2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Aldo Costa seems to be stepping down from his current role at the end of the season
"Aldo Costa has chosen to step back from his role as Engineering director at Mercedes to spend more time with his familiy in 2019. He will stay with the team as Technical Advisor. John Owen to step up in the engineering group."

garychopper
garychopper

The downfall of Mercedes has started.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- Leonardo da vinci

dans79

garychopper wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 16:45
Or, the guy might just want a break after having his nose to the grindstone for several years!
197 104 103 7

garychopper
garychopper

dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 16:52
garychopper wrote:
Or, the guy might just want a break after having his nose to the grindstone for several years!
It could be, but I am saying in the context of how things are playing out at Mercedes. Luca was a fool to let Aldo go under pressure from Alonso and Ferrari have felt his absence for many years.
Aldo IMHO, is responsible for a large part of Mercedes chassis over their dominating years.
Paddy was a good technical director in the sense that he worked and gelled well in the team, he wasn’t working on the actual car but was a guy who went along well with everyone.
When James Allison came in last year, he was in a way lucky, to inherit a car which was good from the get go. And I have a sneaking suspicion that he is trying to build ‘his’ team in Mercedes, Lorenzo Sassi etc and this is leading to tensions inside the team. With a strong competitor this year like Ferrari, they are feeling the heat and this is leading to even more pressure.
All speculation on my part of course but I think there is more to this Aldo family reunion than what meets the eye.
This is why I said what I said.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- Leonardo da vinci

Shakeman

It’s unheard of for any team to stay at the top indefinitely, many top chefs dread getting a third Michelin star as the only way is down.

These ‘departures’ appear to have been planned for and a successors brought in from the team so as smooth a transfer as possible is made. That’s all you can do and hope the next team can match or even improve upon the outgoing individuals.

This does not mean the end of Mercedes, they are not stupid and know the calibre of people who are required in those positions otherwise they would’ve got their cheque books out and bought the right staff a year ago.
Last edited by Shakeman on 13 Jul 2018, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

GPR-A duplicate2

garychopper wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 17:23
dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 16:52
garychopper wrote:
It could be, but I am saying in the context of how things are playing out at Mercedes. Luca was a fool to let Aldo go under pressure from Alonso and Ferrari have felt his absence for many years.
Aldo IMHO, is responsible for a large part of Mercedes chassis over their dominating years.
Paddy was a good technical director in the sense that he worked and gelled well in the team, he wasn’t working on the actual car but was a guy who went along well with everyone.
When James Allison came in last year, he was in a way lucky, to inherit a car which was good from the get go. And I have a sneaking suspicion that he is trying to build ‘his’ team in Mercedes, Lorenzo Sassi etc and this is leading to tensions inside the team. With a strong competitor this year like Ferrari, they are feeling the heat and this is leading to even more pressure.
All speculation on my part of course but I think there is more to this Aldo family reunion than what meets the eye.
This is why I said what I said.
Geoff Willis - Director of Digital Engineering Transformation at Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport - Leader of Aerodynamics.
Mike Elliott - Technology Director of Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport - Second in Line for Aerodynamics
John Owen - Chief Designer
James Allison - Technology Director
LOÏC SERRA – Chief Vehicle Dynamicist - Leader of Mechanical side of chassis.

One simple search on LinkedIn gives a small view of the depth of Mercedes AMG Petronas team. Brawn did a fabulous job of bringing in some of the most talented people in F1, to Mercedes and they have filled the team with many more talented people. When Paddy left, there was hardly a problem for the team.

LM10
LM10

It’s official: New contract for Hamilton.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lewi ... 61352/?s=1

De Jokke

Doesn't look good for Lewis or Merc atm, already down on points with the 2nd best car which also turns out to be less reliable…
(is this the same issue Bottas had during the Austrian gp, I think so)

A bit surprised merc missed the (Ferrari)trick with the engine there this season…

As Ferrari is matching or surpassing merc on development, I don't have much hope to be frankly or Merc has to turn it around with a monsterupdate, can't see it happening...
Hopefully tomorrow will spring a surprise in terms of outcome. Go team!
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Sierra117

De Jokke wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:12
Doesn't look good for Lewis or Merc atm, already down on points with the 2nd best car which also turns out to be less reliable…

A bit surprised merc missed the (Ferrari)trick with the engine there this season…

As Ferrari is matching or surpassing merc on development, I don't have much hope to be frankly or Merc has to turn it around with a monsterupdate, can't see it happening...
I'm personally fine with it all. I prefer it because it means the team now has stress to work with in order to solve the issues much better than if they were dominating and not fully committing to improving. You know what they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

Maybe they'll wait for the spec 3 PU and make it really bonkers.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

McMika98
McMika98

So Merc went towards size zero on rear and reduced engine size to aid aero. Allison boasted about this and claimed thus car would trounce last years. Little did they know it would come back to bite them. Cant see how they can gain the hp with the constraint they placed.

adrianjordan

Should they start from back and fit a new PU etc?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

De Jokke wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:12

What's with the doom and gloom? Hamilton came from last to second at Silverstone two weeks ago, if he'd have been in Q3 today then he'd have been in the fight for pole.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Gothrek
Gothrek

It might be my idea, but the team seems to be in a decline once that Allisson has joined. It is still an amazing team, but it seems to struggle more. Or is this just my feeling?

De Jokke

Gothrek wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:03
It might be my idea, but the team seems to be in a decline once that Allisson has joined. It is still an amazing team, but it seems to struggle more. Or is this just my feeling?
this!
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Jolle
Jolle

De Jokke wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 01:47
Gothrek wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:03
this!
reliability of small, even out developed parts (so more about quality control and procedures then design), has always been their weak point. For years it looks like a fight between the reliability of car (Mercedes) vs the reliability of driver (Vettel).
'14 was bad, '15 was solid, '16 there were a couple of nasty breakdowns again and in '17 the car was bullet proof. and now in '18 the gremlins are doing their thing again.