2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Let's tackle an issue here; Lando Norris. What has he done to warrent the massive hype going on around him? SKY have been building his reputation for about a year now. I do not regularly watch any junior racing categories but I do read the headlines. I don't get the impression he is the new golden boy.

Vandoorne for that matter was massivly more impressive before he arrived to Formula 1. Why would Norris fare any better against Alonso than Vandoorne does? And does replacing Vandoorne for Norris warrent the minimum one year get-up-to-speed time where Mclaren will have to rely on Alonso to drag home the points?

Actually, I'd question if it is right for Mclaren to put another rookie in that 2nd seat. Can they really afford the lack of points from their second driver? Other big teams, such as Mercedes and Red Bull first station their junior drivers elsewhere to get experience. Mclaren would in my opinion be wise to do the same, if possible of course. Ferrari has now done the same. A top team doesn't have the time to wait for rookies to mature. Basically only Hamilton has succeeded as a rookie in a top team.

I'd say Mclaren should go shopping for a good nr2 driver. Chances are they'll have to swallow their pride, but I'm sure they're used to that by now. Drivers like Magnussen, Perez, Hulkenberg, Sainz would be solid and a known quantity. Mclaren could even take a loan on Ocon if Mercedes would allow it. Either way, Mclaren can't afford to run another rookie.

kptaylor

I'd say the Lando vs Stoffel argument, recently, is based on lap times during the testing after the Spanish GP. May not be apples to apples but the times will definitely create the argument.

mwillems

I guess it depends on whether Alonso is here next year. Sainz and Alonso would be nice but I think he would stay at Renault if his contract ends with Red Bull. Mclaren wouldnt develop a Mercedes driver or risk any appearance of being their feeder team.
Perez always wants to be "The man" and I'm not sure how the Alonso and Perez harmony would be. That said if he still brings cash then maybe Mclaren wouldn't mind.
Mag and Hulk maybe. But at the end of the day, Alonso won't accept anything but clear number one status. For that reason I'd rather have Stoffel or try Lando alongside and Alonso in the other car.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 May 2018, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

kptaylor wrote:
20 May 2018, 19:33
I'd say the Lando vs Stoffel argument, recently, is based on lap times during the testing after the Spanish GP. May not be apples to apples but the times will definitely create the argument.
And a large helping of national bias from the British fans and media.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

godlameroso

Nonsense, what I've seen from Norris actually impresses me, he's the deal deal.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Thunder wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:19
JPBD1990 wrote:
15 May 2018, 10:54
Morteza wrote:
15 May 2018, 10:40
Winglets on the sidepod a la McLaren?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdOZTojWkAA4cIC.jpg
Photo via @ChrisMedlandF1
Could just be the angle/lighting...
It's real.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4261682177
The difficult thing to understand is how McLaren, despite having a dog of a car, is one of the most copied teams on the grid.

Marco Alves

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

DiogoBrand wrote:
20 May 2018, 23:48
Thunder wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:19
JPBD1990 wrote:
15 May 2018, 10:54

Could just be the angle/lighting...
It's real.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4261682177
The difficult thing to understand is how McLaren, despite having a dog of a car, is one of the most copied teams on the grid.
Some good concepts, but in the end it takes everything to work well together.

McHonda

So was Vandoorne though.

I think it's a fair point to make that they've recently put a lower formula superstar in their line up so who's to say Lando will be any more successful than Stoffel, but thankfully enough they're in the same team and they themselves will have all the relevant data and will know who is their best bet moving forward.

Although I do agree with the above poster who says they should try to place him elsewhere first. I think it's a good point that the top teams are doing this rather than risking throwing them in the deep end. McLaren are in a different situation though so not as easy to do even if they wanted of course.

makecry

godlameroso wrote:
20 May 2018, 23:45
FWIW, people talked about Stoffel the same way.

godlameroso

makecry wrote:
21 May 2018, 01:53
godlameroso wrote:
I never did, I've consistently rated Vandoorne as a slightly faster driver than Button, and the results reflect that. I put Norris amongst the likes of Riccardo and Hamilton, he could definitely give Alonso a run for his money.
Saishū kōnā

nirvaand

godlameroso wrote:
21 May 2018, 03:45
makecry wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I never did, I've consistently rated Vandoorne as a slightly faster driver than Button, and the results reflect that. I put Norris amongst the likes of Riccardo and Hamilton, he could definitely give Alonso a run for his money.
You didn't, but everyone else did. It's the same thing. Stoffel was the real deal before he came into F1, now it's Lando. You thinking Lando will give Fernando a run for his money is hypothetical and absurd, you haven't even seen the guy race in F1. There is no point trying to compare Lando and Stoffel, only McLaren know who's better.

makecry

godlameroso wrote:
makecry wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
He might but that would be because ALO is getting older. As I said before, there will be a cross over, I dont think it is here, maybe before or around 2020. I dont know.

max_speed

marmer wrote:
19 May 2018, 00:09
Might be worse than that if he can see Alonso's data and see how he does it but just can't bring himself to match it. Alonso seems to have an ability to destroy his teammates with the exception being Hamilton
Hamilton was saved by Mclaren by giving a preferential treatment . Disclaimer: i am not questioning Hamilton's ability or greatness. i will consider them as equal or Alonso a tad bit higher.

godlameroso

nirvaand wrote:
21 May 2018, 06:04
godlameroso wrote:
makecry wrote:

You didn't, but everyone else did. It's the same thing. Stoffel was the real deal before he came into F1, now it's Lando. You thinking Lando will give Fernando a run for his money is hypothetical and absurd, you haven't even seen the guy race in F1. There is no point trying to compare Lando and Stoffel, only McLaren know who's better.
I've seen them race in the same car, I don't know if you remember a certain 24h race in the middle of Florida.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

makecry wrote:
21 May 2018, 07:59
godlameroso wrote:
makecry wrote:

He might but that would be because ALO is getting older. As I said before, there will be a cross over, I dont think it is here, maybe before or around 2020. I dont know.
Driving is a funny thing, it doesn't decline like your physical ability does. I think a truly good driver can hang onto his or her skills well into their 40s. Personally I'm in my mid 30s and I feel I'm driving better than ever with lap times to back it up.
Saishū kōnā