Maybe I didn´t express it correctly, with mind I meant mentality

I meant someone who retired at the age of 26 obviously has a completely different mentality to someone who is looking for new challenges when he´s 10 years older. It was just to explain the reason I don´t think his comparison with Alonso is correct, his mentality is much closer to Kimi IMHO

Also, I said he was a great talent, not sure how can you consider that underrating Casey

NathanOlder

GPR-A wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 15:00
Correct. Including lapping an entire field, as he did in the last race of Argentina, while his team mate consistently finishes outside of top 5. :)
I think the argument has just died, Well your argument...... Cal won the last race in Argentina and MM was showing how much of a dick he can be, and the year before Maverick done the business :-$ :-$

As for Dani, should have been taken out the back of the garage and shot about 5 years ago! Give the bike to someone who will give it a go without breaking a bone every 5 mins.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

strad

Damn the constant bickering gets old.
To me it sounds like favoritism on all sides.
Move on, Your not going to change each others minds by shouting a each other. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

etusch

strad wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 00:28
Your not going to change each others minds by shouting a each other. :roll:
History of humanity in just one sentence