General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HPD

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by HPD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Honda will receive criticism of Red Bull in power circuits.
TR or Mclaren were not in a position to claim anything. But Red Bull is different..
Yamamoto said they are not afraid of Red Bull criticism. Honda fans have to prepare for this in 2019

!Technical

Post by !Technical » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm trying not to get too carried away with expectations for this year. This is a building year for Honda and also a learning year for Toro Rosso (as a works team) and the two rookie drivers. Next year the true test for Honda will lie with the big boys and girls at Aston Martin Red Bull Racing. Given the relatively early decision to switch, I'm expecting them to hit the ground running at winter testing. The integration with the chassis won't be Mercedes W05 'optimal' but it should be decent enough to at the very least keep Red Bull as the third best team. Toro Rosso should have a much better year with a better integration with the new chassis and also a complete RB14 rear end. Expecting them to be challenging Renault, Mclaren every weekend no matter what the circuit is.

RonDennis

Post by RonDennis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I also find it amazing that Honda and Renault are constantly pointing to each other, but shouldn't their focus be on Mercedes and Ferrari, who both are miles ahead of them.

shingles

Post by shingles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 pm

I think Honda has said they want to beat Mercedes. It’s mostly among fans that’s comparing the Honda and Renault.

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:44 pm

What really disappointing about str is that they brought a big aero upgrade that supposedly to take them to next step but don't work, now there taking their frustrations on engine which is absolute nonsense ,Honda did their part ,str has to deliver theirs

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:51 pm

This week end was totally unrepresentative though. other than the track being a full bolt, probably not helping the Honda electrical power management, no one can remember it being this hot.
The track has been surfaced with a very black compound and it soaks up the heat and plays havoc with the tyres, also hot air to the engines, cooling systems and aero.

I think (for all the cars) just discount this week end.
Can I make a 3D printer on my 3D printer?

TakataDomeNSX

Post by TakataDomeNSX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:44 am

Probably what we need to consider about the drama this weekend are:
1. Merc Ferrari having much more powerful quali modes, which Renault just added and is negligible to Max Verstappen, and Honda having one but less powerful, so the difference during quali on the straights is magnified at a track like this.
2. Higher efficiency from the top two during the race, but Gasly did manage to get by the FI which was impossible before Canada update
3. New aero package on the TR frustrating the drivers.

Probably just an emo week for all involved, but I definitely don't like the way Gasly talked to the media, it is probably not very motivating for the people who work at the factories. A drivers job is to drive, to unlock the potential with the race team, to motivate.

techman

Post by techman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:50 am

the tr aero package is not working because of their front wing, other stuff they brought were working. i hope they bring another alternative front wing.with the old wing and new bargeboards and ferrri wing mirror all working

!Technical

Post by !Technical » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Gasly needs to tow the team line and be more optimistic. You never hear Tost or Hartley talking down any part of the team. Sure you can voice your concerns internally within the team but there's no real need to point those things out to the media. He is almost starting to become Alonsoesque. It's the cars fault. It's the PUs fault. It's not my fault. Best lemans win ever...

Zynerji

Post by Zynerji » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 pm

All shortcomings can be covered with: "Its or first year with our new partners, and it takes time to fully integrate to unlock the performance that we all desire. "

I'm sure his PR training had similar things taught, as to not cause internal strife...

TakataDomeNSX

Post by TakataDomeNSX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 am

!Technical wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 pm
Gasly needs to tow the team line and be more optimistic. You never hear Tost or Hartley talking down any part of the team. Sure you can voice your concerns internally within the team but there's no real need to point those things out to the media. He is almost starting to become Alonsoesque. It's the cars fault. It's the PUs fault. It's not my fault. Best lemans win ever...
Indeed. There's talent for sure and I gave him every ounce of my support from the beginning of the year, but if talent comes with Alonso-ish tendencies that's no good..

Another reason maybe he had his hopes of a promotion to RB dashed by Dani Ric staying and he's just not a happy camper last week. Probably was looking for a shock promotion ala MV

!Technical

Post by !Technical » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Gasly does seem like a very emotive driver. When things go well he is loud with praises for the team, as seen in Bahrain. When things don't go well, he goes to town on the radio like Grosjean. It has its positives but as part of his development as a top tier driver, team boss Tost should be fine tweaking his driver's outputs including how to deal with media.

makecry

Post by makecry » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 am

!Technical wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Gasly does seem like a very emotive driver. When things go well he is loud with praises for the team, as seen in Bahrain. When things don't go well, he goes to town on the radio like Grosjean. It has its positives but as part of his development as a top tier driver, team boss Tost should be fine tweaking his driver's outputs including how to deal with media.
I am sorry but it is downright "toxic" for Gasly to throw Honda under the bus like that. He literally told the world that their car was mega and that Honda is the root of their problems. I mean, seriously? Honda is working day in and day out to try and get back on track and their driver tells the world that the car is fine but engine loses too much on straights. We already know that, Honda already knows that, he doesn't have to broadcast it.

shingles

Post by shingles » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 am

makecry wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 am
!Technical wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm
I am sorry but it is downright "toxic" for Gasly to throw Honda under the bus like that. He literally told the world that their car was mega and that Honda is the root of their problems. I mean, seriously? Honda is working day in and day out to try and get back on track and their driver tells the world that the car is fine but engine loses too much on straights. We already know that, Honda already knows that, he doesn't have to broadcast it.
You know, the thing is, I think only most biggest Honda hater will agree with Gasley. I think most people realize that this is STR and not RB. Everyone knows that Honda isn't there yet, but the chassis isn't the best either. So when he says stuff like this, it's just silly. At the end of the day, it really makes Gasley look silly. I am a fan of his... but he probably should concentrate on his driving. In particular, his starts, and restarts. Losing 2 position before the starting like in the 2nd restart. What the heck is that?!

HPD

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Asked by Autosport if he was completely convinced by Honda, Ricciardo said: "I think probably until I was to drive a Honda I wouldn't know [100%].

"I've obviously heard the team out more than once and they've given me the reasons.
"The important thing for me, to understand why they've done it, is it can't just be purely on emotions.
"Like, 'It's gone to --- with Renault, whatever, and we're doing it because we want to change'.
"They've obviously done their homework and they strongly believe that it is a good thing, not just an emotional decision.
"They've done what they can to try and encourage me to make it happen."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said Ricciardo did "not really" need much convincing about Honda.
He said: "We sat down and explained the rationale behind the changes we made.

"The reality is it's time for change. We've been doing the same thing year after year, we've seen real progress with Honda, and it just feels the right time in our evolution to be going a different route."

Toro Rosso driver Pierre Gasly complained during last weekend's British Grand Prix that Honda was costing his team almost a second in straightline speed.
Ricciardo downplayed the impact this would have on his faith in Honda for 2019, saying after qualifying: "Well, I would say we're losing something similar [with Renault]."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13735 ... main-doubt