2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Edax
Edax

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Gothrek wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:36
Dont forget Verstappen, I wouldn’t wanna start next to him. He likes to crash Monaco as well.
So did Fangio, Clarke, Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher and Senna to name a few. Monaco is one of those circuits where you only learn the limits the hard way.

Like my carting instructor said a long time ago:

“If you don’t hit the barrier once you’re not trying”
“If you hit the same barrier more then once then you are not learning”

I think VES has fullfilled one but the jury is still out on two.

(Needless to say I gloriously failed on the second part :wink: )

djos

Wouter wrote:
23 May 2018, 14:36
Gothrek wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:36
Dont forget Verstappen, I wouldn’t wanna start next to him. He likes to crash Monaco as well.

That is not true! Last year he had to follow a teamorder, because RBR had messed up Ric race in 2016.
He ended up 5th because of the teamorder, otherwise he had ended up higher.
I hope Verstappen will start from pole or 2th place.
Dan nailed his strategy with brilliant driving and was the faster of the two during the race when it counted.
"In downforce we trust"

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Toto said that the handicap because of wheelbase length is about 0.1s, but to whom? Red Bull or Ferrari? I missed that part.

I hope that Barcelona's testing helped Mercedes, we need a 3-way fight this weekend. Because frankly I think that Mercedes might be the tail of the train, if they just sort out the tires issues they could put in a good lap on Saturday.

zoroastar
zoroastar

Sieper wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:22
The Grosjean bashing is getting old. Yes he made a big mess of the Spain start (also helped by Kmag's move) but indeed badly handled (pulling a smoke curtain whilst keeping his foot down and spinning all over the track) but he was actually having a very decent start up to the moment Kmag's side step surprised him. I think he will be the most careful starter of all in Monaco.
you have to remember that there will probably be a few safety car periods for him to crash during.

LionKing
LionKing

djos wrote:
24 May 2018, 00:08
Dan nailed his strategy with brilliant driving and was the faster of the two during the race when it counted.
Wasn't Verstappen in front of Daniel and Red Bull's slow stop caused a failed undercut attempt and hence made Verstappen get stuck behind Bottas again?

zibby43
zibby43

Bill_Kar wrote:
24 May 2018, 01:38
Toto said that the handicap because of wheelbase length is about 0.1s, but to whom? Red Bull or Ferrari? I missed that part.
And that the 0.1 sec is gained back (and then some) because of the downforce you gain with a longer car and the additional underfloor surface area you have to work with.

Further explanation below:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... o-1040312/

Also, someone on r/F1 did a very interesting write-up explaining that Sector 2 performance at Barcelona is a better indicator for performance/success at Monaco than Sector 3.

Mercedes was clearly the fastest in Sector 2 at Barcelona this year.

djos

LionKing wrote:
24 May 2018, 03:01
djos wrote:
Wasn't Verstappen in front of Daniel and Red Bull's slow stop caused a failed undercut attempt and hence made Verstappen get stuck behind Bottas again?
The slow stop was largely Max's fault for missing the box position - Dan got an aggressive overcut strategy once Max pitted and he drove qually laps, every lap to leap frog both Max and Valteri onto the podium. Iirc he'd looked after his tires which was one reason he could make the overcut work.
"In downforce we trust"

Mansell89
Mansell89

Surely RBR have a right chance of parking themselves on the front row of the grid this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the cars on track.

TwanV
TwanV

djos wrote:
24 May 2018, 04:33
LionKing wrote:
djos wrote:
The slow stop was largely Max's fault for missing the box position - Dan got an aggressive overcut strategy once Max pitted and he drove qually laps, every lap to leap frog both Max and Valteri onto the podium. Iirc he'd looked after his tires which was one reason he could make the overcut work.
Did he have a little more pace just like last race? :lol: sorry mate I know you like RIC but that one was mega-obvious (and a good move by the team)

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

TwanV wrote:
24 May 2018, 09:44
djos wrote:
LionKing wrote:

Did he have a little more pace just like last race? :lol: sorry mate I know you like RIC but that one was mega-obvious (and a good move by the team)

Good move but inherently unfair. In that if you're going to sacrifice a driver to try to goad someone else into a mistake you should use the guy running behind not the one ahead on merit.

Ricciardo was faster because with two guys pitted he wasn't being held up, nothing more or less. Verstappen was being held up by Bottas.

I mean Ferrari would always use Kimi in that situation over Vettel but pretty much every other team should be using whoever was behind in that race.

djos

Iirc there was some luck involved too as Bottas pitted in response to Max which enabled Dan to jump them both with some fast diving.
"In downforce we trust"

basti313
basti313

drunkf1fan wrote:
24 May 2018, 09:58
TwanV wrote:
24 May 2018, 09:44
djos wrote:

Good move but inherently unfair. In that if you're going to sacrifice a driver to try to goad someone else into a mistake you should use the guy running behind not the one ahead on merit.

Ricciardo was faster because with two guys pitted he wasn't being held up, nothing more or less. Verstappen was being held up by Bottas.

I mean Ferrari would always use Kimi in that situation over Vettel but pretty much every other team should be using whoever was behind in that race.
This discussion is one of the most stupid I ever saw on this forums. It was not expected, that the overcut is faster before the first stops. This is clearly proven by Merc pitting Bottas. So this whole discussion on teamorder or fairness is pure nonsense.

TwanV
TwanV

why basti? It's monaco so mechanical grip is key and tires don't really suffer, hence the overcut is better 9 times out of 10. Have a look at the lap chart of RIC if you're not convinced (before/after the stop): https://www.racefans.net/2017/05/28/201 ... test-laps/

EDIT for your info, its not about team-orders or fairness, it's about teamwork.
Last edited by TwanV on 24 May 2018, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

zibby43
zibby43

Woah indeed. Guess there was some fire to the smoke that was that ERS deployment rumor . . .