Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
wesley123
203
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by wesley123 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am

roon wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 pm
The "brake ducts" are festooned with winglets that do not directly aid the cooling of the brakes. Yet they remain. So why not winglets on a mirror, which do not directly aid the redirecting of photons.
Because they are in the legality box of the brakes. The winglet however abuses a clarification the FIA made allowing mirrors on the halo.
In a pinch Ferrari mightcould argue that the fins are an aero stabilizer for the mirror, an air-anchor, an aero-stay, if you will.
Definitely not, First of all, they haven't ran such a thing before. This alone would imply that they are very much capable of making structurally sound mirror mounts, making such a thing unnecessary.

Second of all, aerodynamic load changes with speed, which would thus mean it's rigidity increases with speed.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zioture
351
User avatar
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am
Location: Italy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by zioture » Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Blistering comparison Image

Morteza
1084
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by Morteza » Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mantikos
23
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by mantikos » Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

zioture wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Blistering comparison https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdT3qsqX4AAngej.jpg
1. You don't know how many laps each tire had done
2. The Mercs were doing repeated burnouts during pre-season testing to further highlight the damage, this was widely reported and tweeted about and commented on by Vettle

DVB
16
User avatar
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by DVB » Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm

mantikos wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm
zioture wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Blistering comparison https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdT3qsqX4AAngej.jpg
1. You don't know how many laps each tire had done
2. The Mercs were doing repeated burnouts during pre-season testing to further highlight the damage, this was widely reported and tweeted about and commented on by Vettle
Very true, if I remember correctly, Mercedes was entering the pitlane and 'revving' the engine without making a pit stop.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

ScrewCaptain27
385
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Image
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

MtthsMlw
338
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by MtthsMlw » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm


MtthsMlw
338
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by MtthsMlw » Wed May 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Goodbye wing mirrors. May 2018 - May 2018.
Image

Monster Hesh
4
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by Monster Hesh » Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Why would Ferrari commit the whole race weekend, and run them all through two days of testing, when they will never see the light of day again?

marvin78
9
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by marvin78 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 pm

The old ones where already in the trash ;})

Mamba
5
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by Mamba » Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Monster Hesh wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm
Why would Ferrari commit the whole race weekend, and run them all through two days of testing, when they will never see the light of day again?
The same reason (apart from the fact that according to the regulations they were technically legal) that they were allowed at the GP. The modifications would be too extreme as it is not a quick overnight simple swap fix - as new halo fairing is required. Guess the car goes back to Maranello to be modified and repaired before being sent to Monaco? Mirrors will be updated, modified or removed then.

PhillipM
181
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by PhillipM » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Probably because they'll just mount the mirrors from the upper arm without the stalk and then the FIA can't complain and they still do the same job :mrgreen:

roon
310
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by roon » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I hope so. I enjoy watching all this cat herding.

SparkyAMG
6
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by SparkyAMG » Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 am

PhillipM wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 pm
Probably because they'll just mount the mirrors from the upper arm without the stalk and then the FIA can't complain and they still do the same job :mrgreen:
Sadly all halo mounted mirror stalks must now join the mirror on either its in-board surface or the bottom surface, and multiple stalks aren't permitted unless the structural requirement of said stalks are demonstrated.

PhillipM
181
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post by PhillipM » Thu May 17, 2018 1:08 pm

SparkyAMG wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 am
Sadly all halo mounted mirror stalks must now join the mirror on either its in-board surface or the bottom surface, and multiple stalks aren't permitted unless the structural requirement of said stalks are demonstrated.
"Okay Charlie, whatever you say, we've fixed the mirrors"

Image