Proposed F1 2019 Miami Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
johnny vee

Re: Proposed F1 2019 Miami Grand Prix

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... t-1040023/

"That means there will be no traditional up front sanction fee, and instead there will be some form of revenue and risk sharing involving the F1 organisation, billionaire promoter Stephen M Ross and, presumably, the City of Miami."

So instead of paying about $30mil like every other track except Monaco and Brasil, Miami could pay nothing and just share proceeds from ticket sales and VIP packages.

But it does open a can of worms for Liberty.
This article is a very informative read.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

ian_s

i dont think its a can of worms as such, but probably closer to how liberty will negotiate with tracks in the future, which i can only see as a good thing

bill shoe

But immediately, you have to wonder how COTA in Austin feels forking over massive up-front fees every year. Obviously pretty crappy.

Possible realistic conclusions for COTA-
1. We have already paid for our track and have committed ourselves to the contract so we are in weaker negotiating position than a potential newcomer like Miami.
2. Liberty Media does not see COTA as the long-term future of F1 in the U.S. They will take our money for the next 4 years and then leave.

godlameroso

wrcsti wrote:
12 May 2018, 04:42
https://i.imgur.com/45g3r2I.jpg
My rendition, adds some higher speed corners before braking points to allow for more overtaking spots. Also the changeover for the bridge is cleared up by using the normal traffic route. again, alowing cars to chase closer than a tight U turn would. Also a bit more scenic track with cars driving through the skyline. And uses the empty parking lots as areas for grandstands.

Google says 7km, 5.7 if you cut the extra bits at the bottom left
A part of your track is train tracks, I actually wish that was road.
Saishū kōnā

marmer

bill shoe wrote:
22 May 2018, 04:52
But immediately, you have to wonder how COTA in Austin feels forking over massive up-front fees every year. Obviously pretty crappy.

Possible realistic conclusions for COTA-
1. We have already paid for our track and have committed ourselves to the contract so we are in weaker negotiating position than a potential newcomer like Miami.
2. Liberty Media does not see COTA as the long-term future of F1 in the U.S. They will take our money for the next 4 years and then leave.
If I was COTA I would be worried. The original idea was it would benefit from the Mexican market traveling to the track. Now Mexico has s track.
Ideally for liberty 3 races in the USA would be ideal. 5 in North America. So you could have them all together in a bunch. Start Canada then do something near or in new York. Miami then west coast (personally I want Laguna but I know it's got issues )
Then finish the north American run in Mexico.

So while there is nothing on the east and west coast they should be fine but things can change quickly.

Just on the format I would do Canada, off week usa triple header, off week, Mexico

Just_a_fan

3 US races? Why? Better to go back to India for a race - now that's an emerging market with a billion people in it. The US is never going to be a big market for F1 because it has its own mature racing series. I don't see the US having sufficient interest to support 3 races.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

godlameroso wrote:
22 May 2018, 05:20
wrcsti wrote:
12 May 2018, 04:42
https://i.imgur.com/45g3r2I.jpg
My rendition, adds some higher speed corners before braking points to allow for more overtaking spots. Also the changeover for the bridge is cleared up by using the normal traffic route. again, alowing cars to chase closer than a tight U turn would. Also a bit more scenic track with cars driving through the skyline. And uses the empty parking lots as areas for grandstands.

Google says 7km, 5.7 if you cut the extra bits at the bottom left
A part of your track is train tracks, I actually wish that was road.
Innovation opportunity.

Overtaking might be an issue.

marmer

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2018, 12:33
3 US races? Why? Better to go back to India for a race - now that's an emerging market with a billion people in it. The US is never going to be a big market for F1 because it has its own mature racing series. I don't see the US having sufficient interest to support 3 races.
They showed less interest than usa did and the track wasn't great from memory

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2018, 12:33
an american enterprise - Liberty Media - last year bought F1.
they actually made F1 races start 10 minutes later for USA viewers.
Lewis Hamilton is quite a celebrity by now in the USA.
COTA is quite a well-visited race despite all the other generally more 'merican and locally more popular sports going on at the same time.
There's an American racing team in F1.

you honestly think there's no interest from the US in F1? #-o #-o
geesh.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan

They changed the way the time that the of the world watches F1 to keep a US TV network happy. That's not a sign that F1 is popular in the US.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:24
They changed the way the time that the of the world watches F1 to keep a US TV network happy. That's not a sign that F1 is popular in the US.
:wtf: dude don't you even hear your own contradiction.

they friggin changed the F1 time format to accomodate the F1 fans in the states.
you don't go far enough reasoning that this USTV network shows F1 because there are actually people watching it? :roll:

you're seriously underestimating the f1 'fan'base in the states, and even moreso, underestimating the growth potential there.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

wrcsti

Someone made a crude version of this track for assetto corsa, heres a couple of laps following another sf70h

seems to me this will be a catastrophically boring race unless some baku magic happens

Manoah2u

i concur, i think it looks actually pretty exciting like that in asetto corsa. reminds me of a few classic tracks combined together, a bit of adelaide, a bit of suzuka, a bit of baku, and some phoenix f1 track.

i also see plenty of room for brake-overtake manouvers like that of Ricciardo for example. plenty of slipstream possibilities, i am only worried about the start of the video where there's some grass patches, there's a pretty dangerous 90-degree barrier where the grass ends and the 'walls' starts. looks very, very, very dangerous to me like this, so that needs some attention.
apart from that, i think there's potential there.

johnny vee

johnny vee wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:20
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... t-1040023/

"That means there will be no traditional up front sanction fee, and instead there will be some form of revenue and risk sharing involving the F1 organisation, billionaire promoter Stephen M Ross and, presumably, the City of Miami."

So instead of paying about $30mil like every other track except Monaco and Brasil, Miami could pay nothing and just share proceeds from ticket sales and VIP packages.

But it does open a can of worms for Liberty.
This article is a very informative read.
It has begun....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/azer ... 1-1041466/
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

wrcsti

Manoah2u wrote:
25 May 2018, 11:42
i concur, i think it looks actually pretty exciting like that in asetto corsa. reminds me of a few classic tracks combined together, a bit of adelaide, a bit of suzuka, a bit of baku, and some phoenix f1 track.

i also see plenty of room for brake-overtake manouvers like that of Ricciardo for example. plenty of slipstream possibilities, i am only worried about the start of the video where there's some grass patches, there's a pretty dangerous 90-degree barrier where the grass ends and the 'walls' starts. looks very, very, very dangerous to me like this, so that needs some attention.
apart from that, i think there's potential there.
biggest issue i see is the fast technical bits are very tight, assetto corsa does model downforce loss when following a car and it was very tough to follow. Yes my setup isnt the best out there but i havent had to work that car so hard just to stay on track before. DRS position is going to be very crucial, its not simulated here so its used throughout the lap. And I do agree on the area behind the arena. It has to go, its very tight and gives no real room for pit exit. Track feels monaco-esque, but without the nice flow.