TERS : Thermal Energy Recovery System

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Muulka

Re: TERS : Thermal Energy Recovery System

Post by Muulka » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierce89

Post by Pierce89 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:38 am

Juzh wrote:Someone school me on this topic please:

is it not true (or was) teams bypass the turbine entirely in qualifying by opening the wastegates and running turbo solely off of mgu-h, thus reducing pack pressure and gaining a bit of power? There was talk about this in past numerous times and we even had newey talking on the issue sometime before the season started about sound perhaps being louder in qualifying when people run open wastegates.

Or am I just not getting it :?:
That's the going theory. In quali rather than a turbo v6, its an electrically supercharged v6.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

stevesingo

Post by stevesingo » Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 am

It is probably not a binary as waste gate open all the time in qualifying. I expect it is torque demand and fuel flow related.

At <100% pedal torque demand the ECU will deliver the max fuel allowed for the engine speed with perhaps less than ideal ignition timing to increase exhaust gas mass flow and temperature. During this phase, the waste gate will remain closed and MGU-H can harvest. The closer to 100% pedal torque demand the more optimal the fuel and ignition will become and the waste gate can be opened.

Tommy Cookers

Post by Tommy Cookers » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am

H harvesting from expansion (but not from blowdown ?) doesn't vary with boost ie massflow .... but ...

if massflow is not increased exhaust temperature will increase - raising turbine expansion efficiency/work and H harvest ?

iichel

Post by iichel » Mon May 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Why not keep optimal timing and combustion and simply harvest from the K?

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon May 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Because the K can only harvest 2MJ per lap. The H has to harvest the rest. Although they can send energy to the ES via the K->H route. You're ultimately right though, it's better to make the most power as possible in all circumstances because it opens up more ERS strategies.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

gruntguru

Post by gruntguru » Tue May 29, 2018 6:23 am

. . . and it is much more efficient. Throwing away crankshaft work to generate additional exhaust heat doesn't reap equivalent work at the MGUH.
je suis charlie

henry

Post by henry » Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am

gruntguru wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:23 am
. . . and it is much more efficient. Throwing away crankshaft work to generate additional exhaust heat doesn't reap equivalent work at the MGUH.
Depends on your definition of efficiency. In an energy restricted formula Lap time efficiency requires you to deploy as much energy as you can at as low a speed as you can.

I think this will also apply even without an MGU-H. If more electrical power is available there will be an even greater emphasis on traction.

A sensible defensive ploy will be to let an opponent get close on corner entry and deploy full power on corner exit. The opponent will have compromised traction and the need not to run into you so will lose time. Rinse and repeat around the circuit.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.