VW diesel cars fallout

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
bill shoe

Re: VW diesel cars fallout

I don't know details well, but I think when they ran emissions-compliant (and without DEF) on the emissions chassis-dyno, this clogged or deteriorated the aftertreatment (catalytic converter?) in a way that was not sustainable. The aftertreatment would have been ruined within a few thousand miles of continuous on-dyno emissions-compliant running.

The other approach of having DEF but not using it much means that it's available during emissions-compliant running so you are not messing up your aftertreatment.

Anyone who understands better please chime in.

Tommy Cookers

and just now on my screen there's an ad by AutoTuning.nu for a Euro 6 AdBlu Emulator

NL_Fer

On cars without Adblue, to keep NOx emision low, allot of EGR is needed. This causes clogging of the motor internals, turbocharger, EGR valve itself and Particle (DPF) filter. Overal engine performance is reduced and to clean the particle filter, extra cleaning (burning) cycles are needed, which consumes extra diesel fuel.

Eventually the DPF will clog with ashes from the bruning process and needs maintenance. With much EGR this point will come sooner and cost the owner money.

Even on cars which use Adblue, the consumption of the fluid can be reduced it the NOx levels are not kept to the legal minimum. Which again saves the owner maintenance cost and time, because for a consumer car Adblue is refilled by the dealer.

VAG used several checks in software to determine if the car was on a dynometer for testing or not. On of them was the steering angle sensor. On a dynometer, the steering is kept straight. So when a car was not turning its steering wheel, accelerating on a certain level, on a certain speed it determined this a dynometer en switched to legal amounts of NOx reduction.

When it was determined the car was on a road, EGR/NOx reduction was kept to a minimum.

loner

after Trump Imposes Steel, Aluminum Tariffs On Canada, Mexico And EU
Trump Reportedly Planning Ban On Luxury German Autos.. another fallout on VW , Mercedes and BMW i assume.
The report comes less than two weeks after the U.S. Department of Commerce launched an investigation into automobile imports to determine whether they "threaten to impair the national security" of the U.S. That could lead to tariffs of up to 25 percent on the same "national security" grounds used to impose metal imports charges in March.
WiWo also points out that an import duty of 25 percent would also have a significant economic impact - the Ifo Institute comes in own calculations alone in the German carmakers at the cost of about five billion euros. That would depress German GDP by 0.16 percent.
"No country would fear higher absolute losses through such an inch than Germany," says Gabriel Felbermayr, director of the Ifo Center for Foreign Trade.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05- ... rman-autos
para bellum.

Cold Fussion

Don't think protectionism has anything to do with VW cheating on emissions tests. Given the Trump administration's handling of the EPA, I don't think they even care about cheating on emissions tests.

FrukostScones

Cold Fussion wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 04:31
Don't think protectionism has anything to do with VW cheating on emissions tests. Given the Trump administration's handling of the EPA, I don't think they even care about cheating on emissions tests.
they don't care about the emssions, just the cheating. God forbid!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

santos

Cold Fussion wrote:
The scandal with VW emissions was all about politics. And all world reacted in a way very hypocritical.
Do you belive that US care about the emissions? They have a championship just to burn tyres. And even in europe. Countrys that have a championship of tractor pulling… lol do they have the right to point a finger at VW?

Big Tea

santos wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:04
Cold Fussion wrote:
The scandal with VW emissions was all about politics. And all world reacted in a way very hypocritical.
Do you belive that US care about the emissions? They have a championship just to burn tyres. And even in europe. Countrys that have a championship of tractor pulling… lol do they have the right to point a finger at VW?
Don't do what I do, Do what I tell you. Ah yes, and the small matter of tax they did not pay due to the stated emissions.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bill shoe

. . . .

Cold Fussion

santos wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:
No matter how political it was when the scandal broke out, the logical conclusion of said event was never a blanket
25% tariff or outright banning of sale of all German marques. This is entirely to do with Trump's trade war and nothing to do with emissions cheating.

Thunder18

djones wrote:
09 May 2018, 18:34
Nice explanation.

On the cars without DEF, what were they doing? Reducing power during test conditions, or something?
https://jalopnik.com/the-college-studen ... 1819804604

loner

VW fined €1 billion by German prosecutors over diesel emissions scandal
Car giant Volkswagen has been fined €1 billion by public prosecutors in Braunschweig over its diesel emissions scandal, marking one of the highest ever fines imposed by German authorities against a company.
http://www.euronews.com/2018/06/13/vw-f ... te-scandal
para bellum.

FrukostScones

DAIMLER is next.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

loner

Audi boss arrested in diesel probe: German prosecutors
https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d674d3541 ... are_p.html
para bellum.

Greg Locock

santos wrote:
The scandal with VW emissions was all about politics. ...
That is the funniest post I have seen for a while, albeit probably unintentionally.

Meanwhile here's another high profile arrest https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44517753

"The carmaker said it had installed software in 11 million diesel cars worldwide that could tell when they were being tested and cut their emissions."

It's a direct and deliberate circumvention of the regulations.