2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

gdogg371 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 14:55
makecry wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:56
gdogg371 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:54
I wonder what odds there are on McLaren falling into the hands of a BMW, Mercedes or VW in the next ten years as a whole? I know their applied technologies and road car businesses are doing a lot better than the F1 team is, but what would the selling price need to be for the group and would one of the major car manufacturers want to own them?
~2bil GBP as of now.
I dunno why, but I have this image of McLaren one day going the way of Cosworth or Ilmor and becoming part of a big car company, but still branded as McLaren...
Of course they will be branded as McLaren, why else would you take over McLaren.

Ground Effect

No mention of any upgrades for Hockenheim on the team's race preview. Maybe there won't be updates at all until Spa, after the summer break.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GoranF1

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 23:33
No mention of any upgrades for Hockenheim on the team's race preview. Maybe there won't be updates at all until Spa, after the summer break.
Aero upgrades in Germany and Hungaroring....

Source: Ivan
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Benii6

GoranF1 wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 10:18
Ground Effect wrote:

Will they be substantial?

GoranF1

Benii6 wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 10:21
GoranF1 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Will they be substantial?
Didnt say
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

M840TR

GoranF1 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Link to source?

McG

gdogg371 wrote:
I wonder what odds there are on McLaren falling into the hands of a BMW, Mercedes or VW in the next ten years as a whole? I know their applied technologies and road car businesses are doing a lot better than the F1 team is, but what would the selling price need to be for the group and would one of the major car manufacturers want to own them?
I don't think this McLaren team are going to make it so selling up might be a good option. Let BMW run the F1 part and also McLaren cars could use BMW engines again. But that all seems very silly.
F1 is dead.

Glyn

McG wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:34
gdogg371 wrote:
I don't think this McLaren team are going to make it so selling up might be a good option. Let BMW run the F1 part and also McLaren cars could use BMW engines again. But that all seems very silly.
Mclaren has been failing since 2008.
They need to drastically change something.

If they keep it up. They will never become great again.

makecry

Wait why is the sale of McLaren group being discussed? It is no basis, there is no company interested in buying McLaren. McLaren is not interested in selling. Why even waste time discussing a hypothetical scenario that is basically more or less equal to day dreaming?

Alonso Fan

makecry wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 23:32
Wait why is the sale of McLaren group being discussed? It is no basis, there is no company interested in buying McLaren. McLaren is not interested in selling. Why even waste time discussing a hypothetical scenario that is basically more or less equal to day dreaming?
Hmm apparently people like to daydream online now too...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

M840TR

AMuS article detailing problems at Mclaren

But the MCL33 has a fundamental problem.

He is only competitive if the rear wing is set to stop. So on routes such as Barcelona, ​​Monte Carlo or the Hungaroring. If the rear wing flattened, the McLaren loses in comparison to the environment too much contact pressure. And is too slow on the straights.

The engineers have realized that something is lazy with the concept. That's why Alonso in Spielberg has tried a new front wing, baffles and underbody. It was an experiment in a different direction. Apparently with a positive result. McLaren wants to make the parts ready for the GP Hungary.
For Williams and McLaren, the question is, how much time to invest in the 2018er season. In 2019, a major aerodynamic reform is due. Is it a coincidence that just the world champions of the 80s and 90s are now slipping into crisis? No, it has method. The problems are homemade, sometimes even on the same basis.

An engineer who worked for both teams says: "Both are mature teams with loyal employees. Many people at McLaren or Williams have never looked out of their own homes. They do not even know how Formula 1 has evolved, what other teams look like because they do not know anything else. If you tell them how the competition has upgraded, they will not believe you. They live in their own world and the great heritage of their racing teams. "

McLaren has a second problem. There are too many bosses in the technical office. "You talk to one engineer one day, the other one to another. Both are responsible for the same area, but no one is really responsible, "recalls the same engineer whose team was a McLaren customer.

The structures that made McLaren grow into a public agency have others to answer for as those who now had to take their hat off. They originated in the era of Ron Dennis. And they were never abolished properly.

Dennis introduced work processes as in mass production, he structured the engineering office as a matrix with many levels of leadership instead of a guru at the top. Stars on the drawing board like John Barnard or Adrian Newey were more and more suspect to him. He revolutionized racing in part, but also developed his own company into an authority in which everyone stood for success, but none for failure.

McLaren has been living on his own planet since that time. For years people were talking to each other and to others about building the best chassis in the field. If it was not enough for the earlier exploits, the engine was automatically responsible. Meanwhile, even the team management admits that this was probably a mistake. "We did not have the best chassis last year. And the current car has even less downforce than that of 2017, "admits Zak Brown.

The 46-year-old American concludes: "We have to change our structures. We have many good people who can not show their talent. The decision-making processes are too long. The communication internally too bad. And we need expertise from outside to get to know new ways of thinking. "

Fernando Alonso agrees: "Last year we had a couple of systems in the car that are now prohibited by the regulations. We could not compensate for this loss. The big Aero package we brought to Spain was a good step. But only for two races. We need more of it. At the track we do a good job. We have to improve off the track. "

McLaren has done the opposite. Downforce at any price, even if it is inefficient. The car is even more in the wind than a Red Bull with his job, but the McLaren generates far too little downforce over the chassis compared to a Red Bull. And with Red Bull, McLaren has to compare itself to the ambitions and the identical engine, whether they like it or not.

McLaren is also taking a risky path in its development program. Mostly, large packages arrive at the car. If they do not work, the engineers stand in the woods. Cleanly developed in small steps. That helps understanding. Williams and McLaren should wonder why a small Swiss team is constantly improving their car while kicking on the spot or falling back.

At McLaren it's even more complicated. There is no safety net. McLaren depends on the patience of its shareholders. Zak Brown is already preparing Mansour Ojjeh and the sovereign wealth fund from Bahrain for a long wait: "The problems did not arise overnight. You will not be able to solve it overnight. "
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... e-gruende/

M840TR

Ivan Roldan on twitter :
It is not exactly a lack of correlation. But I can not go into more details, I hope you understand. We keep progressing
https://twitter.com/ivanlda/status/1019 ... 50720?s=12

McG

makecry wrote:
If you can't beat em join em. Everyone's doing it.

They may as well sell up since it's going to be so long or never that they may or may not be winning. Same with Williams. If anything, Renault will be on top quicker and Red Bull are fundamentally a better team so they will always be ahead even with a Honda engine.

Just look at the sorry characters in McLaren now.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

McG wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 03:56
makecry wrote:

They may as well sell up since it's going to be so long or never that they may or may not be winning. Same with Williams. If anything, Renault will be on top quicker and Red Bull are fundamentally a better team so they will always be ahead even with a Honda engine.

BS on BS doesn't make anything true.

If they start winning those same sorry characters are heroes.

Anyways always easier to kick people when they are down than keep the faith...

makecry

diffuser wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 08:58
McG wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 03:56
makecry wrote:

BS on BS doesn't make anything true.

If they start winning those same sorry characters are heroes.

Anyways always easier to kick people when they are down than keep the faith...
Yup hindsight is 20/20 kind of thing.

Same people who --- on Alonso for making wrong choices would be singing his praise had he won 2007,2010 and 2012 and if Honda hadn't --- the bed so hard.