2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

J.A.W. wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:00
Maybe he should swap rides with Lorenzo for 2019?

That'd be a real test of his mettle..
It is just adaptation matter. Every Honda and ducati experienced riders says that riding Honda is harder

JonoNic

Ducati chassis too stiff to gauge front-end grip. Just like normal road road riders can't get the last potential from a motogp bike.
etusch wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:

It is just adaptation matter. Every Honda and ducati experienced riders says that riding Honda is harder
Always find the gap then use it.

etusch

Bill_Kar wrote:
20 May 2018, 14:40
I have an honest question. Why Ducati is keeping this bike's philosophy? It's destined to fail. One championship, so are they waiting for the next Casey?
OK, it'll be a headache to start from scrap, but what have they earned from all of this?
They have a engine power advantage and good acceleration advantage thanks to longer wheelbase. Their bike looks more stable at high speeds and braking. More gentle on tyres. They just lost on turns. They bring winglets to motogp for better acceleration. It looks like they don't want change their aproach but make better their bike in their way.

J.A.W.

etusch wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:06
J.A.W. wrote:

Somehow, I think Dovi might disagree with that.. esp' tonight..

( & so might the last US Moto GP Champ.. if he could.. the 'KY kid' - won it on a Honda, but never even got 1 win, on the Ducati).
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.

etusch wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:13
Bill_Kar wrote:
I have an honest question. Why Ducati is keeping this bike's philosophy? It's destined to fail. One championship, so are they waiting for the next Casey?
OK, it'll be a headache to start from scrap, but what have they earned from all of this?
They have a engine power advantage and good acceleration advantage thanks to longer wheelbase. Their bike looks more stable at high speeds and braking. More gentle on tyres. They just lost on turns. They bring winglets to motogp for better acceleration. It looks like they don't want change their aproach but make better their bike in their way.
Ducati's 'trademark' L-configuration engine forces the longer wheelbase, & the vague turn-in feel to the front-end..

& AFAIR, the downforce aero is to push the front down in high-speed corners, with even the front wheel - fitted with aero..

etusch

J.A.W. wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:22

Ducati's 'trademark' L-configuration engine forces the longer wheelbase, & the vague turn-in feel to the front-end..

& AFAIR, the downforce aero is to push the front down in high-speed corners, with even the front wheel - fitted with aero..
I don't think it will help front grip at turns. Just at acceleration

Bill_Kar

J.A.W. wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:16
etusch wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:06
J.A.W. wrote:

Somehow, I think Dovi might disagree with that.. esp' tonight..

( & so might the last US Moto GP Champ.. if he could.. the 'KY kid' - won it on a Honda, but never even got 1 win, on the Ducati).
Yeah I think it's a bit of overstatement.

Bill_Kar

etusch wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:13
Bill_Kar wrote:
Yeah sure but it's not the acceleration you want to boost. Ducati has a problem and it's called unpredictability. When you don't feel safe on the bike, you can't extract full potential, so it doesn't matter how fast it is.

J.A.W.

etusch wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:25
J.A.W. wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:22

I don't think it will help front grip at turns. Just at acceleration
Well, I'll go with what a factory Ducati rider reckons..

So here's Jorge Lorenzo's say - about the winglet/downforce - issue..

"I need more stability... to enter the corners with confidence, with downforce."

& I note that while Dovi initially eschewed use of the downforce option, he has now adopted J.L.'s aero-suite..

Andres125sx

Source?

I´ve always hear those winglets are only to help keeping the front wheel down while accelerating

J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
21 May 2018, 08:59
Source?

I´ve always hear those winglets are only to help keeping the front wheel down while accelerating
Guess you've got to keep up with what the riders say, eh - Andres.. ( J.L. quote sourced from 'Autosport' April 17th 2018).

Andres125sx

Not when that contradict physics :wink:

J.A.W.

J.L. being a current factory Ducati rider, & a past multiple World Champ.. or Andres' grasp of "physics" - its a tough choice.. not..

& the clincher is.. Dovi - who also took up J.L.'s aero-downforce preference.. to the extent of a front-end lose DNF, yesterday..

etusch

I also remember that both Honda riders were talking about winglets that it is good at acceleration but different feelings at turns and they must work on it. Then they didn't use winglets (I think it was the times last season's winter tests)

J.A.W.

M.M. certainly chooses to utilize the current Honda downforce/winglet fairing..

Dunno 'bout Dani though..

What with Dani being a puny ~50kg.. yeah, he reported problems wresting the aero-equipped Honda about.. in the past..