GP1 Series?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
N12ck

Re: GP1 Series?

looks like it may not happen

http://www.pitpass.com/46755-Exclusive- ... Ecclestone

have a read :(
Budding F1 Engineer

Nando

bhallg2k wrote:I could see a GP1 series being a direct challenger to F1.

One of Moseley's ideas for F1 was to allow virtually unrestricted regulations for teams that adhered to a specific yearly budget cap. If GP1 has the support of manufacturers like Honda, Toyota or BMW, teams that left F1 due to restrictive regulations combined with high costs, it could easily be a viable alternative to "the pinnacle of motorsport."
the old Nazi wasn´t as dumb as he looked. I find that to be a brilliant idea as it really would take away the money issue and really focus on the brains of F1.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Cam

I'm not so sure. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a verbal 'smoke and mirrors'. Example, the last one was Webber and Red Bull saying contract talks would happen soon and the next day the deal was done and signed. No-one is going to tell us their future plans outright, one must try to read between the lines for the snippets of gold. F1 is a business and it wouldn't be the first time a business has built up and floated only for the founding members to sell off and start the exact same business under another guise to do it all again... would I be be right Ray?

It was the F1 float that sold the GP1 alternative for me in the first place and if that float goes ahead, anyone with shares should be worried. Heritage runs second to profits I'm afraid.

If it all goes to nothing, it'll be a real shame as the potential for GP1 is enormous.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

Paul wrote:If you'll watch it, someone will throw a bit of cash at it. That's how it works.
That's my point - I would watch it, but I think it could potentially be a somewhat niche audience.

In the ultimate big picture it has potential. After all people watch GP2, WSR etc. But I'm not entirely sure that it can gain the necessary traction.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

megz

Not this idea per se that I was thinking of - but as I watched some old CanAm footage it struck me that there isn't any other competition that the current GP drivers compete in outside of F1. Granted - the calendar is much more cluttered these days. It would be awesome to see something to compete with F1 as a series though.

I've always liked the idea of a set budget and a set amount of fuel now do what ever the hell you like so long as you don't exceed what has been set out and travel 305km as fast as you can.

A standard tub and gearbox might be a good way to give the teams somewhere to start and restrict semi-pointless spending so that what does change is obvious to the punter - I.e. Engine (via sound) and exterior aero. Would be a very fan and manufacturer friendly sport I imagine.

Pie in the sky stuff though I'd say. The economy isn't good enough to support and sustain such a venture outside of the privately wealthy.

Paul

raymondu999 wrote:That's my point - I would watch it, but I think it could potentially be a somewhat niche audience.

In the ultimate big picture it has potential. After all people watch GP2, WSR etc. But I'm not entirely sure that it can gain the necessary traction.
Sure, it's all about the total numbers. Or a niche audience specific enough to interest certain sponsors.

raymondu999

In an ideal world - I'd love to have GP1 as a mandatory addition to F1. ie the teams should run their normal car, then the same guys and the same teams run the GP1 cars - ie have a spec series along with F1 with the same engineers/drivers/mechanics/TPs and see how quali/the race would look like in spec cars. Should be loads of fun :lol:
Paul wrote:Or a niche audience specific enough to interest certain sponsors.
It certainly could happen. The question then would be whether or not it would attract enough.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mzivtins

god how boring that have been! no history!

F1 is built on a massive foundation of a bloody history of politics, death, engineering and sex appeal... the combination of f1 and monaco should say it all.

I'd love to have another sporting series to watch, but f1 is more than just watching cars blat around a track, its almost a lifestyle for some... god i love f1 :lol:

strad

Got an update today that says they will announce later this week.
Anyone else get it?
Said it would be 1500hp and a bunch of other stuff. Said it was Bernie's baby.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

NL_Fer

WSR 3.5 is dead now. LMP1 also. Manufacturers all running to Formula E. I suppose they are nog interested in sponsering another development series.

If they want something exciting, it should be loud V12 NA motors. Spec chassis with good overtaking possibilities. High downforce and 1000 bhp to rival F1 laptimes. Old F1 drivers like Coulthard, Webber, Button, Massa, Kobayasji and Maldonado.

Race in Europe, afforable entrance prices and a support race with Ferrari or Lamborghini supercars.

bill shoe

There were too many development series for a long time. Now I realize that's better than too few.

I saw the F3.5 V8's last year at one of their final races. M'god those were serious cars! And required only around 3-4 crew per car.

strad

I haven't seen anything more about this.
It was a serious site. I don't think it was a joke. They had all sorts of supposed facts.
Such as tracks locked in. Facts about the stock floatation.
I don't know what to think. I was hoping some on here would have caught it too.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

DiogoBrand

I'd like to see a series to rival F1, but if people think a NA V12 will attract any manufacturer when all of them are going for Formula E they don't know what they're saying. Manufacturers couldn't care less about how exciting the series is, they just wanna know what image it will bring to the company, how many people will invest on their company because of their motorsport efforts. Nobody today will invest in a company that's putting money on NA V12s, 90% of advertising these days is based on the environment, and even though cars are an insignificant part of all man-made emissions and electric cars will make no difference at all to pollution, investing on electric cars is what brings investment and loads of money to car manufacturers.

And the ones who think that a series with a lot of design freedom will be exciting, they're just delusional. F1 is as close to a spec series as it can and still there can be a 3 second per lap difference from first to last, what do people expect from a free series? Also, with F1 doing everything it can to improve overtaking, overtaking is still awful, what would happen if you let aerodynamicists go crazy with all sorts of sensitive aero?

I know I shouldn't care about this, but I'm tired of seeing these same comments every time the word "regulation" is brought up.

And finally, do I think a series like that would work? Absolutely not.

Jolle

People like Briatore whisper ideas like this, not just in F1 but in general, of something the noisy minority wants. A group that is too small to be an actual target for a big product. With these ideas they hope to attract some silly investors and make a few good pay days.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 09:30
People like Briatore whisper ideas like this, not just in F1 but in general, of something the noisy minority wants. A group that is too small to be an actual target for a big product. With these ideas they hope to attract some silly investors and make a few good pay days.
Sounds like exactly how we ended up in Azerbaijan.