Vettel says VSC delta has a loophole

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AJI
AJI

Re: Vettel says VSC delta has a loophole

Sieper wrote:
18 May 2018, 15:07
...Also, in reply to Phil, I think Ricciardo spun after the VSC ended (not under). The gap (interval on the TV screen, I have not other info during the race) Max had to Danny suddenly increased drastically (and this was just after the VSC had gone away).
It was definitely during the VSC, just before the track went green. Both of the 'Bulls' got a little bit too excited...

Phil

I checked, Ricciardo spun on lap 42, so under the VSC. The onboard can be found on youtube on the official f1 channel (highlights if the race).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Fulcrum

Is the loophole driving the slowest whilst adhering to the minimum allowable time?

I.e. travel the shortest possible distance - if this deviates from the normal racing line - but maintain the minimum time allowable, thereby having the slowest average speed and the best fuel consumption? Optimal fuel saving in other words. This can't really be a loophole though, as everyone would be aware of it and doing it if worthwhile.

Phil

I stand corrected then. Anyway, my numbers with the gaps can't be from the same lap the VSC started, nor the lap after, because obviously with the cars spread out, they will impact some laps more than others (and therefore the gaps to each other).

Therefore, I used lap 40 which was the last lap before the VSC and anyone's lap were compromised and lap 44 which was the first lap where all top 6 were driving normal lap times again.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

It was a bit hard to see as the Ricci spin wasn’t even shown during the race. I think it is safe to say that the whole VSC (next to having luck or not where you are relative to pit entry when it starts) is very hard to understand, even for the drivers themselve as rather large shifts in time do occur due to/under it, it seems to me.

TAG

Saw this video today, it's and exelent explanation of how the VSC works and brings up many of the points that have been discussed here, still don't see any validity to Vettel's comment with driving line loophole.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

So as we all kinda thought, you cant really cheat the VSC, as you HAVE to be behind the delta time as the track goes green,

So is Vettel a super genius and knows something no one else does, or has he just made himself look like a dumb a$$ ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

the only loophole is that you can have an almost free pit stop. Vettel tried it and it failed.

Phil

I think there could be a “loophole” here:

Check Alonso’s overtake on Leclerc. Was Leclerc just slow to react or did Alonso floor it just seconds before the VSC ended, but with enough time to accelerate and hit before hitting the 50m marker while the VSC is still active?

E.g.:
The VSC is about to end in 3 seconds. You just passed a marker. Instead of waiting the full 3 seconds until the VSC ends, you floor it 2 seconds before.

Obviously this only works if you can pass the next marker just after the VSC ended. If you get it wrong and you pass it earlier, you would be way under the virtual delta time given for that sector.
#Team44 supporter

zac510

It is curious that nobody has been penalised for any infractions during any of the VSCs we've had so far. F1 drivers are not usually that good at following the rules, I'd have thought someone to get busted for something by now :D

AJI
AJI

Sieper wrote:
19 May 2018, 14:39
Ricciardo disagrees;

https://www.maximumf1.com/nieuws/formul ... s-too-soon
So it would seem... SKY lied to me!!
Although in the 24hour news cycle it can be both, so, everyone's a winner

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
23 May 2018, 10:48

Check Alonso’s overtake on Leclerc. Was Leclerc just slow to react or did Alonso floor it just seconds before the VSC ended, but with enough time to accelerate and hit before hitting the 50m marker while the VSC is still active?

E.g.:
The VSC is about to end in 3 seconds. You just passed a marker. Instead of waiting the full 3 seconds until the VSC ends, you floor it 2 seconds before.

Obviously this only works if you can pass the next marker just after the VSC ended. If you get it wrong and you pass it earlier, you would be way under the virtual delta time given for that sector.
I guess that could be possible, but its nowhere near anything Vettel is going on about with crazy lines ect
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

AJI wrote:
23 May 2018, 11:04
Sieper wrote:
19 May 2018, 14:39
Ricciardo disagrees;

https://www.maximumf1.com/nieuws/formul ... s-too-soon
So it would seem... SKY lied to me!!
Although in the 24hour news cycle it can be both, so, everyone's a winner
This are Ric's own words and are the truth. The Sky narrative at the moment is that Ver is making mistakes and Ric is grown up and steady. While it is true that Ver made mistakes this season opening (next to a good performance as well which is totally being overshadowed (and ignored) to this but f.e. In the last race Ric crashed in FP1, just after race start (after SC) he went very wide (totally off track by more then a car) and almost lost his P5, after race restart (VSC) he spinned massively yet no mention of this. heck, the spin wasn't even shown during the race. Also look at who was the fastest per lap, from lap 11 to 41 or so Ric was faster then max in 3 laps. But this is not what we want to hear, Ric is steady and Max is making mistakes, that is the story. In Spain a lot of the Ric talkers also only focus on the Max hitting Stroll. See, Max makes mistakes and Ric is steady.

TAG

Phil wrote:
23 May 2018, 10:48

E.g.:

That's a roll of the dice, not a loophole. Like Bottas nailing the start.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत