Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 09:18
To be honest, I don't see the point of that. The only "raked design" I've seen is on Red Bull's front wing foot plate, but only from last year, it was just as any other before that.
The whole car including rear wing, front wing, sidepods, are designed with the reference plane at a certain rake angle in mind since that is the intended 0 angle of attack.

Vanja #66

mantikos wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:17
Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 09:18
To be honest, I don't see the point of that. The only "raked design" I've seen is on Red Bull's front wing foot plate, but only from last year, it was just as any other before that.
The whole car including rear wing, front wing, sidepods, are designed with the reference plane at a certain rake angle in mind since that is the intended 0 angle of attack.
The way PZ explained it, I understood he meant you'd put your wings and other bits at lower AoA to counter rake angle and to further design them for that angle. These cars run lower rake when they are filled with fuel, so you can't make your aero work only at a specific angle (not that there aren't other equally important reasons not to do it), you make it work in a range of angles.

So, from that one bit of aero perspective, you can design a car to work in a larger range of rake angles and gradually increase it during the season. Suspension is not my strong side and I can't say I have the right idea how hard it would be to make suspension work in a rear ride height range that big.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PhillipM

It's not as easy as that, a diffuser that gives more performance at higher ride heights will stall if you're using it on a car with a lower ride height at the start of a season, for example, sidepod and engine bodywork will start to generate more drag unless you alter the angle it drops away at - which then means repackaging things lower to the floor and wider with less undercut (see Red Bull, for example)

Vanja #66

The entire car makes more drag at higher rake angles, not just side pods. Everything you mentioned can be designed to work in a bigger range, but at the cost of ultimate performance, as you said. You can design it vice versa as well. The core of the car can also be designed to be able to work with slightly different major components (front wing, diffuser are probably most important) and with tweaked barge boards, so that you can make your B-spec work batter at larger rake angle.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

zibby43

The "spoon" rear wing, which was tested briefly in China, will make its proper debut this weekend.

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 7216531456[/media]

Morteza

Yes, it's also tapered
From China FP
Last edited by Morteza on 26 Apr 2018, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

That second wing is actually from the W06.

You can tell from the height, shape, paint scheme, and the monkey seat visible (which is now banned). :D

Morteza

zibby43 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 11:05
That second wing is actually from the W06.

You can tell from the height, shape, paint scheme, and the monkey seat visible (which is now banned). :D
That's what lack of sleep does to you :mrgreen: I corrected it.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

Morteza wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 11:06
That's what lack of sleep does to you :mrgreen: I corrected it.
Been there my friend. Actually up with a 101.8 degree (F) fever myself. Not the way I wanted to kick off the GP weekend. #-o

Interesting shot here:

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0948298752[/media]

MtthsMlw

Nice shot from the back of the 'cape'.

ClarkBT11

Were the Cape meets the nose has changed it used to be square is this new for Baku?

MtthsMlw

ClarkBT11 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 19:56
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HiqUTlg.jpg
Were the Cape meets the nose has changed it used to be square is this new for Baku?
It was already changed in Bahrain I think.

Morteza

ClarkBT11