2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

So Pierre was testing new parts which delivered but he was in rails all the time and struggled throughout so much so that Hartley was quicker than him on FP1. He didn't have much to say today. The car prolly will add some downforce today. I have a hunch th at Hartley might have some updated component maybe in MGUH and might be quicker than Gasly in race.
Does anyone know if they ran with old spec or new wing?

techman

from the pics i saw its the old wing. but i have say iam impressed with hartley pace today in race sim

HondaPOD

McMika98 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 07:52
So Pierre was testing new parts which delivered but he was in rails all the time and struggled throughout so much so that Hartley was quicker than him on FP1. He didn't have much to say today. The car prolly will add some downforce today. I have a hunch th at Hartley might have some updated component maybe in MGUH and might be quicker than Gasly in race.
Gasly uses the new front wing and Hartley uses the old one. I think TR is lost because the new development does not give the expected step. TR stays faster with the old FW

techman

thats the thing if these aero update dont bring any net gain. then it is hard to move forward.

nzjrs

HondaPOD wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 09:47
McMika98 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gasly uses the new front wing and Hartley uses the old one. I think TR is lost because the new development does not give the expected step. TR stays faster with the old FW
Practice report says the updates were positive but they/gasly couldn't hook up a good setup. They made setup changes throughout so hopefully FP3 will prepare them for Q.

https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... practice-0

Similar thing happened at austria where Hartley got the new wing and was off the pace but then apparently the next race they could set both up correctly.

restless

well, worst qualy in 2018 so far... even Sirotkin was faster

GhostF1

Well thanks to Hamilton's escapades, being asked to stop as PU risk but he didn't at turn 2, he continued. Ruined Gasly's Qualifying. Q1 out. Both drivers... Again another messy weekend

restless

Given that Riccardo starts last... it will be a tough fight with Stroll & Vandoorne for last place :(

!Technical

Yellow flags fault or just simply not quick enough. Keen to hear what the team has to say in the press releases.

McMika98

As expected Hartley failed to deliver again, he had a clean lap unlike Gasman. Shame they could have been around P11 had they gone to Q2. The car is beginning to fall back and is at least half a second behind the likes of Haas and Renault, even Sauber. Again looks like they went back to old setup, the drivers are rookies but so are the race engineers, damm they need to get their act together before the Williams march past them

Ground Effect

Gasly was interviewed after qualy, he didn't say anything about his lap being compromised. He did complain about pace generally, with others improving and they're not. The Ferrari engine has really lifted Haas and Sauber to another level. We'll get a better picture in Hungary, where the engine makes less of an impact.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

techman

iam not too disappointed, it was changing conditions. these rookie could not get the best out the car. however i am impressed with the race pace on ultra soft. it was the best of the midfiled except for haas. the pace and tyre deg is very good

McMika98

The race pace is meaningless as they will be bunched at back of midfield. Any overtake move will damage tyres. Dont think they will start on Ultras. Maybe start on soft or medium and then one stop and bring Ultra.

nzjrs

Disappointing qualy. Official report again describes setup uncertainty. I guess they have a narrow window where the car is competitive and the deficit is not exaggerated

etusch

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:58
Gasly was interviewed after qualy, he didn't say anything about his lap being compromised. He did complain about pace generally, with others improving and they're not. The Ferrari engine has really lifted Haas and Sauber to another level. We'll get a better picture in Hungary, where the engine makes less of an impact.
Merc says they they losing 5 tenths to ferrari on straights. What is going on?