Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Big Tea

Re: Formula E

jjn9128 wrote:
20 May 2018, 16:42
nzjrs wrote:
20 May 2018, 13:32
That's really a fantastic video. He's really pushing and learning the limitations/difference/quirks in real time.
Agreed! You would have thought he'd do his homework beforehand though :lol:
But he is playing, not job hunting :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

In that video, at 0:22, during take-off, the pulsations. Are these traction control? Drive train harmonics? Tire slip?

strad

Sorry
Guess I misunderstood. :oops:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jjn9128

roon wrote:
20 May 2018, 18:37
In that video, at 0:22, during take-off, the pulsations. Are these traction control? Drive train harmonics? Tire slip?
I assume it's just the sound of the motor at low revs while he tries not to run over the photographers.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
20 May 2018, 20:21
roon wrote:
I assume it's just the sound of the motor at low revs while he tries not to run over the photographers.
Does this new car have re-gen?
Just realised, they are linux. Gen2

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
20 May 2018, 20:29
Definitely - it's the major benefit of the electric drive train, they wouldn't get rid of it!

Gen 2 because it's a spec bodykit. I think it's technically called the Spark SRT05-E but that doesn't roll off the tongue so well :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

Interesting race from Berlin.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

MattyT

roon wrote:
I've driven an electric kart which does the same thing at low revs, so it's definitely not TC, but I don't have a more technical explanation of it unfortunately

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
20 May 2018, 20:58
Big Tea wrote:
20 May 2018, 20:29
Definitely - it's the major benefit of the electric drive train, they wouldn't get rid of it!

Gen 2 because it's a spec bodykit. I think it's technically called the Spark SRT05-E but that doesn't roll off the tongue so well :lol:
Was wondering if Nico's foot was not firm enough and the re-gen was unsure if it was in or not.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:22
Was wondering if Nico's foot was not firm enough and the re-gen was unsure if it was in or not.
I thought the re-gen was requested from a paddle on the steering wheel - so they lift and coast with no foot on either pedal, then pull the paddle for re-gen, then brake with the left foot. That he wanted the brake bias backwards maybe suggests he wasn't using the re-gen at all - that's not really an issue for a 5 lap demo run though.

You can have re-gen when lifting off the accelerator as a lot of road EV's do, but that means you can't coast. You could also have it as the 1st stage on the brake pedal, but if you hit a bump and end up braking it's not ideal.
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:31
Big Tea wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:22
I thought the re-gen was requested from a paddle on the steering wheel - so they lift and coast with no foot on either pedal, then pull the paddle for re-gen, then brake with the left foot. That he wanted the brake bias backwards maybe suggests he wasn't using the re-gen at all - that's not really an issue for a 5 lap demo run though.

You can have re-gen when lifting off the accelerator as a lot of road EV's do, but that means you can't coast. You could also have it as the 1st stage on the brake pedal, but if you hit a bump and end up braking it's not ideal.
I was trying to think why the surge when Nico eased out of the box, with people all around him. I remember first driving an EV and did the same thing. Too little peddle and the 'system' was confused and juddered in and out of drive/recover.
(this was in the early days of EV though)

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:37
I was trying to think why the surge when Nico eased out of the box, with people all around him. I remember first driving an EV and did the same thing. Too little peddle and the 'system' was confused and juddered in and out of drive/recover.
(this was in the early days of EV though)
Ah yes my bad, regen wouldn't try to kick in without the paddle being pulled either way.

If you try to use a power drill really slowly with some load you'll get a similar juddering. I imagine it's to do with the rotor/stator positions - rather than a smooth transition you can feel the jump from pole to pole.
#aerogandalf

Steven
Owner

I have asked Brembo about the specification of the brakes for the upcoming car. This is their response:
As regards FE at the moment we can’t release details about the system of the next season.
So we know the diameter is identical at the front to F1, but I asked for clarification on thickness, calipers and brake material.

J.A.W.

Steven wrote:
21 May 2018, 19:30
I have asked Brembo about the specification of the brakes for the upcoming car. This is their response:
As regards FE at the moment we can’t release details about the system of the next season.
So we know the diameter is identical at the front to F1, but I asked for clarification on thickness, calipers and brake material.
Good on you, Steven - for showing the gumption to make some enquiries at source, as proper fact checking.

It seems - on face-value - curious that the disc diameter dimension is identical, given that FE discs are not constrained
by a much smaller rim diameter, unlike other Formula series..

So it may well be an 'economy of scale' factor in effect, with an 'off-the shelf'' brake package specification from another,
lesser, Formula series set-up (which indicates a similar braking performance requirement) - & likely* not F1..

* You never know, though, since even if FE cars require only a fraction of the braking performance demanded by F1,
Brembo may have been requested to provide FE with an 'F1 spec' braking system for reasons of 'prestige marketing',
which could - perhaps - trump 'merely technical' requirements - in certain circumstances.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

djos

Considering FE cars are electric, the goal would be to harvest as much energy as possible under braking via the motors operating in re-gen mode.

As a result having the brakes built to F1 spec would be extremely wasteful.

When F1 introduced the current PU regs, the F1 teams all reduced the size and performance of their rear brakes in order to capture as much energy as possible via the MGU-K under braking and remove excess weight that was no longer required.
"In downforce we trust"