If a modern aerodynamicist went back to 1992

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hollus

Re: If a modern aerodynamicist went back to 1992

Asking A. Newey, as fun as it sounds, is likely to return empty handed. Have you considered asking Willem Toet in Linkedin? He has the knowledge, the time, no ties and he seems to be in playful mood too!
Rivals, not enemies.

Tim.Wright

I think the biggest issue you'd have in 92 would be the lack of tools (both hardware and software) to analyse, design and adequately test the aerodynamic solutions that today's designers implement. In other words, I doubt you'd see solutions as complicated as today's because there were not the resources to get parts like this designed and built.

Regarding the suspension - would be hard to imagine anyone using FRIC or tuned mass dampers as active ride was still legal in 1992.
Not the engineer at Force India

DiogoBrand

Something to keep in mind: they didn't have cfd and wind tunnels wouldn't give as much information as today, but they had unlimited testing and I believe unlimited wind tunnel time as well.

jjn9128

Are we assuming this modern aerodynamicist is taking a supercomputer loaded with the latest CAD and CFD packages with him/her?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

DiogoBrand

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:28
Are we assuming this modern aerodynamicist is taking a supercomputer loaded with the latest CAD and CFD packages with him/her?
No the supercomputer itself, but all the knowledge he already gathered with the supercomputer.

gold333

jjn9128 wrote:
No, just himself/herself. And knowledge gained throughout their career.

I think it's fascinating to see what that car would have been like (still according to 1992 regulations).
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

gold333

hollus wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:02
Asking A. Newey, as fun as it sounds, is likely to return empty handed. Have you considered asking Willem Toet in Linkedin? He has the knowledge, the time, no ties and he seems to be in playful mood too!
I don't use linked in but feel free to point him to this thread!
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

jjn9128

gold333 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:00
jjn9128 wrote:

I think it's fascinating to see what that car would have been like (still according to 1992 regulations).
My point being that modern engineers aren't taught proper pencil/paper drafting anymore so without CAD they'd (we'd) be lost getting the geometries they want through the workshops. Then there's the CFD issue which is what makes it possible to create the cars we have now - visualizing what is happening in the flow field is what enables us to really push the aero to it's limit.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Cold Fussion

It's probably more interesting (and more readily answerable) to contemplate what a car built to the 92 regulations would like if it were designed in 2018. I think even with the 26 years more of aerodynamics understanding it will be difficult to design a car that much more advanced without all the computer tools we have now.

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 22:07
gold333 wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

My point being that modern engineers aren't taught proper pencil/paper drafting anymore so without CAD they'd (we'd) be lost getting the geometries they want through the workshops. Then there's the CFD issue which is what makes it possible to create the cars we have now - visualizing what is happening in the flow field is what enables us to really push the aero to it's limit.
Gone is the cigarette packet or bar napkin 'eureka moment' :D
How do you doodle these days? on a tab? or a spreadsheet?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:52
Gone is the cigarette packet or bar napkin 'eureka moment' :D
How do you doodle these days? on a tab? or a spreadsheet?
One still doodles.
#aerogandalf

gold333

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 22:07
gold333 wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

Newey is known for being the last aerodynamicist who still sketches using a pencil and design table.

strad

I think the biggest issue you'd have in 92 would be the lack of tools (both hardware and software) to analyse, design and adequately test the aerodynamic solutions that today's designers implement. In other words
This is kind of what I was thinking.
Without the tools of today he would still be in a world where it was mostly seat of the pants and trial and error.
They got an idea and tried it. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.
They had begun to be as sophisticated but no where near what they have at there fingertips today.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jjn9128

gold333 wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 19:33
Newey is known for being the last aerodynamicist who still sketches using a pencil and design table.
I believe Newey started off drawing gearboxes and mechanical components for March.
#aerogandalf

strad

Yep he still uses a pencil and sketches but then he checks it with all the tools available.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss