Autonomous Cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
henry

Re: Autonomous Cars

Big Tea wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 14:46
henry wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 14:18
Big Tea wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 13:44

I doubt very much any communication would be directly vehicle to vehicle. The whole idea would be an integrated system. Any 'deal' made between two individual cars would have to be passed through 'central' to ensure that any or all other cars in the area would not be adversely affected. Same as when you drive with waze or similar. You are advised by waze and your actions are reported back so they can update traffic conditions etc. You do not get the update directly from the car in front of you, it is processed and you are fed only relevant information and that from a centre.
It is envisaged that it will be direct vehicle to vehicle. Initial standards are in preparation.

Here’s a report on the communication protocols. http://www.3gpp.org/news-events/3gpp-news/1798-v2x_r14

Here’s an overview of standards activities. https://www.pcb.its.dot.gov/StandardsTr ... m38sup.pdf

V2V, or rather V2X , vehicle and infrastructure, is happening and will happen relatively soon whether autonomous cars happen next year or never. There are a couple of cities in the US where the traffic lights talk to selected Audi and Cadillac cars to tell the driver when they will next change.
I am rather surprised at that. Looking around cities it seems there is fear of vehicles being used as 'terrorist weapons'', as there are what amount to barricades everywhere. I envisaged things being in control of a unit like air traffic with each rout individually logged and planned (fractions work for a computer, as it sets the rout or negotiates it not tries to fit you in like a puzzle).

My local bus has system linked to the traffic lights, don't know how it works though I think it is just an IR beam that says 'I'm Here, change now'
I believe the main goal of V2X is information exchange. So cars will broadcast their location, speed, direction etc. over a limited range and other cars or infrastructure will take action in relation to that information. In a non-autonomous vehicle it may have a display that alerts the driver that their is a vehicle approaching at a junction just round the blind corner. There are also suggestions that emergency vehicles will have a special call sign that will alert cars and infrastucture to clear a route for them.

You need not worry that you are the only person that sees the potential for misuse of such features. The people working in standards, and away from the commercial mayhem, are well aware of the issues. Will they achieve perfection? Probably not. Will, on balance, things be better for society from their efforts I think so. You may not.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

strad

No it doesn't but the tests are rigorous than for most other industries.
Pilots are highly trained individuals that need to be alert at all times, we are not and having to "work around" issues
We have numerous incidents of pilots setting the auto pilot then nodding off to sleep.
I modified the question because there are no fully autonomous vehicles yet. Only Semi Autonomous.
Tesla's system has killed a few people. Hondas warns that their system may not brake hard enough to prevent a collision . Actually the one rated best of 7 is the Cadillac's.
I just wondered how many that think it's a great step forward have actually spent the money on either full electric cars or semi autonomous vehicles.
They are pretty expensive so without trying to sound combative I wondered who has put their money where their mouth is. Honest no being combative I just don't know of a better way to phrase it.
To buy almost any of the semi autonomous vehicles it to lay out a fair amount of cash. In most cases it is an expensive accessory.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

theblackangus

strad wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 21:16
Pilots are highly trained individuals that need to be alert at all times, we are not and having to "work around" issues
We have numerous incidents of pilots setting the auto pilot then nodding off to sleep.
While there have been *very few* incidents, the number is not zero.
This just goes with my point that a normal person cannot be expected to "work around" issues. The software has to be held to pretty high standards to ensure safety.

roon

strad wrote:
Actually the one rated best of 7 is the Cadillac's.
We should expect no less from government motors, the fine corporation who perfected the keychain activated cylinder-deactivation system.

strad

keychain activated cylinder-deactivation system.
Explain please. I have cylinder deactivation on my Colorado but I'm not aware that it has anything to do with the key fob.
I works on what I'm demanding from the engine near as I can tell.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
I modified the question because there are no fully autonomous vehicles yet. Only Semi Autonomous.
Tesla's system has killed a few people.
Correction, the misuse of Tesla system has killed a few people :wink:

You can´t assume something should do more than it is designed to do, and when it fails acomplishing you´re irrational targets, blame it :roll:

strad wrote:
I just wondered how many that think it's a great step forward have actually spent the money on either full electric cars or semi autonomous vehicles.
They are pretty expensive so without trying to sound combative I wondered who has put their money where their mouth is. Honest no being combative I just don't know of a better way to phrase it.
To buy almost any of the semi autonomous vehicles it to lay out a fair amount of cash. In most cases it is an expensive accessory.
Thinking is a great step forward, or to be more precise, thinking it will be a great step forward, does not mean it will be to me, or that I think they are today. Sorry but you´re being a bit demagogic here

I think they will be great because:

1- Many people don´t like driving wich implies they don´t learn more than the necessary to move from A to B wich means on a dangerous situation they simply can´t react. AVs will improve roads safety in this case.

2- Many people is too dangerous to own a driving license. Some people think roads are a racing track. Their driving licences should be burnt, and they will once they can use an AV, and roads will be safer then.

3- Everybody will enjoy an AV from time to time. Even driving junks like myself have some days when you´re pretty tired and if the car can driver for itself it will be awesome. Obvisously I will not pay an expensive extra cash to add AV functionality, but once they´re standard I will enjoy it.

So as you can see, you don´t need to purchase one of the first SEMI-autonomous cars to demostrate you think future autonomous cars will be great. It´s apples to oranges, they will be great when they exist, but there´s no proper AVs available yet, only semi-autonomous, and even if they would, I don´t need to purchase one to be happy about that option being available for those who don´t like driving and should not be driving. Thinking they will be great does not necessarirly imply I think they will be great for me :wink:

Tommy Cookers

according to my TV there is available a vehicle called the Kittyhawk Flyer - a one-person electric drone
it seems at the moment to be about 90% of the way to being an AV

Big Tea

Tommy Cookers wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 13:47
according to my TV there is available a vehicle called the Kittyhawk Flyer - a one-person electric drone
it seems at the moment to be about 90% of the way to being an AV
out dated link

Edit

later version here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjqR4JAsL1A
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

I admit I didn't go through every post to see if this was already covered, but I did get the majority. I am an avid believer in the automation of vehicles. That doesn't mean I don't like track days or an occasional trip to the drag strip. I also enjoy my 6 speed manual gearbox. But as everyone else I'm out on the road with people that couldn't care less about driving. These people in my opinion are why we need AVs (level 5!).

I think its important to understand the different levels of automation that are considered. There are 6, Level 0 thru Level 5, and only some cars sold today are L1 (adaptive cruise control). Tesla is not even out of the L2 category yet. Audi is capable of L3 but has not been licensed to operate in that mode. Having said that, even L3 and 4 cars will rely on the driver as backup.

So I think the problem with the systems today are that drivers/public are expecting a L2 category car to perform like a L5 car and we simply are not there yet. This is partially the fault of great marketing departments at the various auto companies.

As an example, even airplane autopilots which have been around for many years and are safer than a pilot flying the plane by hand do not relinquish the responsibility of the pilot to be in full control of the plane and its operation. You will never see an aviation accident report which puts the fault on the autopilot, it will be the fault of the pilot for not maintaining situational awareness. There are a lot of good papers on the effects of automation on pilot performance. A lot of those studies would be applicable to cars as far as human performance go.

So I bring this up because a lot of the arguments around AV (not here, but in general) will show Tesla as an example and how many crashes it has had while in Autopilot mode. The problem here is that while in Autopilot mode, which is L2, the final authority is the driver not the car. So while the driver/public may expect a higher level of automation the reality is that the driver is fully at fault for the cars actions from a regulation and legal point of view. I recently saw an accident in Ft Lauderdale where a couple of teenagers wrecked a Tesla going way over the posted 25 MPH speed limit around a residential corner. Guess what the headlines were. Hint: It wasn't that the kids ran out of talent and wrecked the car. Autopilot wasn't even engaged. This could have been in any town USA (or world) and it wouldn't have made it out of the local papers.

Ok, sorry long post and rant. Next ones will be shorter.

I snagged the below out of an automotive site which gives a pretty good overview of the different automation levels. Each level is incrementally more challenging to achieve than the previous level. L5 is the first one which requires no human intervention. We are a long ways from that today. Also, here is a good chart (https://www.engineering.com/DesignerEdg ... icles.aspx)

Level 0: No automation. This includes cars equipped with regular cruise control. The ability to maintain a speed that the driver sets is not autonomous. It's still up to the drive to change speed if the car catches up to a slow-moving Prius hogging the left lane.

Level 1: Driver assistance required. Adaptive cruise control falls into this category. When you catch up to that left lane hog, the car will automatically slow down to match its speed with no intervention from you. Lane keeping assistance falls into this category as well, as the car will gently guide you back into your lane as you start to cross the line. At Level 1 the driver still needs to maintain full situational awareness and control of the vehicle.

Level 2: Partial automation options available. Tesla Autopilot, Volvo Pilot Assist, Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot, Cadillac Super Cruise—these are all Level 2 systems. They will manage both your speed and your steering under certain conditions, such as highway driving. They will match your speed to the speed of traffic ahead of you and follow the curves in the road in ideal conditions. But the driver must still pay attention to driving conditions at all times and take over immediately if the conditions exceed the system's limitations, of which there are many. Don't buy the hype that these are fully self-driving cars. They can only drive themselves at certain times under certain conditions.

Level 3: Conditional Automation. Audi claims that the new A8 is the first production car to achieve Level 3 autonomy—not Level 4 as Motor Trend claims, or as earlier Audi marketing inaccurately implied. The car, rather than the driver, takes over actively monitoring the environment when the system is engaged. The Audi AI traffic jam pilot can take over the tedious job of creeping through highway traffic jams at speeds below 37 MPH. However, human drivers must be prepared to respond to a "request to intervene," as SAE International calls it. In other words, once the conditions under which Level 3 autonomous driving is possible no longer exist, such as traffic clearing and speeds exceeding 37 miles per hour, the driver is required to take over. This is arguably the stickiest level of autonomy, since drivers will be called on to take over when they haven't been paying attention to the road for a while. This is also the difference between Level 3 and 4 that Motor Trend failed to grasp.

Level 4: High automation. Self-driving cars will be able to handle most "dynamic driving tasks," to use SAE International's terminology. In other words, a Level 4 car can handle most normal driving tasks on its own, but will still require driver intervention from time to time, during poor weather conditions, for example, or other unusual environments. Level 4 cars will generally do the driving for you, but will still have a steering wheel and pedals for a human driver to take over when needed.

Level 5: Full automation. Humans are nothing but cargo that tell the car where to take them. The car can drive itself anytime, anywhere, under any conditions. Any human intervention in the driving at all is not Level 5.

henry

State of the art appears to be Waymo. There are a number of articles about them reaching 8 million autonomous real road miles. Here’s one https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/1759 ... es-testing

No one else has this level of experience.

They are not offering the moon on a stick. Their short term goal is to provide autonomous ride hailing in Phoenix by year end. Extremely well mapped, good weather, lots of road miles in the territory with a support driver. So level 4. Not owner riders but a fleet maintained by the operator.

It will be an interesting test case.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

strad

Tesla now has another fatality to hang on its semi-autonomous driving system. The company just revealed that its Autopilot feature was turned on when a Model X SUV slammed into a concrete highway lane divider and burst into flames on the morning of Friday, March 23. The driver, Wei Huang, died shortly afterwards at the hospital.

This is the second confirmed fatal crash on US roads in which Tesla’s Autopilot system was controlling the car. It raises now familiar questions about this novel and imperfect system, which could make driving easier and safer, but relies on constant human supervision.

In a blog post published this evening, Tesla says the logs in the car’s computer show Autopilot was on, with the adaptive cruise control distance set to the minimum.
Tesla has killed a couple of people and run over more than a few bicycles injuring the riders.
If I have to monitor it constantly I don't see the advantage. Not like people imply and you can do paperwork while it drives.
Sir Stirling Moss

subcritical71

strad wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:01
Tesla now has another fatality to hang on its semi-autonomous driving system. The company just revealed that its Autopilot feature was turned on when a Model X SUV slammed into a concrete highway lane divider and burst into flames on the morning of Friday, March 23. The driver, Wei Huang, died shortly afterwards at the hospital.

This is the second confirmed fatal crash on US roads in which Tesla’s Autopilot system was controlling the car. It raises now familiar questions about this novel and imperfect system, which could make driving easier and safer, but relies on constant human supervision.

In a blog post published this evening, Tesla says the logs in the car’s computer show Autopilot was on, with the adaptive cruise control distance set to the minimum. The car stays in
Tesla has killed a couple of people and run over more than a few bicycles injuring the riders.
I think the problem is the owners of these vehicles assume they can do much more than what the vehicle is designed and capable of. They believe the goals of the future are built in and the automakers are just covering themselves in case something happens. I've driven a Tesla a few times now and can tell you that it felt like the Autopia ride at Disney. The car stayed in its designated lane, but wondered back and forth a little. You didn't get that shock you do on Autopia when you go to far to the left or right, but the wondering was there. In no way would I not be paying attention while autopilot was engaged. (This is all on V1 autopilot).

Greg Locock

The reason the big boys jumped from L1 to L4, without releasing L2 or L3, is precisely because of human factors. L1 is dodgy enough that the driver remains engaged, L4 is the first level where the driver can basically ignore the car, and doesn't exist yet in production. L4 means that in any situation if the car gets puzzled, it pulls over, safely. As to true L5 (driving in snow, fog and across fields, all around the world), my latest guess is 2040 at the earliest for 1% first world market penetration. It may never be economically feasible.

Big Tea

Greg Locock wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 23:07
The reason the big boys jumped from L1 to L4, without releasing L2 or L3, is precisely because of human factors. L1 is dodgy enough that the driver remains engaged, L4 is the first level where the driver can basically ignore the car, and doesn't exist yet in production. L4 means that in any situation if the car gets puzzled, it pulls over, safely. As to true L5 (driving in snow, fog and across fields, all around the world), my latest guess is 2040 at the earliest for 1% first world market penetration. It may never be economically feasible.
Do you think it may become 'modular'? In that a standardized interface is part of the car, and as the 'brain' is going to be the expensive part, and the part that will have legal and acceptance problems, this can be chosen by the owner and range anywhere in the spectrum depending on cos? It also allowed for updates and country specific option which the manufacturer then does not have to change the production line for.

I don't think it will be a mater of ability but a matter of acceptability, and this may change from country to country and use to use. I read Japan are intending to have fully automated transport to and from the Olympic stadium in 2020 and Tokyo by 2022

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... SKCN1J00VN
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

Greg Locock wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 23:07
Wait, I'm behind :oops: . Who is doing L4 AV already?