2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Redragon

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

PhillipM wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 14:37
Lets see how that 'really aggressive cooling' Mclaren has on the Renault pans out shall we:

http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... 047300.jpg

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -mcl32.jpg

Oh, dear, whoops.
It's even larger than it was with the Honda in for an engine that should require less cooling - it should have been even smaller around the radiators than the Honda even for the same cooling level, instead it's even bigger! It's positively huge halfway down the sidepods, even the engine cover is bigger!
It's, almost like they might have gone conservative on the cooling and packaging to start with....strange that. Who would have thought.
I am sorry but your pictures can't be compare are different angles and the photo lenses are completely different, one is a wider lens that will make the body wider and the other one is not. Not saying you are wrong that it might be bigger the cooling this year but your example doesn't support it.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's a pity there aren't 960 other images on a technical forum somewhere also showing the same thing then.

Alonso Fan

techman wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 13:35
For someone with a handle like 'techman' you're not very up on actually looking at the technical side of things...
well mate, its not me who is making up the whether the renaults radiators are small or not. it eric himself is saying renault radiator are smaller than H and good for aero, there engineers know better than both of us. it pretty obvious mclaren went very agressively on cooling due to this. very small intake compared to TR for example.

i mentioned this Mclaren drag few times last year and i was told i was trolling. I wasnt trolling because everything thing i said about mclaren has now come true. They themselves saying there is drag. it good in a way that they are with renault there problems are getting hightlighted and there is no more hiding.
You may or may not have been right about a drag issue last year but the way you came across and harped on and on and on about it despite the obvious drawbacks of the Honda engine last year is why people on here including me say you were trolling. You made it out to be the one and only issue and made your posts sound as if there was no issue with the engine and mclaren was 100% to blame. So yes in that respect you were trolling.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

techman
techman

You may or may not have been right about a drag issue last year but the way you came across and harped on and on and on about it despite the obvious drawbacks of the Honda engine last year is why people on here including me say you were trolling. You made it out to be the one and only issue and made your posts sound as if there was no issue with the engine and mclaren was 100% to blame. So yes in that respect you were trolling.
no i never said mclaren are 100 percent to blame. both honda and mclaren were equally to blame for their performance last year. i never quote anywhere where i blame everything on mclaren fault.

Nuvolari

OK I tried to see if the sidepods are bigger. I have overlaid the MCL32 over the MCL33 and drawn a green line to show the MCL32 sidepods/coke bottle. What do you guys think?

Tried to match up the rear of both cars, could be rubbish! :oops:

It's the launch photos, so may be not that informative.

Thunder

Even if one is to get Photos from exactly the same Angle with exactly the same Lens, we're still talking about different Cars with different PU's. Quite a fruitless discussion, i would advise not to take it much further. ;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RonDennis
RonDennis

McLaren designer Matt Morris confirms: “We had to redesign the clutch and the gearbox.”

The cooling and radiator requirements are also completely different, with Morris admitting that McLaren will simply rely on Renault’s recommendations for the first year.

“Only with more experience does it make sense to develop something of our own,” he said.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 09:43
Andres125sx wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 09:10
zeph wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 18:33
Can any of our Spanish-speaking friends here help translate this? Supposedly says Alonso will be replaced by Norris at the end of the season.

https://www.diariogol.com/motor/fernand ... 3_102.html

Google translate not nailing this. Is it just clickbait or what?
From that link...
El piloto asturiano, igual que ocurriera en Mercedes y Ferrari, habrá trabajado incansablemente para devolver a una escudería por la senda de la victoria y tendrá que ver como otros recogen las mieles del éxito.
I must have missed that period when Alonso worked for Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can see how reliable is diariogol when they don´t even know the teams Alonso has worked for #-o
2007 ;-) (Mercedes owned/had the majority stake of McLaren back then)

In my book McLaren/Mercedes is McLaren team, powered by Mercedes engine, wich is completely different to Mercedes team wich is what the article said.

adrianjordan

I used to enjoy this thread. Now it's descended into a spate of nonsense claims about who said what and just goes round and round in circles....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle
Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:26
Jolle wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 09:43
Andres125sx wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 09:10

From that link...

I must have missed that period when Alonso worked for Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can see how reliable is diariogol when they don´t even know the teams Alonso has worked for #-o
2007 ;-) (Mercedes owned/had the majority stake of McLaren back then)

In my book McLaren/Mercedes is McLaren team, powered by Mercedes engine, wich is completely different to Mercedes team wich is what the article said.
In 2007 Mclaren was part of Daimler, Alonso’s pay check probably said “Mercedes Benz”. After spygate Daimler sold it shares and bought Brawn. A lot of former Mercedes-McLaren personnel and drivers switched when their contracts expired.

Thunder

Ok, as stated above, quit the Discussion about how aggressive the Cooling package is based on wildly different Pictures of different Cars with different PU's. Posts have been deleted.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Lucky
Lucky

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I didn't see that coming.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

johnny vee

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43904342

Timm Goss removed as Chief Technical Officer...
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

diffuser

I wonder if that means don't expect much from the Spain upgrades ?